Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, now you’re putting words in my mouth. I never said anything remotely close “one person.”

Here’s what I said:

“In fact other than a handful whose names were used, we don’t know if the stories all came from the same people or a ton of people.”

Note the words “handful” and “people.” Maybe you were using hyperbole because you didn’t like that I corrected.
No it just sounded like because I brought up 70 people that I was falling for something because it could be just a few people quoted. I didn’t fall for anything. Just like you I have said I didn’t know.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
indeed, the Ryan McDonough tweet says a lot -- mostly in what he doesn't say -- no defense of Sarver at all, and his optimism that the NBA will get to the truth (will some help from him?)

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
indeed, the Ryan McDonough tweet says a lot -- mostly in what he doesn't say -- no defense of Sarver at all, and his optimism that the NBA will get to the truth (will some help from him?)
Ryan McDonough has a show where he actively blames Sarver for all of his failures as a gm (he takes zero responsibility for anything). He is the last guy we should take seriously Sarver related

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryan McDonough has a show where he actively blames Sarver for all of his failures as a gm (he takes zero responsibility for anything). He is the last guy we should take seriously Sarver related
Ryan is a bitter little man with a huge Sarver-sized chip on his shoulder, it's true. But it's a little scary when you think of all the people that have an axe to grind with Robert.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing that Sarver is a prick. Thats fairly well known. You don't lose ownership for that though
Agreed. Unless his partners can talk him into selling or stepping aside, nothing that's come out so far is likely to force him out.

But we'll see what the independent investigation brings to light. I suspect there will a lot more meat to the toxic environment complaint.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No it just sounded like because I brought up 70 people that I was falling for something because it could be just a few people quoted. I didn’t fall for anything. Just like you I have said I didn’t know.
You said “70 people on record.” What am I missing?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver has made enough enemies, some of the mud will probably stick. They threw just about everything at him. Also there may be additional accusers step forward now these accusations have been made public.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think standing up for Sarver went the way Rex thought it would... :eek:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know man...lots of people who have tons of motive to hate Sarver. Only thing I hope for is whatever happens it happens fast.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know man...lots of people who have tons of motive to hate Sarver. Only thing I hope for is whatever happens it happens fast.
And that the Suns stay in Phoenix. Because the "Seattle Suns" is just STUPID in so many ways.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just reeks of Earl Watson.
Granted 70 people interviewed is alot
But I find it hard to believe any player would come here esp CP3 knowing Sarver said these things. Watson and R Paul are deep in NBA circles..word gets out fast but we're just hearing about it?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t believe they added the part about Sarver asking Taylor Griffin about shaving his balls and then reaching out to Griffin about it. They had what they needed but clearly reached on other parts. I think given the writer’s reputation he probably didn’t want to add it and the higher ups at ESPN went overboard for affect. Shultz teasing it and allowing the Suns to get in front of it didn’t help

The Griffin thing helped establish Server's character as being a wanna-be jock who acts like a frat boy. I think there was more wrong with Sarver's behavior there than a lot of the other named anecdotes, primarily Watson and Williamson. It seemed odd how Taylor's story was positioned compared to those since it seemed to be brief and inserted just to get people to see what sort of guy Sarver is while it was one of the most unquestionably inappropriate things he did that was included. That should have been the lead, it would have been more impactful than the Watson stuff that did lead, and read as assumptions and sour grapes.

Im really curious what sort of stuff wasn't included because you'd think the most damning accounts and accusations would be featured but there wasn't much there that looked all that damning. Yes, he's an a-hole but most people knew that. Maybe more is there that needs to be properly investigated but if the worst they have on him is in the article then it'll be a hard sell to other owners to push him out.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just reeks of Earl Watson.
Granted 70 people interviewed is alot
But I find it hard to believe any player would come here esp CP3 knowing Sarver said these things. Watson and R Paul are deep in NBA circles..word gets out fast but we're just hearing about it?
Maybe its known among players and agents and they are keeping quiet so that their clients don't get caught up in any backlash by the other owners afraid their dirty laundry will be made public just like Sarver.

It's probably why PHX hasn't been able to land high profile FA's the last few years, its probably an unspoken rule not to sign with PHX because ff the toxic culture.

Take out all the ex employee interviews, what speaks volumes is there are current employees including a co owner who is on the same level as Sarver validating claims.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe its known among players and agents and they are keeping quiet so that their clients don't get caught up in any backlash by the other owners afraid their dirty laundry will be made public just like Sarver.

It's probably why PHX hasn't been able to land high profile FA's the last few years, its probably an unspoken rule not to sign with PHX because ff the toxic culture.

Take out all the ex employee interviews, what speaks volumes is there are current employees including a co owner who is on the same level as Sarver validating claims.

Chris Paul was President of the P!ayers Association and is best friends with Lebron, whose agent is Rich Paul. He'd know if Sarver was really a racist or guilty of saying racial slurs to him. He chose to come here so I don't believe he knew of anything like that.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chris Paul was President of the P!ayers Association and is best friends with Lebron, whose agent is Rich Paul. He'd know if Sarver was really a racist or guilty of saying racial slurs to him. He chose to come here so I don't believe he knew of anything like that.
Paul also had a long tenure in LA with Sterling as owner which I'm sure he didn't know about him until the recording was made public, maybe he didn't believe the rumors much like most on this board don't about Sarver but he is probably one of the main reasons big name players have spurned PHX in recent years.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chris Paul basically is the only reason I have a hard time with the racist claims...no way in hell even for 1 billion dollars is he helping facilitate a trade to this organization if for 1 minute he thought Sarver said those things. Rich Paul has first hand knowledge if this was said and lebron and the boys would have made it known long ago. Timing is important too...we were just in the Finals media darlings...who is gonna hate that? Most the former employees who were interviewed for this article...but they can also hate it cause it truly happened to them. All around sucks azz

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul also played for the Clippers while Sterling owned them - and was ousted - and was recently an executive producer on a documentary about that situation called Blackballed.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

How so? He simply gave his opinion about the person he's had a long relationship with. Even if Twitter is lighting him up.. it's important to have people who aren't afraid to speak their truth even if it's the unpopular route. The same goes for the flip side of this.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul also had a long tenure in LA with Sterling as owner which I'm sure he didn't know about him until the recording was made public, maybe he didn't believe the rumors much like most on this board don't about Sarver but he is probably one of the main reasons big name players have spurned PHX in recent years.

Everyone in LA knew who Sterling was. For decades. And CP3 never said boo until that tape dropped. It’s why I don’t think his silence here or coming here has much of a bearing on Sarver not being racist.

The reality is... a lot of these rich owners, Titans of different industries probably have a lot of “old school” aka racist/sexist thoughts and actions.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone in LA knew who Sterling was. For decades. And CP3 never said boo until that tape dropped. It’s why I don’t think his silence here or coming here has much of a bearing on Sarver not being racist.

The reality is... a lot of these rich owners, Titans of different industries probably have a lot of “old school” aka racist/sexist thoughts and actions.

That's true but do you believe Chris Paul would have chosen to come to the Suns and re-signed here if he had heard serious allegations that Sarver was a legit racist? I don't.

I think if players were privy to that information before today's news then Paul would have been one of the players in the know as well given his status in the league and the relationships he has across the league.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Whether Sarver will get ousted for this is of course highly debatable. And maybe whether what he has done is either egregious or just merely awful may even be debated. But I really don't have any question that what is being reported about him is all probably true. It's not like people are making up stories to get the guy in the mailroom fired. Sarver is a powerful guy running a gigantic public entity. Nobody is just making up stuff about someone in that position - and it's multiple people (and likely multitudes) alleging this behavior. Anybody who believes this is some massive phony conspiracy to get him (of all people) is deluded.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Have to say I find the "you're a white man so your opinion doesn't count" comment to be pretty pathetic. From the sound of the ESPN article Sarver is the type of guy that throws around misogynistic and racist comments all over the place. Rex being a guy that has been around him for the past 15+ years suggests that he might have been in a position to hear some of these comments if they happened.

Of course it's possible he just wasn't around when the comments were said. I just hate that argument that is being replied to his tweet.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said “70 people on record.” What am I missing?
Context. I made it clear in my original post there were lots of possibilities about the contents of the report. In order for me to be fooled I would have to take a definitive position. For you to think I am fooled you would have to take the position that those comments only came from a few people. I clearly took the position that it all comes down to who is on record and what the NBA finds. Here is also what I said..............

- Sarver is an a-hole and doesn't appear to be a good guy. He runs a toxic organization that likely after this story will damage the Suns reputation. This part shouldn't be a surprise. We have seen his behavior reflect poorly on the Suns. We knew this.

- Some of this appears to be him joking in poor taste over and over.

- Some might be old school misogyny

- Some might be from disgruntled ex-employees.

- Some and possibly the most disturbing are the racist and sexist incidents in the organization.

- Is there enough here to force him out? Not sure. That's the NBA's job but that might be harder than you think. 70 people were interviewed. If MOST of these people with the most serious allegations are willing to put their name on record? Again...he should go.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose