Rome (HBO)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah first few episodes were slower because your learning the characters and setting.

Deadwood and Carnivale better than Rome? Not even in the same universe. Put togther they cant touch Rome!

Good lord. Rome is good, but come on now. All three of those shows are some of the best on television in the last 10 years.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Finished this off. Wow, Titus Pullo is now my favorite character of all time. His classic lines were uncountable. To his wife: "of course i would save you instead of Vorenus, you're half his weight". He had some great kills too, that one by the peach tree was brutal.

It took a while to get used to the new Octavian, but he turned out to be a great choice. I loved how he delivered those one-liners.

I was expecting it to drop off a bit after Caesar died, but it actually got even better. I'll probably watch it again sometime down the road. It's worth watching again just to watch that friendship develop between Pullo and Vorenus.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Bump for Shane. Get on this! You can get the DVD's through Netflix.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As slow as it started for me, I wound up thinking this is one of the better shows I've ever seen. ...and Pullo remains my favorite character ever.

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
As slow as it start for me, I wound up think this is one of the better shows I've ever seen. ...and Pullo remains my favorite character ever.

Same here. I had to restart this show a couple times. And then just decided to wait for the DVDs.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump for Shane. Get on this! You can get the DVD's through Netflix.

Finally decided to watch this and I’m episode 6 season 2....

It’s is good and I’m enjoying it immensely however.... It is very annoying that the young Caesar went from a frail kid that looked 12 years old to a completely new actor that looks about 20 and is full grown. All while Lucious Vorenus kids all remained the same age and the same actors and didn’t grow or age one bit in the same time frame. It’s pretty damn lame.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Finally decided to watch this and I’m episode 6 season 2....

It’s is good and I’m enjoying it immensely however.... It is very annoying that the young Caesar went from a frail kid that looked 12 years old to a completely new actor that looks about 20 and is full grown. All while Lucious Vorenus kids all remained the same age and the same actors and didn’t grow or age one bit in the same time frame. It’s pretty damn lame.

How would you have done it differently? Short of having a different actor to start the series. Kids go through growth spurts all the time. The initial actor wouldn't have been able to carry the role in season 2. It was weird in the change, but easy for me to get past. Then again, it's one of my favorite shows, so I am biased.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would you have done it differently? Short of having a different actor to start the series. Kids go through growth spurts all the time. The initial actor wouldn't have been able to carry the role in season 2. It was weird in the change, but easy for me to get past. Then again, it's one of my favorite shows, so I am biased.

continued to use the younger actor? Or I’m guessing they had an idea of where it was going? Replace the kids of Verenus to show the time frame increase?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
continued to use the younger actor? Or I’m guessing they had an idea of where it was going? Replace the kids of Verenus to show the time frame increase?

I could see the latter choice, replacing the kids of Vorenus. The young actor pulled off young Octavian well, but wouldn't have been able to pull off the role moving forward.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I can see replacing the actor that played Octavian due to the time frame covered. It was about 25 years from the start of the show until the end. I think they did a decent job covering his age with the two actors without trying to get too cute with showing his aging.

Vorenus's kids on the other hand didn't age over 25 years. They didn't handle that well. Most of that family drama wasn't needed either. I found their season 2 arc to be a distraction from the rest of the show. They could have filled in more of the historical aspects or given a little more time to the Atia story line or others that involved the adult actors.

History Buffs did a couple good videos on the show too. Here's the first one that covers season 1 and he has a second video for season 2.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose