RJ back to Dbacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
He's due to make 16 million next year?

For that money they could sign Zito.

What would make more since is for RJ to come back in 2007 in some capacity for a small salary and retire a Diamondback.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Intresting. As long as we don't trade any prospects worth while, I am all for it.

Johnson coming back would generate intrest and revenue for the DBacks this year. Also a rotation of Webb, Hernandez, Johnson, Davis is solid.

I think Johnson wouldn't do bad here. He's aging, but a return to the desert could do him some good.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Intresting. As long as we don't trade any prospects worth while, I am all for it.

Johnson coming back would generate intrest and revenue for the DBacks this year. Also a rotation of Webb, Hernandez, Johnson, Davis is solid.

I think Johnson wouldn't do bad here. He's aging, but a return to the desert could do him some good.

Why would you want RJ over Zito for the same price?

There's no way the Dbacks do this unless the Yankees pay at least half his salary.

Of course if the Yankees pay half his salary they're going to want better prospects. In that scenario we're basically selling prospects for cash.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=1528
The Newark Star-Ledger is reporting that the Yankees and Diamondbacks are talking about a Randy Johnson deal.
A baseball official from a third team is the Star-Ledger's source. The official said the Yankees do not want to pay any of Johnson's $16 million salary as part of a deal, which would be a big hurdle if true. Even in this market, Johnson is a poor risk at $16 million for 2007 and the Diamondbacks weren't interested in spending that kind of money on a free agent. We're skeptical anything will happen.

I would love a deal for RJ. He is not the pitcher he once was and might only have two or three years left in him but he could bring in more fans. With the Yankees overspending on team salary, we could get money back without giving up too much. After all, RJ did not have the best year of his career in 2006. Possibly a middle-tier prospect or two for him might be enough. We have plently of depth to trade from without weakening ourselves.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
WOW!! Yankee fans are beyond redemption. Look at who they want in return for RJ: Carlos Gonzalez, Miguel Montero, and Brett Anderson! Too bad Anderson cannot be traded because he was just drafted (unless they use him as a player to be named later).

Is this some sort of sick joke?

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I would hate this. It's too much money for him. Zito would've been MUCH, MUCH better. RJ is done. I loved the guy when he was here but we'd be lucky to see a 4.50 ERA and that's just not worth 16 mil.

shoewizard

Reaction score
This is the kind of deal I could live with:

Yankees trade RJ and 5 million for

Eric Byrnes, and one of Ross Ohlendorf, Evan Maclane, Greg Smith.

Addition by subtraction in the case of Byrnes, as then Scott Hairston can play in LF. He is a better hitter than Byrnes, better by enough to more than make up for any falloff in defense in left field.

Byrnes and his .313 OBP needs to be moved. He makes far too many outs and does not hit well enough to be an everyday corner outfielder.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score

Addition by subtraction in the case of Byrnes, as then Scott Hairston can play in LF. He is a better hitter than Byrnes, better by enough to more than make up for any falloff in defense in left field.

Byrnes and his .313 OBP needs to be moved. He makes far too many outs and does not hit well enough to be an everyday corner outfielder.

Welcome Shoewizard. To my recollection, you were a poster on the ESPN diamondbacks board.

Anyway, I agree with the idea that Hairston would be better as a left fielder during next year. The only problem I can foresee with trading Byrnes is the loss of a fan favorite. However, Hairston has a much better bat not only because Eric played beyond his means last year but because he has proven it during his brief MLB call-ups. Sadly, I do not think that the front office would allow for Scott to have the position.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
WOW!! Yankee fans are beyond redemption. Look at who they want in return for RJ: Carlos Gonzalez, Miguel Montero, and Brett Anderson! Too bad Anderson cannot be traded because he was just drafted (unless they use him as a player to be named later).

They must be ****ing insane..

They won't get ONE of those guys straight up for Johnson, let alone all three.

Yankee fans are delusional.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They must be ****ing insane..

They won't get ONE of those guys straight up for Johnson, let alone all three.

Yankee fans are delusional.

Agree. I'm surprised they are not asking for Webb.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Its the ESPN boards, of course its a sick joke :)

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Welcome, Shoewizard.

HooverDam

Reaction score
The only problem I can foresee with trading Byrnes is the loss of a fan favorite.

Well I think the return of RJ (another fan fav.) would make up for the loss of fan favorite Byrnes. I'd say Johnson's popularity outweighs Byrnes'.

I'd love to see RJ finish off his career here, but only if the Yankees pay part of his salary, and only ask for mid level prospects, or someone like Byrnes.

Though it does seem strange that the organization would bring Randy back. He (along w/ Gonzo) are the faces of the purple/Jerry Colangelo D'backs which they seem so intent on distancing themselves from.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
People like this are living in a dream world..

Here's an exchange on the ESPN Board between myself and him..

LiferYank said:
if we get 2-3 top prospects and are not expected to pickup any of his salary how can we not make this trade.

and my reply.

No offense, but if you think Josh Byrnes is giving up two top prospects for Randy Johnson, you're sadly mistaken. If you think they're giving up two top prospects AND eating all of the remainder of Johnson's 16 million dollar contract, you're huffing something a little stronger than Elmer's Glue.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
Hey Shoe -- nice to see you drop in!

I'd love to see RJ finish here -- if he pays half his own salary and we don't have to give up any prospects. Let the Yankees take Hairston, sure, that'll work.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, not only are they talking about sending a package of players (including a major leaguer), they want to negotiate an extension with RJ? Ugh... I suddenly feel sick.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
In need of starting pitching -- and a marquee name that will draw more fans -- the Diamondbacks have offered a package of at least three players, including a major-leaguer. They would also want a 72-hour window to negotiate an extension with Johnson, who is owed $16 million in the final year of his contract. The Yankees, according to the official, don't want to pick up any of Johnson's salary.

Wonder who that Major Leaguer is..

Ok, not only are they talking about sending a package of players (including a major leaguer), they want to negotiate an extension with RJ? Ugh... I suddenly feel sick.

Honestly, I don't think either package is to be too concerned about.

Really, exactly how much does Brian Cashman think he's going to get for a 40 plus year old who's done next to nothing for them? Also, how much of a contract does Johnson think he's going to get at this time of year?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Espo

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
The major leaguer is probably Byrnes or a reliever and the extension would actually probably make it less than $16M for the Dbacks this year to have johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.