Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the hell, Silver? It's just like the Brock Turner judgment. The focus is on the damage to the perpetrator's reputation, and how that should shape our thinking for what constitutes an appropriate punishment. Very disappointing.
yeah... that hurt to read. this is so f'ed up... while being completely and utterly predictable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He allegedly also called Ayton a lazy ________

It must be extremely difficult for the players & coaches. Monty & James are both on records stating that not the Sarver I know and never heard of what Sarver's being accused of. What do they say now? How do they feel? Over 300 fellow co-workers said differently. I know rumors always run rampant on my job. Nothing is a secret.

This comment was corrected by Stephen A. Smith on behalf of Jalen Rose.

By Duane Rankin Arizona Republic:

"(Rose) wants us to make clear that he did not mean to suggest that Sarver actually spoke those words," Smith said. "And to be clear, ESPN has never reported that Sarver used those words to describe Deandre Ayton. Jalen used those words to try to express his personal opinion that the way Sarver handled Ayton's contract situation was demeaning to a Black player and would be perceived that way by other Black players."

Smith concluded by saying, "Jalen recognizes it was a mistake and we apologize for the miscommunication."

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
While Gambo didn't duck the realities of the situation, his first radio discussion of the news was prefaced with the understanding that some are "disgruntled employees" (which he repeated another time or 2) and Sarver has been "an NBA leader in hiring minorities."

after a full year of over 300 interviews the time for even mentioning disgruntled employees is over.
and it's irrelevant how many minorities you hire if you treat them like sheet. Like when he asked an employee, "do i own you?"

well,
what can you expect from the radio "home of the Suns?"
and the NBA league commissioner?

more!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have not read this entire thread, but do you believe as long as Sarver is the owner, free agents will look elsewhere and not sign with the Suns?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver is basically Alan from the Hangover

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While Gambo didn't duck the realities of the situation, his first radio discussion of the news was prefaced with the understanding that some are "disgruntled employees" (which he repeated another time or 2) and Sarver has been "an NBA leader in hiring minorities."

after a full year of over 300 interviews the time for even mentioning disgruntled employees is over.
and it's irrelevant how many minorities you hire if you treat them like sheet. Like when he asked an employee, "do i own you?"

well,
what can you expect from the radio "home of the Suns?"
and the NBA league commissioner?

more!

Gambo is Sarver's friend.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:biglaugh:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
also, i do not believe Sun's active players should take action.
they are, of course, in a difficult position being that the boss controls their future and salaries

but players should get involved
more specifically, isn't that what the Player's Association/union is for -- protecting the interests of players?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the Adam Silver press conference concerning the NBA suspension of Robert Sarver.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not read this entire thread, but do you believe as long as Sarver is the owner, free agents will look elsewhere and not sign with the Suns?
money talks... but I think it will definitely make attracting them harder.

that report is grotesque... not just because what it says about Sarver, but the systematic abuses throughout the entire franchise. I mean, the HR team BREAKING CONFIDENTIALITY agreements? That's ILLEGAL behavior.

and well.. so is all the physical, emotional and mental harrasment that was able to flow freely through the organization.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also, i do not believe Sun's active players should take action.
they are, of course, in a difficult position being that the boss controls their future and salaries

but players should get involved
more specifically, isn't that what the Player's Association/union is for -- protecting the interests of players?
totally agree.

and a tweet by LeBron isn't good enough. The rest of the guys in the league really should take ACTION to rally around the Suns players.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the Adam Silver press conference concerning the NBA suspension of Robert Sarver.

HOLY CRAP - I know the secret context in which the racism and msyoginy run amuck for 18 years is actually not that bad.

I now HATE Silver also. This is ******* DISGUSTING AND INSULTING.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adam Silver seemed to stress this was the same law firm that handled the Donald Sterling matter and that he had access to information that was not available to the public which put a nuance on this matter that others may not see.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adam Silver seemed to stress this was the same law firm that handled the Donald Sterling matter and that he had access to information that was not available to the public which put a nuance on this matter that others may not see.
that is such a horse-manure response (Silver's, not yours). if there's something exculpatory to separate the two, wouldn't Sarver, the guy getting trashed, WANT that info out there? Alluding to "secret evidence" but not being able to tell anyone what it is is a freaking joke.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is such a horse-manure response (Silver's, not yours). if there's something exculpatory to separate the two, wouldn't Sarver, the guy getting trashed, WANT that info out there? Alluding to "secret evidence" but not being able to tell anyone what it is is a freaking joke.

I don't think it's secret evidence, but since Silver has access to confidential information that is not available to the public, he can better put it in context.

However, I still think the NBA had the justification it needed to remove Robert Sarver as the Suns owner.

IMO, this is a missed opportunity that will challenge the power of the NBA going forward.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know see the significance of audio / visual evidence. Sterling's audio recording is damning because it is out there for everyone to access and never be forgotten. Years from now people can hear for themselves how racist Sterling is. Even though Sarver was found to have said racist and misogynistic comments, without audio for people to get first hand perspective for themselves its easy to downplay because its coming second hand.

That is the only difference I can see from Sterling to Sarver but Sarver is worse in that he is both racist and sexist. I believe Suns players, Monty and Jones won't cause a stink because they've personally never seen that side of Sarver and he always appears to be supportive of his players and looks diverse in his hiring of Monty and Jones. But to me, this is his get our of jail card. He can say I and do what I want as long as I appear to be a supporter of diversity and just play it off as just being a "fun" owner.

The NBA's not taking a firmer stand will only encourage owner's to operate above the law, not just in NBA but also in other leagues as well. Look at Dan Snyder who allegedly cooked books in order to get more revenue share from the NFL screwing over fellow owners. It appears that has been swept under the rug as there hasn't been a peep about it since it was reported a few months ago.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a significant statement from Tamika Tremaglio, Executive Director of the NBPA.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I know see the significance of audio / visual evidence. Sterling's audio recording is damning because it is out there for everyone to access and never be forgotten. Years from now people can hear for themselves how racist Sterling is. Even though Sarver was found to have said racist and misogynistic comments, without audio for people to get first hand perspective for themselves its easy to downplay because its coming second hand.

That is the only difference I can see from Sterling to Sarver but Sarver is worse in that he is both racist and sexist. I believe Suns players, Monty and Jones won't cause a stink because they've personally never seen that side of Sarver and he always appears to be supportive of his players and looks diverse in his hiring of Monty and Jones. But to me, this is his get our of jail card. He can say I and do what I want as long as I appear to be a supporter of diversity and just play it off as just being a "fun" owner.

The NBA's not taking a firmer stand will only encourage owner's to operate above the law, not just in NBA but also in other leagues as well. Look at Dan Snyder who allegedly cooked books in order to get more revenue share from the NFL screwing over fellow owners. It appears that has been swept under the rug as there hasn't been a peep about it since it was reported a few months ago.
Regarding Sterling it’s important to point out that the owners voted in majority to out him from the league and Sterling couldn’t fight it because his wife took control of the franchise. They fought each other in court and Donald Sterling lost control of the team to Shelly Sterling who sold the team to Ballmer. I don’t see Penny Sarver doing her husband like that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a significant statement from Tamika Tremaglio, Executive Director of the NBPA.

awesome. NEED MORE.

Come on folks with power... this is SO freaking disgusting. This is almost TWO DECADES of racism, sexism, harrasment, both vocal and physical. How the hell this man not only holds on to his team but isn't being sued into oblivion is beyond me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding Sterling it’s important to point out that the owners voted in majority to out him from the league and Sterling couldn’t fight it because his wife took control of the franchise. They fought each other in court and Donald Sterling lost control of the team to Shelly Sterling who sold the team to Ballmer. I don’t see Penny Sarver doing her husband like that.
some fights are worth fighting for. this is one of them. the league looks like the WORST enablers in the world right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome. NEED MORE.

Come on folks with power... this is SO freaking disgusting. This is almost TWO DECADES of racism, sexism, harrasment, both vocal and physical. How the hell this man not only holds on to his team but isn't being sued into oblivion is beyond me.

If the NBA players association gets involved, something will happen. They have a lot of clout.