RIP: Paul Silas (1943-2022)

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Silas was with the Suns from 1969-72, which was just before my time as a Suns fan, but I do remember him with Boston, Denver and Seattle.
He was an exceptional defender, rebounder and leader (both on the court and as head of the union when they were going through the NBA/ABA merger and into the incacy of free agency).

I would imagine sending Silas to Boston as compensation for Charlie Scott is one of the few transactions that Colangelo made that he regretted immediately.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Silas was a great complementary player in his time, hard nosed defender and rebounder, kind of a Dennis Rodman or Draymond Green but without the Cluster B personality disorder issues. It's not a wonder that he played on multiple championship teams - he was the type of player every really good team needs, and still does.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silas was a great complementary player in his time, hard nosed defender and rebounder, kind of a Dennis Rodman or Draymond Green but without the Cluster B personality disorder issues. It's not a wonder that he played on multiple championship teams - he was the type of player every really good team needs, and still does.
His game was limited in the way that Rodman's was but Silas was much more of a ground based rebounder than Dennis or even Draymond. He had a knack for knowing where the ball was going, established and held his position and rarely lost rebounds in his area. And although he had no range on his shot, he rarely shot outside a few feet from the hoop. Great role player, great teammate by all acounts. RIP.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll always remember him for dissing Carlos Boozer when he was the Cavs coach and they were playing the Jazz (the team Carlos left the Cavs for in free agency), and he was returning after a long absence (foot injury).

Reporter: Coach, what's your opinion of Carlos Boozer?

Silas: C U Next Tuesday.

Reporter: Um, you mean tomorrow?

Silas: Just spell it out. That's what he is.