Robert Quinn available

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A QB is not going to cover a lack of pass rush, lack of defending the run, & a lack of coverage.

Herbert is a tier above Kyler, probably even two, but that didn’t stop the Chargers from missing the playoffs despite brilliant play from Herbert for most of the season.

A QB is not going to cover up massive defensive holes.

And I honestly think you’re being generous with “average” talent.
I'd give Herbert a tier above but I cant put him two tiers above. Herbert entered the league with 2 1000 yard wrs and a pass offense old man Rivers put up 4600 yards the year before.

Herbert's better, but Im not sure he'd be that much on our team without Hopkins/worse Oline.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
You speak of our defense like it is going to be significantly worse than last year but outside of Chandler Jones and Jordan Hicks, who did we lose? Personally, I think the loss of Jones will be impactful but not top 15 to bottom 5 difference. Hicks...meh. Nick Vigil can be a similar player. Secondary is all coming back. Kingsley Keke should give us better production than Jordan Phillips.

I don't believe we will have a great defense by any stretch but our bend don't break scheme will keep it from being terrible.
I’ve reviewed a few games and it looks to me like Jones was more a threat than a factor in most of them. He got his share of pressures, but he was not the same force he’d been in the past. I think the Cards have a reasonable chance to create almost as much pressure and maybe even more balance against the run. Actually despite his being weak against the pass, I’m afraid the Cards may feel the loss of Hicks more than the loss of Jones unless Collins takes a big step forward.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve reviewed a few games and it looks to me like Jones was more a threat than a factor in most of them. He got his share of pressures, but he was not the same force he’d been in the past. I think the Cards have a reasonable chance to create almost as much pressure and maybe even more balance against the run. Actually despite his being weak against the pass, I’m afraid the Cards may feel the loss of Hicks more than the loss of Jones unless Collins takes a big step forward.

People seem to forget we had as many sacks when CJ was out for the year as we did when he wasn't, and more than last year with him back.

We averaged 3 over sacks per game in 2020 with him out, and only 2.3 per game last year.

I'm not saying were going to easily replace him and it's nothing, but also it's not the hand wringing event some make out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
People seem to forget we had as many sacks when CJ was out for the year as we did when he wasn't, and more than last year with him back.

We averaged 3 over sacks per game in 2020 with him out, and only 2.3 per game last year.

I'm not saying were going to easily replace him and it's nothing, but also it's not the hand wringing event some make out.
You seem to forget we also had Reddick who got double digit sacks in back-to-back seasons, so he had more talent than anyone else in the edge for us this year.

DVontel

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You seem to forget we also had Reddick who got double digit sacks in back-to-back seasons, so he had more talent than anyone else in the edge for us this year.
I don’t think he even forgot, tbh. I think he’s doing that on purpose.

Dayman

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This has been pointed out ad nauseam. The 2020 team also players who could actually play NT, and Gardeck had a fluke of a year.