Rodney Hudson holding out?

QuebecCard

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is some championship caliber idiocy by our sage GM.

If Hudson does retire, Jones and the 2 rookies will be the only O-linemen under contract next year. That's if the 2 rookies even make the team. Meanwhile, Keim is out there blowing a second round pick on a guy who he thinks could develop into an Austin Hooper-type player.

The FO is quickly becoming a full blown clown show. Hard Knocks should be something.

You can find posts from not too long ago that suggested we replace all 5 starters going into this off-season.

"KC did it, why can't we?" was the essence of the argument.

Name the o-lineman you'd have selected with our second-round pick?

Dayman

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You can find posts from not too long ago that suggested we replace all 5 starters going into this off-season.

You can find posts that say a lot of things. Doesn't mean they are good ideas.

I personally would have just drafted Linderbaum in the 1st, but assuming the Hollywood trade already happened, my preferences for 2nd round O-linemen would have been

1. Move up for Jugens
2. Goedeke
3. Ingram

I would have also taken Jackson and possibly Bonitto over Ingram, but I would have drafted any 5 of those players ahead of McBride if I was in Keim's situation.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you knew there was a chance Hudson was going to retire you take Linderbaum in the 1st round.

And then you simply trade your 2nd round pick for Hollywood. I think Baltimore would have caved on that deal since Hollywood wanted out and they were likely not going to pay him anyway.

Or simply move up to acquire Jurgens in the 2nd round. Dont get me wrong cause I've really started to warm up to the McBride pick. He could be really good.

I just dont know how Oline isnt a factor when Pugh and Hudson had serious questions about playing football again in 2022.
Pretty shocking when your C and LG are both contemplating retirement you choose to stay the course and just add two late round picks. Bold strategy, let's see how it plays out.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

You have to admit that it is a pretty bold strategy to just give Kyler more weapons when faced with both Pugh and Hudson considering retirement vs adding players on the line.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Pretty shocking when your C and LG are both contemplating retirement you choose to stay the course and just add two late round picks. Bold strategy, let's see how it plays out.
I don't disagree, but...

We made the Hollywood trade long before we knew who would be on the board at 25 (e.g. Linderbaum). I feel like there's a lot hindsight coming into play criticizing that now. And people would be complaining just as much if we were looking at a WR trio of Green/Wesley/Moore for the first six games of the season.

I didn't love any of the 2nd round OL as compared to taking the consensus top tight end.

Taking two front 7 players in the 3rd round can be questioned though. Taking Dylan Parham or Sean Rhyan over Cameron Thomas would put things in a little better perspective on the OL right now.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but...

We made the Hollywood trade long before we knew who would be on the board at 25 (e.g. Linderbaum). I feel like there's a lot hindsight coming into play criticizing that now. And people would be complaining just as much if we were looking at a WR trio of Green/Wesley/Moore for the first six games of the season.

I didn't love any of the 2nd round OL as compared to taking the consensus top tight end.

Taking two front 7 players in the 3rd round can be questioned though. Taking Dylan Parham or Sean Rhyan over Cameron Thomas would put things in a little better perspective on the OL right now.
I think it is easy to say it is hindsight when in fact, we made the decision knowing we would be without Hopkins and potentially without Hudson (maybe Pugh). Keim made a decision to add a pass catcher vs an offensive linemen. He made a choice. Disagreeing with that choice is not hindsight it is a difference of opinion. Keim said WR and TE are more important.

Is it better for Kyler to have Hollywood Brown vs a competent C? Which is the easier spot to fill or the role that has more options? For me, I would have prioritized the line. If Kyler gets hurt, again, I will be able to say Keim made another dumb decision to minimize the line and set the season up for failure. If Kyler stays healthy, well I can say that Keim was potentially right. We will see.

FB94

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keim probably thinks he can sit down with them and talk them out of it

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think it is easy to say it is hindsight when in fact, we made the decision knowing we would be without Hopkins and potentially without Hudson (maybe Pugh). Keim made a decision to add a pass catcher vs an offensive linemen. He made a choice. Disagreeing with that choice is not hindsight it is a difference of opinion. Keim said WR and TE are more important.

