Rodney Hudson - returns after holding out?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not concerned about Hudson while Tretter is still out there. Worst case scenario we take Hudson's money and give it to Tretter.

My feeling on this is that it's a retirement thing. Honestly, I've never really felt Hudson's heart was in it from the day he was traded. His interviews have always been downbeat and lackluster. I don't think it's a Card's issue. He's 33 next month, a lot of linemen just get tired of the grind by that age, and I believe he just had another baby boy.

I don't believe his family moved to Arizona so when he's here he has to be away from his family. All that added together with being a multi millionaire and I can see why.

To be honest, if he's just going to phone it in for a wage then I'd rather he retire and we sign Tretter who is younger and hasn't missed a snap since 2015.

Last edited:

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not concerned about Hudson while Tretter is still out there. Worst case scenario we take Hudson's money and give it to Tretter.

My feeling on this is that it's a retirement thing. Honestly, I've never really felt Hudson's heart was in it from the day he was traded. His interviews have always been downbeat and lackluster. I don't think it's a Card's issue. He's 33 next month, a lot of linemen just get tired of the grind by that age, and I believe he just had another baby boy.

I don't believe his family moved to Arizona so when he's here he has to be away from his family. All that added together with being a multi millionaire and I can see why.

To be honest, if he's just going to phone it in for a wage then I'd rather he retire and we sign Tretter who is younger and hasn't missed a snap since 2015.
Allegedly before the cards traded for him and he was anticipating a release, he was lined up to go to the chiefs

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

If so, just another incredible waste of resources, both in terms of the draft pick and the compensation.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I googled it, one of the first links I found was Walter Mitchell talking about it and he linked some stat that said Hudson had the highest pass blocking efficiency in the NFC west last year, and Harlow was third! There is no way in the world Harlow can have graded out that good he was terrible?

Talk about bad news his current replacements are a guard who wanted to retire himself, and a 6th round draft pick.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I googled it, one of the first links I found was Walter Mitchell talking about it and he linked some stat that said Hudson had the highest pass blocking efficiency in the NFC west last year, and Harlow was third! There is no way in the world Harlow can have graded out that good he was terrible?

Talk about bad news his current replacements are a guard who wanted to retire himself, and a 6th round draft pick.
Bird City Culture.

Team is what it takes.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry I'm curious, whats your take on this. Is this a contract dispute?
I thought initially that he simply was making so much money he was willing to accept the financial loss of skipping minicamp. Most players hate these camps. However, the people I’ve talked with tell me he’s simply not certain he wants to put his body through the strain again as he has plenty of money. He seems to no longer be a driven guy. Sometimes, as the season nears, the competitive juices start to flow. Maybe he starts to miss it and return but that’s looking less likely as we don’t hear from him. Tretter would certainly be an option but he comes with a high risk factor. His knees are so bad that last season, while he played every game, he did not practice during the week. So he‘d have to come in and try to coordinate with guys without the benefit of practicing together. Certainly not the ideal scenario.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

You've seriously gone over the kool aider cliff now. Wow! No concern whatsoever? And you're guaranteeing Tretter will just sign with us and will be an adequate replacement? In what, la la land? Your optimism is based on complete unknowns here.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you think about it not a total shock at his age coming off a year where he had that very painful rib injury and then Covid.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I thought initially that he simply was making so much money he was willing to accept the financial loss of skipping minicamp. Most players hate these camps. However, the people I’ve talked with tell me he’s simply not certain he wants to put his body through the strain again as he has plenty of money. He seems to no longer be a driven guy. Sometimes, as the season nears, the competitive juices start to flow. Maybe he starts to miss it and return but that’s looking less likely as we don’t hear from him. Tretter would certainly be an option but he comes with a high risk factor. His knees are so bad that last season, while he played every game, he did not practice during the week. So he‘d have to come in and try to coordinate with guys without the benefit of practicing together. Certainly not the ideal scenario.
Maybe a glamour position like WR or QB, but I doubt a center his age is going to say to himself "I miss this". Yeah, he is leaving some major money on the table but he already made some millions and for him that might suffice and why not. It's like this with a sport like pro football, if your heart is not in it and you intend to play in the trenches, just get out

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You've seriously gone over the kool aider cliff now. Wow! No concern whatsoever? And you're guaranteeing Tretter will just sign with us and will be an adequate replacement? In what, la la land? Your optimism is based on complete unknowns here.

In the land that Tretter has been a great center for years, is currently unsigned and looking for a team. That land.

WTF would I stress about a center possibly retiring? Firstly, we don't know he is. He's not announced anything which suggests it's something he's considering rather than decided. Maybe he just wanted more time with his family and screw the £50k fine.

But if he does, well, we will survive.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
In the land that Tretter has been a great center for years, is currently unsigned and looking for a team. That land.

WTF would I stress about a center possibly retiring? Firstly, we don't know he is. He's not announced anything which suggests it's something he's considering rather than decided. Maybe he just wanted more time with his family and screw the £50k fine.

Let's just say I'm feeling comfortable for having bet the under, Kevin Bacon ;)

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Maybe a glamour position like WR or QB, but I doubt a center his age is going to say to himself "I miss this". Yeah, he is leaving some major money on the table but he already made some millions and for him that might suffice and why not. It's like this with a sport like pro football, if your heart is not in it and you intend to play in the trenches, just get out
His tenure with the Cards has been short but linemen develop a camaraderie with their unit members. It’s that old us vs. them mentality. You see quite a few guys hang on because they just feel empty without that locker room kinship. I think it’s one of the reasons many linemen play into their late 30s. Those guys rarely play for the glory at any point in their career. It’s peer recognition and relations that are important to them. Most long term linemen are well set financially, but they still keep coming back for more.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
thanks for the 2 cents Harry

Do you think its possible for team management ( certainly not the players) to sort of fold or punt on this season unofficially? Maybe use it as a dress rehearsal for next year when there is a little more money and planning time. Maybe use this season to get Moore/Brown/McBride. Its starting to look like that to me.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Should have just let dude go to the Chiefs like he wanted.

I cant remember all the details last year.. Was Corey Linsley's price too steep for us or was it a simple case of him choosing the Chargers? We seemed in panic mode after not getting him.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Center position is a brutal one. I'm sure that some of you have to remember Cory Raymer, who was a 2nd round pick in 95 by the Redskins out of Wisconsin. Our boys played travel lacrosse together, so I got to know him well. He played 11 seasons, mostly with the Skins, his body was messed up, but nothing like his hands. Dude couldn't even shake hands. Said he broke every finger multiple times. DL would intentionally step on his hands EVERY opportunity they had. After retirement, he was getting multiple cortisone shots into his hands & fingers every 3-6 months just to sleep at night.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Should have just let dude go to the Chiefs like he wanted.

I cant remember all the details last year.. Was Corey Linsley's price too steep for us or was it a simple case of him choosing the Chargers? We seemed in panic mode after not getting him.
Yeah, we were competitive with our offer to Linsley but he picked the Chargers.

Hudson was a great second choice, but yeah, probably should have just let him go to the Chiefs and addressed the position in the draft or something (especially with hindsight showing not much from our current ILB).

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, we were competitive with our offer to Linsley but he picked the Chargers.

Hudson was a great second choice, but yeah, probably should have just let him go to the Chiefs and addressed the position in the draft or something (especially with hindsight showing not much from our current ILB).
Yea its a bit hindsight. Cant blame Keim for making the move although Im not sure I loved giving up a 3rd for him.

We get Hudson who may be done after a year. Chiefs, who Hudson wanted, gets Creed Humphrey for the next 10 to 15 years.

Such is life.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Los Angeles Rams, WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Arizona Cardinals, WE WILL SURVIVE!

Catchy.