Robert Alford

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
signed a guy who used to be good but is now older, coming off an injury plagued season where he was apparently the worst CB in the league... and gave him 24 million dollars.

Did they remove the breathalizer from Keim's car already?

Count me as not a fan of the move.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Williams, who returned to GB, was a solid #2.
and promptly let go by Keim over a $1 million difference in pay....Williams SAID 'I WAS READY TO COME BACK TO AZ, but GB offered $1 mill more. I offered the Cardinals to match...they said no."
KEIM Rockin it

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you visit over the cap you will see the Falcons are capped strapped and simply couldn't afford to keep him. His 2017 stats are outstanding. He is better than any other corner on this roster not named Peterson. If Joseph's is thrilled tehn so am I no matter what ARZ Cardinal/Charger/whatever fan thinks.
OUCH! :)
I'll state positive when there is positive, but paying THE WORST RATED CB in the league a $24 million contract is not crazy it's ignorant. There is NO justification to even give him a $10 mill contract for 3 years.
He WAS a good CB...he's not anymore....there's a reason he was sitting on the street...it wasn't because his amazing play....and next year as he's getting smoked like a Cuban cigar I doubt you will, but I hope you remember Keim is paying him $24 million ....and when he's cut at the end of the season...and they have another $16 million in dead cap you'll know why.
Some GM's go off facts, some go off gut feeling ...and Keim ....he's just drunk paying Alford $24 million.
Some of ya'll would love it if the Cards signed Johnny Manziel the second he signed (because you blindly cheer on every move)....I can see your posts now...'I think he's got it together now....He can be the man....other teams didn't give him a chance.' Alford is about equivalent as Johnny....both were rated the worst in the league....the difference is Keim just paid Alford $24 mill ....bottoms up

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He fits the anticipated defense quite well. He won’t be a Pro Bowl player but he’ll be a big upgrade over last year. His injury was the biggest cause of the penalties. With corners decent vets are often better than rolling the draft dice. This year is typical except for a couple of guys no one can agree on who can play CB in the NFL.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
It's a start at least. They did seem to overpay, but that's what you gotta do when your the Cardinals. No one is clamoring to knock down our doors to come here. If They can sign Bradley Roby then the secondary would be a true strength. But we need to address ILB and LG also.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a start at least. They did seem to overpay, but that's what you gotta do when your the Cardinals. No one is clamoring to knock down our doors to come here. If They can sign Bradley Roby then the secondary would be a true strength. But we need to address ILB and LG also.

Players through their agents 'clamour' for $$$.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:(
Alternate Take -

K2 and his staff will have their hands full transitioning to new schemes, terminology and roster.

Inserting Alford into a seconday with PP21, Swearinger, Budda etc. gives us one less factor to worry about as we lok forward to free agency and the draft

You're Crazy. The Cards are idiots....
OUCH! :)
I'll state positive when there is positive, but paying THE WORST RATED CB in the league a $24 million contract is not crazy it's ignorant. There is NO justification to even give him a $10 mill contract for 3 years.
He WAS a good CB...he's not anymore....there's a reason he was sitting on the street...it wasn't because his amazing play....and next year as he's getting smoked like a Cuban cigar I doubt you will, but I hope you remember Keim is paying him $24 million ....and when he's cut at the end of the season...and they have another $16 million in dead cap you'll know why.
Some GM's go off facts, some go off gut feeling ...and Keim ....he's just drunk paying Alford $24 million.
Some of ya'll would love it if the Cards signed Johnny Manziel the second he signed (because you blindly cheer on every move)....I can see your posts now...'I think he's got it together now....He can be the man....other teams didn't give him a chance.' Alford is about equivalent as Johnny....both were rated the worst in the league....the difference is Keim just paid Alford $24 mill ....bottoms up
he CAN make up to $23m. If e receives $23m it will mean he performed well. I’m kind of hoping his high ankle sprain , which is debilitating to an athlete along with the Falcons under achieving defense played a roll. Injury prone is not a fair way to describe him. Also you need to take your show on the road! The fact that you can actually read many of our minds is quite impressive. Knowing how I ( some of us) would feel about Manziel or any other player we may sign is very impressive!

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What would be interesting to know is if he got better as the season progressed. Assuming his high ankle sprain happened early in the season/preseason or whatever, how did he do after (and perhaps before if say it happened in week 3)? Was there an upwards trend as he got better, or did the stats get worse as he healed?

Reaction score
We just paid a corner, who had his worst season of his career, $8m/year. He’s paying for past success that he may never have again since he’s now 30. We obviously have to make more moves at the position, but we can’t throw much more money at the position. $8m puts him 25th in the league if that were his cap hit. As I stated in an early post, I am a skeptic. Vance Joseph is a man coverage coach and we signed a player who gave up 31-41 and 8 TDs playing man. Don’t act like he’s a world beater.

You don't think they did their homework & just went off of past success? I would say you're wrong on this one. Imo.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You don't think they did their homework & just went off of past success? I would say you're wrong on this one. Imo.

Our defense is shifting back to man coverage, so we sign a corner that gave up 31-41 for 504 yards and 8 TDs in man coverage. They may have done their homework, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t fail.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our defense is shifting back to man coverage, so we sign a corner that gave up 31-41 for 504 yards and 8 TDs in man coverage. They may have done their homework, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t fail.

We don't know the mix of coverages our new DC likes in his version of the 3-4 but you can be certain that he was consulted on this signing.

Success or failure can't be determined in FEBRUARY!

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We don't know the mix of coverages our new DC likes in his version of the 3-4 but you can be certain that he was consulted on this signing.

Success or failure can't be determined in FEBRUARY!

Vance Joseph’s defense in Denver last year ran the 2nd highest percentage of man coverage on drop backs. There’s a tweet posted in this thread that states that. I think it’s fair to say he’s going to run man coverage.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He fits the anticipated defense quite well. He won’t be a Pro Bowl player but he’ll be a big upgrade over last year. His injury was the biggest cause of the penalties. With corners decent vets are often better than rolling the draft dice. This year is typical except for a couple of guys no one can agree on who can play CB in the NFL.

Thanks Harry, nice to have a voice of reason. I like the signing and the starting DBs: Peterson, Alford, Baker and Swearinger. :clapping:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Alternate Take -

K2 and his staff will have their hands full transitioning to new schemes, terminology and roster.

Inserting Alford into a seconday with PP21, Swearinger, Budda etc. gives us one less position hole to worry about as we look forward to free agency and the draft

Not to mention it allows for some sort of buffer for any cornerback they bring in. There are some cornerbacks to take a gamble on in the later rounds of the draft that have good size, and speed, but putting them out there right away would be a mistake.

What I am interested in, is if Vance Joseph buys into this S/NB position that Baker plays, or if he is going to want to put Baker in as a true safety, along with Swearinger, and rotate in Bethea. (to round out the safety group, you keep Rudy Ford as the 4th S).

There are a couple cornerbacks that the Cardinals can bring in for depth. I REALLY hope they do not rely on David Amerson for anything, there is not need to cut him yet, but I would like to see the Cardinals sign a depth gut a CB, and draft two CB's in the draft.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/free-agents-an-early-take.297473/

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
signed a guy who used to be good but is now older, coming off an injury plagued season where he was apparently the worst CB in the league... and gave him 24 million dollars.

Did they remove the breathalizer from Keim's car already?

Count me as not a fan of the move.

They didn't just hand him a $24M check.

Alford only counts $6M against the cap for 2019. That's peanuts for a starting CB.

If Alford doesn't work out they can cut him next year and would only have to account for 3M in dead money.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Alford only counts $6M against the cap for 2019. That's peanuts for a starting CB.

If Alford doesn't work out they can cut him next year and would only have to account for 3M in dead money.
That turned out to be a well constructed contract.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

great contract for the cards, but great sign that Alford thinks he is way better than 2018 might suggest.