Is it better for Kyler to have Hollywood Brown vs a competent C? Which is the easier spot to fill or the role that has more options? For me, I would have prioritized the line. If Kyler gets hurt, again, I will be able to say Keim made another dumb decision to minimize the line and set the season up for failure. If Kyler stays healthy, well I can say that Keim was potentially right. We will see.
But we made the trade before knowing that an offensive lineman we liked would even be there. Suppose that Linderbaum was selected before 25 (which by no means would have been seen as surprising), would you be happier with Cam Jurgens at 25 instead of Hollywood Brown? It's no guarantee that Baltimore would have agreed to the trade if we were on the clock - especially if the guy they ultimately took was gone.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But we made the trade before knowing that an offensive lineman we liked would even be there. Suppose that Linderbaum was selected before 25 (which by no means would have been seen as surprising), would you be happier with Cam Jurgens at 25 instead of Hollywood Brown? It's no guarantee that Baltimore would have agreed to the trade if we were on the clock - especially if the guy they ultimately took was gone.
The trade wasn’t confirmed until it was confirmed. The basics were agreed to, but we could and would have taken someone else if a more highly graded player had been available.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The trade wasn’t confirmed until it was confirmed. The basics were agreed to, but we could and would have taken someone else if a more highly graded player had been available.
The trade was confirmed right after Baltimore made their pick, which was several picks before ours.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I am stunned that the Front Office knew about this before the draft. This is on them, not Hudson. And much of the rest of the offensive line is in limbo without long term deals. Terrible.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ARZ knew before end of season Hopkins would get hit with a suspension. There was no reason not to target FA WR's especially when the Top 6 WR's were projected to be gone by #23. Even if one dropped, they should have been a bonus. Had they acquired a WR or 2 before draft then Lindebaum would have been the perfect pick.

The thing is ARZ could trade for OL, pass rusher, CB but they don't have the money and are going to use TV money to pay Murray $175M+ because Bidwill can't throw Kroenke money in bonuses.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really hope this one is false. Friend who's a big Raiders fan says that Hudson told former teammates he hates playing in the shotgun so much in Arizona and it's a big reason why he is considering retirement. he was leaning that way in the near future anyways but after all the problems he had snapping from the gun last year he just isn't sure he has it in him to play another year in that offense.

if that's true Keim has to go. If you're going to acquire a C and you know your offense is almost entirely NOT under Center, you better find out if the guy you're getting can do it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Really hope this one is false. Friend who's a big Raiders fan says that Hudson told former teammates he hates playing in the shotgun so much in Arizona and it's a big reason why he is considering retirement. he was leaning that way in the near future anyways but after all the problems he had snapping from the gun last year he just isn't sure he has it in him to play another year in that offense.

if that's true Keim has to go. If you're going to acquire a C and you know your offense is almost entirely NOT under Center, you better find out if the guy you're getting can do it.
That’s kind of a weird deal considering he was reportedly planning to go to KC if he’d been cut by Vegas and they play a ton out of the gun too, I think.

But still horrible work by Keim because Hudson struggled with his shotgun snaps all year.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Except, back in january when kylers agent submitted a contract proposal....they stated it was structured to allow the team to get more players or something to that affect.
Maybe k1 knew brown could be had, and his position was...get my boy and ill play for 10m a year less... dont get him and i want the biggest contract in league history.

We have limited information in regards to what options the team had, what conditions they were working under, and exactly when they got the information.

I would think the ravens were tough to deal with. They have a historically tough front office, anyone with twitter knew k1 and HW wanted to play together....and everyone in the western hemisphere knew k1 was wanting a deal.
Maybe they wanted HW for a pair of seconds so they could add IOL in the first...but it didnt work out that way.

As it stands its up to kliff.
Run heavy offense, 12 personnel...keep the defense on its heels...that will slow down the pass rush enough to get a few pass plays per drive even with a weak center