Rodney Hudson - returns after holding out?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can’t get on board that it was an even OK let along good pass rush Oline. Packers game and rest of the season it was gawd awful in pass protection. I’m not even sure how good it was during the first half of the year to be frank - was it good because teams were still trying to figure out our schemes? Was it good until teams realized our weakness was our interior line, thus apply more pressure there?

Our line was bad against bad pass rush Defenses even in our winning streak (Texans dominated our Oline in the first half of that game). You are giving way to much credit to this offensive line. It’s bad. The only elite player would be a Hudson on the back end of his career. I don’t see a top 16 starter elsewhere on the Oline and that’s being generous.
I firmly believe that Hump is a top 16 LT, but I agree with the rest.

Hudson is still top 3 and arguably all pro.
Hump is a top 10-16 LT.
The rest are well below average and wouldn't start on most teams.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I firmly believe that Hump is a top 16 LT, but I agree with the rest.

Hudson is still top 3 and arguably all pro.
Hump is a top 10-16 LT.
The rest are well below average and wouldn't start on most teams.

Push is probably our most consistent lineman and doesn't get a mention? He didn't allow a sack all last year. Only 1 the year before.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Push is probably our most consistent lineman and doesn't get a mention? He didn't allow a sack all last year. Only 1 the year before.
The OTHER guy considering retirement, who weighs about 230 now? (Oh, I also hear he might be our starting center too!)

Below average line.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still believe that Pugh would not start on most teams in this league. I think he is a bottom half starter, or better yet, a valuable backup.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still believe that Pugh would not start on most teams in this league. I think he is a bottom half starter, or better yet, a valuable backup.

I don't have last years stats but the year before he was the 13th ranked Guard in the league for Pass Pro per PFF and he allowed less sacks last year than that year. He would start on most teams.

Edit. He was 25th last year in pass pro. There are 64 starting Guards so he's going to start on most teams.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't have last years stats but the year before he was the 13th ranked Guard in the league for Pass Pro per PFF and he allowed less sacks last year than that year. He would start on most teams.

Edit. He was 25th last year in pass pro. There are 64 starting Guards so he's going to start on most teams.
Per FO, 801 snaps, 3 penalties, 1.0 sacks, 6 blown pass blocks, 3 blown run blocks.

Will Hernandez was 8/4.5/17/13 in 1048 snaps with the Giants.

If we had Humphries, Hudson, and three Pugh-quality starters on our OL, we'd be among the best units in the NFL.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per FO, 801 snaps, 3 penalties, 1.0 sacks, 6 blown pass blocks, 3 blown run blocks.

Will Hernandez was 8/4.5/17/13 in 1048 snaps with the Giants.

If we had Humphries, Hudson, and three Pugh-quality starters on our OL, we'd be among the best units in the NFL.
Pugh is better our starting LG or RT, but it isn't saying much.
This guy just trying to skip training camp or what?
I'd be fine with that.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like Pugh. Im just saying by the end of the year he looked like a guy seriously considering retirement. Maybe playing center rejuvenates him, but its risky.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have a novel idea, why can't the guys we drafted pick up the slack? They have the size and by all accounts our OL coach Sean Kugler is good at his craft. It's not like I am asking them to play the tackle position... sorry, guess I am basing my observations on a normal franchise

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I have a novel idea, why can't the guys we drafted pick up the slack? They have the size and by all accounts our OL coach Sean Kugler is good at his craft. It's not like I am asking them to play the tackle position... sorry, guess I am basing my observations on a normal franchise
Having third-day rookies start the season on the OL is unusual for a normal (successful) NFL franchise.

You'd love to have Mason Cole ready to play, but he was shipped to Minnesota, where he started 7 games gave up 2 sacks with 11 blown pass blocks and 4 blown run blocks. Now he is a likely starter in Pittsburgh.

It'd be cool if Lamont Gaillard was ready to take on a bigger role, but he was waived out of camp last year and didn't play a snap.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Having third-day rookies start the season on the OL is unusual for a normal (successful) NFL franchise.

You'd love to have Mason Cole ready to play, but he was shipped to Minnesota, where he started 7 games gave up 2 sacks with 11 blown pass blocks and 4 blown run blocks. Now he is a likely starter in Pittsburgh.

It'd be cool if Lamont Gaillard was ready to take on a bigger role, but he was waived out of camp last year and didn't play a snap.
Even more so than our LBs, there comes a time when you have to throw the youngins out there. I just don't see how we can sustain a franchise when we cannot fill out at least some positions with draft picks. I guess that is what they are about to do with the OL. Keim is like some woman who keeps buying clothes on Amazon but then does not wear them because she does not like the way they look on her.... boy, now that's a warped analogy lol

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Oh, it's hilarious hearing Stiller radio debate if Mason Cole is an upgrade. Just makes me cackle at their OL problems.

Because, if I didn't laugh about their OL, I'd cry about ours.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a reminder that all this talk about Hudson is not from a single official source. I don't believe the Cardinals mentioned retirement, that all came from Chuck Harris saying "From what I hear..."

I could be just as simple has him recently having a new kid and not wanting to leave his family for a 3 day mandatory camp. In his situation I might swallow the 50k fine like it was pocket change too.

I'd wager it's more likely that's all it was. He's had several weeks to contemplate retirement and hasn't announced anything, if you're retiring it doesn't take this long. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him there on day 1 of camp.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just a reminder that all this talk about Hudson is not from a single official source. I don't believe the Cardinals mentioned retirement, that all came from Chuck Harris saying "From what I hear..."

I could be just as simple has him recently having a new kid and not wanting to leave his family for a 3 day mandatory camp. In his situation I might swallow the 50k fine like it was pocket change too.

I'd wager it's more likely that's all it was. He's had several weeks to contemplate retirement and hasn't announced anything, if you're retiring it doesn't take this long. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him there on day 1 of camp.
Sure would be simple for him or the cards to diffuse all this and just say “he isn’t retiring” if that was the case.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Another area where Keim makes strange decisions. Bailing on younger players to have older backups instead of developing those younger players. Maybe they felt like they had seen enough from Cole and Gaillard but the cupboard is now bare.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave