Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:(

Directed some of my absolute favorites.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

it is a really incredible career where he made defining movies in 5 different genres with horror, Superhero, kids adventure, Buddy cop and then topping an incredible decade off with a Holiday Classic, Scrooged).

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is a really incredible career where he made defining movies in 5 different genres with horror, Superhero, kids adventure, Buddy cop and then topping an incredible decade off with a Holiday Classic, Scrooged).

oh yeah... and he directed the original Twilight Zone Episode “Terror At 20,000 Feet” with William Shatner that would later get remade in the Twilight Zone movie starring Jon Lithgow and incredibly directed by Mad Max legendary director George Miller!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And we can’t forget Superman 2, which was easily on the way to being the best superhero movie ever until Richard Lester got his hands on it and basically destroyed the franchise.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And we can’t forget Superman 2, which was easily on the way to being the best superhero movie ever until Richard Lester got his hands on it and basically destroyed the franchise.

eh... I love Superman 2, even with the meddling.

If you’re talking Superman 3, THAT movie killed the franchise... outside of the awesome bizarro Superman sequence where he bangs the blonde on top of the Statue Of Liberty, ignores kids in peril to try and bang Lana Lang, ruins the leaning tower of Pisa, gets hammered at a bar and then has an epic brawl with Clark Kent in the junkyard).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
eh... I love Superman 2, even with the meddling.

If you’re talking Superman 3, THAT movie killed the franchise... outside of the awesome bizarro Superman sequence where he bangs the blonde on top of the Statue Of Liberty, ignores kids in peril to try and bang Lana Lang, ruins the leaning tower of Pisa, gets hammered at a bar and then has an epic brawl with Clark Kent in the junkyard).
When Donner was fired from 2, Lester took over and WB gave him the reigns. So yes, 3 broke the series, but it started with 2.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Donner was fired from 2, Lester took over and WB gave him the reigns. So yes, 3 broke the series, but it started with 2.

I know what happened there. Doesn’t take away from me loving Superman 2 or thinking that Lester did a great job with it, especially considering the circumstances.

What broke the series IMO was the Salkinds and WB thinking they should continue with Lester and that Supes 3 needed to be a Richard Pryor movie!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a pretty moving statement from Chunk of Goonies fame about who Richard Donner was and what he meant to him:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He'll definitely be missed.

Wonder who will direct Lethal Weapon 5 (if it ever gets made)?

Shatner on that TZ episode:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
This is a pretty moving statement from Chunk of Goonies fame about who Richard Donner was and what he meant to him:

That's awesome.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did a lot of movies we enjoy but my wife and I are very fond of and frequently re-watch 3 of his lesser appreciated movies: Maverick, Assassins and Conspiracy Theory. They may not be everyone's favorites but they still work for us. RIP Mr Donner.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did a lot of movies we enjoy but my wife and I are very fond of and frequently re-watch 3 of his lesser appreciated movies: Maverick, Assassins and Conspiracy Theory. They may not be everyone's favorites but they still work for us. RIP Mr Donner.

Maverick is supremely entertaining.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson