RIP: William Smith (1933-2021)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

William Smith Dead at 88​

William Smith, the film and television actor known for roles in Any Which Way You Can, Rich Man, Poor Man, and Red Dawn, has passed away. The Hollywood Reporter brings word that the 88-year-old actor died on Monday at the Motion Picture & Television Country House and Hospital in Woodland Hills. Smith's wife, Joanne Cervelli Smith, confirmed the news to THR but did not provide a cause of death. Born in Missouri on March 24, 1933, Smith's career on the big screen and in television stretches all the way back to the 1940s where he made uncredited appearances in films like Meet Me in St. Louis and even The Ghost of Frankenstein.

A mountain of a man, Smith was notable for his physique and athletic abilities outside of his film career but also used those things to his advantage for his acting roles. Smith's television career was expansive including appearances on a host of classic shows including The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Adam West's Batman, The Virginian, Daniel Boone, Mod Squad, Mission: Impossible, The Six Million Dollar Man, Gunsmoke, Hawaii Five-O, B.J. and the Bear, Fantasy Island, The Dukes of Hazard, CHiPs, T.J. ******, The A-Team, ******, She Wrote, and Walker, Texas Ranger.

Fans of cult cinema may also be very familiar with Smith's work on the big screen too including appearances in Invasion of the Bee Girls, Rumble Fish, Hell Comes to Frogtown, Maniac Cop, Action U.S.A., Terror in Beverly Hills, and Conan the Barbarian, where he played Conan's father.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First heard the news and immediately thought back to watching Any Which Way You Can on the big screen (with my dad) and the street fight between Smith and Eastwood.

You must be registered for see images attach

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read through his profile a few years back after re-watching Any Which Way and I was astounded. I can't quite remember all the details but it was an impressive resume. He was always my favorite on Laredo but I've often wondered why he didn't get better roles. Anyway, I'm off to re-read his IMDB profile, RIP Big Bill.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's some excerpts from the trivia section of his profile on IMDB:

Lifetime Achievement Award from Academy of Bodybuilding and Fitness.
Two-time Arm Wrestling World Champion--200-lb. class, Petaluma, CA.
He was the Marlboro Man in the final televised Marlboro commercial.
Competed as a downhill skier in AAU events at Mammoth Mountain
Competed in motocross events with Steve McQueen and doubled as one of the track riders in C.C. & Company (1970).
Had a 31-1 record as an amateur boxer
Held the Air Force Light-Heavyweight Weightlifting Championship
Performed over 5,100 continuous sit-ups over a five-hour period.
Played semi-pro football for the Wiesbaden Flyers in Germany.
Won a Muscle Beach contest by performing 35 inverted handstand dips
Honorary member of the Stuntmen's Association of Motion Pictures.
Direct descendant of Western figures Kit Carson and Daniel Boone.
Bruce Lee personally offered Smith the co-lead in Enter the Dragon (1973), but another film went over schedule and John Saxon stepped into the role.
Turned down the role of Tarzan at MGM but later stunt=doubled for former Tarzan Lex Barker while living in France.
Training partner of first Mr. Olympia, Larry Scott.
Fought California wildfires in the early 1950s
Worked as a lifeguard on the French Riviera
Worked as a trainer at Bert Goodrich's Hollywood Gym.
Threw the discus 151 feet at a time when the top AAU distance was 150.6 feet.
Won the Light-Heavyweight German-Austrian Boxing Championship while in the service.
Recipient of the 2005 Southern California Motion Picture Council Award and of the 2008 Silver Spur Award.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Wow. My mom was a huge Clint Eastwood fan, so we watched these two films whenever they were on TV growing up. I've always liked those tank tops thanks to him. RIP

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just watching Loose the other day. Didn't quite hold up the way I remembered, but it was a kick to see it again.

Smith was one of those actors that would show up everywhere back in the day when a few TV channels had everything there was to watch.

88 isn't too shabby. I should be so lucky. RIP

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose