Rodney Hudson - returns after holding out?

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
So is Hudson retiring or not? All indications are yes but until training camp begins, I’m holding out a glimmer of hope.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, it's all good. We got this.

You must be registered for see images attach

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Do you have some stats to support your 'wayyyy'?
Ya try the eye test on this one pal.. pretty sure they don’t actually record “escaped sacks”. When your QB runs a 4.4 and see him outrun DLs chasing him down its rather obvious. Burrow would have lead the league in being sacked on AZ as well, perhaps beating his number with far less talent and far less WR separation.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ya try the eye test on this one pal.. pretty sure they don’t actually record “escaped sacks”. When your QB runs a 4.4 and see him outrun DLs chasing him down its rather obvious. Burrow would have lead the league in being sacked on AZ as well, perhaps beating his number with far less talent and far less WR separation.

Well, my eye test includes quite a few sacks of KM as a result of not stepping up and taking advantage of a pocket and/or bailing out too soon. This, of course, lacks specific stats but unlike you, I won't pass off my observations as gospel.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, my eye test includes quite a few sacks of KM as a result of not stepping up and taking advantage of a pocket and/or bailing out too soon. This, of course, lacks specific stats but unlike you, I won't pass off my observations as gospel.
Lol, he undoubtedly could have done that at times.. hard to ask him to do that consistently when the line was a swinging gate half the season. Certainly wouldn’t want our tiny QB being crushed.

Packers game was a real turning point in regards to that. Even with their best pass rusher out (Zardarius) they were consistently in the backfield.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If the team is in fact trying to get Hudson to come back to play, that in itself is a bad omen. Every time someone is convinced to come back to do something, it almost never works out. Their heart really isn't in it and often they change their mind. Can you imagine how bad it would be if Hudson decided at the end of camp or a few games in that he decided it was a mistake to come back and decides to retire? I think the team should be looking forward, not trying to convince Hudson to reconsider.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Lol, he undoubtedly could have done that at times.. hard to ask him to do that consistently when the line was a swinging gate half the season. Certainly wouldn’t want our tiny QB being crushed.

Packers game was a real turning point in regards to that. Even with their best pass rusher out (Zardarius) they were consistently in the backfield.
I want our tiny QB to have the sack to step up into the pocket, be willing to take a hit when needed, and certainly to take advantage when there is a pocket rather than ruining the pass pro by getting scared and bailing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our pass pro is wayyyyy over rated because of Kylers ability to avoid sacks (yes a handful of the sacks he does take are long ones thinking he can escapes but he evades wayyyy more).

So what your saying is that Kyler is good at avoiding sacks and his passer rating under pressure is very good at 100.6 and considering that we don't need an elite O line to win games. Which is evident.

It's clear Kyler can play well and we can win games (and win them by big scores) with an average O line. There may way be a valid argument to say the O line needs to be better to win a superbowl.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Either way, the Cards (Keim) don't seem to have a plan, or at least a good one.

If he had a plan would you (or any of us) know about it? Of course we wouldn't because if we know about it the whole league knows about it.

So baring that in mind, how do you know he doesn't have a plan?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So what your saying is that Kyler is good at avoiding sacks and his passer rating under pressure is very good at 100.6 and considering that we don't need an elite O line to win games. Which is evident.

It's clear Kyler can play well and we can win games (and win them by big scores) with an average O line. There may way be a valid argument to say the O line needs to be better to win a superbowl.
So what you're saying is you denounce the fact that KM got shell-shocked by bad pass pro late in the season and didn't begin to go fetal/bail on solid pockets because of it? You feel the pass pro was perfectly adequate against the Rams in the playoffs? And late in the season?

I swear, if you said one bad thing about this team, it would be the first time. You are a front office patsy, through and through.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So what you're saying is you denounce the fact that KM got shell-shocked by bad pass pro late in the season and didn't begin to go fetal/bail on solid pockets because of it? You feel the pass pro was perfectly adequate against the Rams in the playoffs? And late in the season?

I swear, if you said one bad thing about this team, it would be the first time. You are a front office patsy, through and through.

I say bad things about this team all the time. I've literally wrote whole posts saying how bad Kliff's scheme has been or how Kyler is terrible at going through his reads and misses wide open guys all the time.

I just don't invent reasons to be angry all the time and the O line last year wasn't one of them. Kyler wasn't terrible in the playoffs because of the O line. The O line looked bad in the playoffs because Kyler was terrible.

Do I think this O line is great? Nope. But it's decent. It was certainly the best O line we have had for some time. Maybe this best in the Mike Bidwill era. Yet, here we are 20 pages into a thread largely moaning about the O line when it's not even a bottom 3 area of concern.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Here's some more negative observations for you. Jalen Thompson is massively overrated by this fan base because he made a few nice open field tackles last year. Budda Baker is a good player but also overrated by all fans, his coverage skills really let him down otherwise he would be elite.

This one isn't new as I've said it before but Byron Murphy is a JAG and after 3 years I don't see him ever being anything but a JAG. He's just about starter level but bottom end starter in the league. He's a below average #2 CB at best and a huge bust for pick #33.

I never thought Simmons was a linebacker. From pre draft I always thought he could be an elite strong safety. I have grave concerns about him ever being more than a below average linebacker.

Kyler has the talent to be a top 5 QB in the league for the next 10 years. I have serious doubts about his attitude and mental toughness to ever get near that level.

Lots of things I could complain about. I just don't feel the need to all the time. I prefer to focus on the positive.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
So you're just myopic in regards to the OL and are an across-the-board supporter of the FOs entire offseason approach. Check.
Murray does not pass the eye test, most on here watch Card games start to finish and see he does play scared. Most media only watch highlights when praising him and were shocked after the playoff game. No one on here should be shocked that mighty mouse went limp when facing physicality against the Rams. Cards will cave, and give the pouty midget 200M and he will slide into sacks and most likely miss multiple games due a shin bruises etc....

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say bad things about this team all the time. I've literally wrote whole posts saying how bad Kliff's scheme has been or how Kyler is terrible at going through his reads and misses wide open guys all the time.

I just don't invent reasons to be angry all the time and the O line last year wasn't one of them. Kyler wasn't terrible in the playoffs because of the O line. The O line looked bad in the playoffs because Kyler was terrible.

Do I think this O line is great? Nope. But it's decent. It was certainly the best O line we have had for some time. Maybe this best in the Mike Bidwill era. Yet, here we are 20 pages into a thread largely moaning about the O line when it's not even a bottom 3 area of concern.

Here's some more negative observations for you. Jalen Thompson is massively overrated by this fan base because he made a few nice open field tackles last year. Budda Baker is a good player but also overrated by all fans, his coverage skills really let him down otherwise he would be elite.

This one isn't new as I've said it before but Byron Murphy is a JAG and after 3 years I don't see him ever being anything but a JAG. He's just about starter level but bottom end starter in the league. He's a below average #2 CB at best and a huge bust for pick #33.

I never thought Simmons was a linebacker. From pre draft I always thought he could be an elite strong safety. I have grave concerns about him ever being more than a below average linebacker.

Kyler has the talent to be a top 5 QB in the league for the next 10 years. I have serious doubts about his attitude and mental toughness to ever get near that level.

Lots of things I could complain about. I just don't feel the need to all the time. I prefer to focus on the positive.
Not a single criticism about Keim/FO. Hilarious.

You proved Stout was right.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Murray does not pass the eye test, most on here watch Card games start to finish and see he does play scared. Most media only watch highlights when praising him and were shocked after the playoff game. No one on here should be shocked that mighty mouse went limp when facing physicality against the Rams. Cards will cave, and give the pouty midget 200M and he will slide into sacks and most likely miss multiple games due a shin bruises etc....

Yeah, it's a real pity that KM doesn't ram himself into guys who outweigh him by 30, 40, 50 lbs to prove he's as tough as Ole Sparky.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Knowing that we have the Rams and 49ers in our division I'm still surprised they didnt move up for Cam Jurgens.

I have serious concerns that even though Pugh will physically "play" in 2022, but he'll be mentally checked out.

Even if Hudson comes back I hope Justin Murray and Hernandez are ready to roll..

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you're just myopic in regards to the OL and are an across-the-board supporter of the FOs entire offseason approach. Check.

If you mean myopic as in "The line was fine last year and hasn't got worse so I don't feel a need to complain" then yes.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not a single criticism about Keim/FO. Hilarious.

You proved Stout was right.

Well yeah sure I have. I wrote a bunch of times about how Mike Bidwill is a huge hindrance to this team. Both as an owner of more limited means, and his propensity to meddle in football matters.

The problem with Mike is that he's simultaneously far, far better than his father and all others that came before him, and limited in wealth and vision. I like Mike, I seriously think he's a good guy and one of the better people in the league. I just don't think the Cards have a shot at being anything more than they have been the last 10 years with him at the helm. I'd love to see the franchise sold but that will never happen.

Regarding Keim, he's an average GM. He's not the garbage some here make out. He has his pro's and con's. I think he's capable of putting a team together that can win a SB, if Mike Brown can get that close than any GM can, and I think there's a very high chance that if we replace him we end up with someone worse because this franchise doesn't attract the top candidates. I also think in general GM's are less important than people make out, especially one that has their owner hovering over their shoulder.

I'm old enough to remember was Les Snead was garbage without a winning season. Now he has meme's and a superbowl ring. Did he suddenly become good after 5 years or did he just strike gold with the right coach and then the right QB? Our future rides far more on Kliff and Kyler than Keim.

This franchise does not attract the best coaches, the best scouts, the best FO talent. We have always had to hope to strike gold with long shots and in house promotions and cross our fingers they don't get hired away. That's what happened with BA and Carson Palmer in many ways. Remember those days when everyone thought Keim was great?

To change that we have to be more consistent in results. Start attracting the better players, coaches, scouts etc. Be a franchise people want to go to rather than get away from. I'm not sure changing Keim now achieves that. I think there is a stronger chance it makes us worse.

The future of this franchise relies on us getting game 1-8 Kliff and Kyler more often than and game 12-17 Kliff and Kyler.

If it makes you feel any better they will either succeed or in a few years both Keim and Kliff will be gone. I don't think Keim gets a contract beyond this extension unless we make the playoffs consistently and is considered a contender for at least some of that time.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave