Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
If I was an owner I’m coming after guaranteed money.

This is getting ridiculous Durant with 4 years left is wanting out when the team has given them everything they’ve asked for. The owners are getting screwed kinda
I do think players should not be able to make a request until they are NN% through their contract or have a early out penalty.

But I think the above happens only if there is some kind-of penalty of minimum commitment requirement as a standard for owners in trades, waivers & declined options.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think players should not be able to make a request until they are NN% through their contract or have a early out penalty.

But I think the above happens only if there is some kind-of penalty of minimum commitment requirement as a standard for owners in trades, waivers & declined options.

Players can get trade kickers in their contract giving them 15% raises or bonuses if they're traded. It should go both ways where demanding a trade costs 15%. That's probably the most ownership could negotiate but I think it would be significant. It's fair also. The NBA is a business, that allows both sides the ability to move on for a price.

I don't imagine it would be standard in all deals and players would likely want an out of sorts. I'm not sure how to work that but I could see that being a sticking point for players and most stars would probably avoid being effected because they'd negotiate that out into their deals initially.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The players might bite on if they also received no-trade clauses during those same early years of a contract. I doubt the owners would be keen on it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Players can get trade kickers in their contract giving them 15% raises or bonuses if they're traded. It should go both ways where demanding a trade costs 15%. That's probably the most ownership could negotiate but I think it would be significant. It's fair also. The NBA is a business, that allows both sides the ability to move on for a price.

I don't imagine it would be standard in all deals and players would likely want an out of sorts. I'm not sure how to work that but I could see that being a sticking point for players and most stars would probably avoid being effected because they'd negotiate that out into their deals initially.

What does that have to do with the Sarver investigation entering it's final stages?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah an early out penalty or loss of money for a player

It must suck to be a nets fan right now.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah an early out penalty or loss of money for a player

It must suck to be a nets fan right now.

Other than the LeBron Lakers, there probably has never been a more artificial collection of talent. Other "superteams", they had to draft someone huge, or swing some big trades to form up. The Nets, by virtue of having no one worth paying after a decade of bad signings, bad drafts and some horrendous trades, had cap space and market appeal to sign two flawed superstars.

Brooklyn did basically everything wrong for their entire "Brooklyn" existence, bumble****ed into some mega stars, accomplished nothing with them and now want a fortune to let these players go.

It must suck for their 'fans'...

Good.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There needs to be a remedy for the owners who sign players to huge guaranteed contracts.
But owners can trade players whenever. Players have pointed out that for most of the NBA's existence it was the owners who had all the power.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But owners can trade players whenever. Players have pointed out that for most of the NBA's existence it was the owners who had all the power.

This is true. The fans are the ones who need the remedy.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think this is going to go how people think. Usually when there is something bad it seems like somehow things always leak. We have not heard anything.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Yep, I'm afraid we're stuck with him. At the very least he approved the Ayton match and says he's willing to go into luxury tax territory. Well, hopefully the worst case is he stays but the environment improves. You can see that they're trying with the woman GM hire and the Ryan Resch "first openly gay person in NBA history to work in a team's basketball operations" article from ESPN. I'm not sure how that's true when Rick Welts worked here. I guess maybe he wasn't in basketball operations?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm afraid we're stuck with him. At the very least he approved the Ayton match and says he's willing to go into luxury tax territory. Well, hopefully the worst case is he stays but the environment improves. You can see that they're trying with the woman GM hire and the Ryan Resch "first openly gay person in NBA history to work in a team's basketball operations" article from ESPN. I'm not sure how that's true when Rick Welts worked here. I guess maybe he wasn't in basketball operations?
At least short term. Once this CP3 run is over? I expect a fire sale if they can’t get another superstar on this team to play with Book to keep a run going. With Sarver I always feel like there is a thin line between going for it and blowing it up.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
At least short term. Once this CP3 run is over? I expect a fire sale if they can’t get another superstar on this team to play with Book to keep a run going. With Sarver I always feel like there is a thin line between going for it and blowing it up.
Man, I hope this isn't just a spike in the graph and that we're able to sustain some long-term success. But no, past history doesn't support that. However, I do trust in James Jones so my hope is alive. On the other hand, he doesn't seem to interested in the draft so that scares me a bit.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think this is going to go how people think. Usually when there is something bad it seems like somehow things always leak. We have not heard anything.
I'm not sure anyone here is going to be all that shocked by the outcome, whichever way it goes. It seems to me that there are only a few real possibilities:

1. He's forced out directly as a result of the investigation - 33.1% Chance.

2. He's publicly cleared of major wrongdoing but privately encouraged to leave on his own terms in the very near future - 33.5% Chance.

3. He's cleared without any real consequences beyond some recommendations to improve working conditions - 33.3% Chance.

4. He's kidnapped by aliens and never seen again - .1% chance.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to see how Robert Sarver comes through the NBA investigation totally unscathed which is probably true of most people in this position. That's the nature of the job and it's easy to make enemies in a position of power.

He has done a lot of things right especially since he hired James Jones as the GM.

I can see why he wants to see the investigation through to clear his name. Afterwards I can see him gracefully exit.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure anyone here is going to be all that shocked by the outcome, whichever way it goes. It seems to me that there are only a few real possibilities:

2. He's publicly cleared of major wrongdoing but privately encouraged to leave on his own terms in the very near future - 33.5% Chance.

3. He's cleared without any real consequences beyond some recommendations to improve working conditions - 33.3% Chance.

#4….#4…….#4

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Sarver news won't go down while this KD drama plays out. Imagine if the Sarver news comes out and then KD is dealt somewhere else. Silver and the league office would be blamed for blowing the deal for PHX. Some pundits say the KD saga could draw out past September.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

#2 would be my choice.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the report will have just enough concrete stuff to tarnish him... but not enough to force him out.

I expect the conclusion will basically read "He isn't overtly sexist or racist, he is just an aloof jackass who makes people uncomfortable."

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now that we know more about McD and Sarver, that must have been some absolutely distfunctional pair. McD seems to be on the spectrum, and Sarver is the awkward little rich kid desperately trying to fit in with the cool kids but without a reasonable self-awareness.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose