Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn shame

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man... this one hurts. incredible actor and from what my friends who worked with him on Lovecraft told me a great person as well.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OD'D

Fentanyl, Cocaine and Heroin all in his system.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad. So many people destroying/ending their lives by choice. Labeled an "accident," of course.
Yea def sad. I don’t buy into the it’s a “disease” crowd either. Cancer is a disease. Lupus, ALS etc.... is a disease.

Getting yourself addicted to a drug or gambling etc is not a disease. That’s a life choice. Regardless of how hard it can be to kick.

Doesn’t mean I don’t feel for them any less or think it’s any less sad. Even though people try to make you a bad guy because you don’t believe in that narrative.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea def sad. I don’t buy into the it’s a “disease” crowd either. Cancer is a disease. Lupus, ALS etc.... is a disease.

Getting yourself addicted to a drug or gambling etc is not a disease. That’s a life choice. Regardless of how hard it can be to kick.

Doesn’t mean I don’t feel for them any less or think it’s any less sad. Even though people try to make you a bad guy because you don’t believe in that narrative.
I have to agree. I was a heavy smoker for many years, but finally kicked it (going on 23 years clean). It was a physical addiction that I created for myself. Yes, there may be a genetic component that makes me more susceptible to nicotine addiction, but I did it to myself. My mother's pancreatic cancer and my uncle's prostate cancer had nothing to do with any choices they made.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree. I was a heavy smoker for many years, but finally kicked it (going on 23 years clean). It was a physical addiction that I created for myself. Yes, there may be a genetic component that makes me more susceptible to nicotine addiction, but I did it to myself. My mother's pancreatic cancer and my uncle's prostate cancer had nothing to do with any choices they made.
Glad you kicked it brotha

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Horse manure. People who fall victim to this level of addiction usually Arent making a choice to do this because it’s “fun” or “feels good”. This level of use happens for people trying KILL PAIN, likely because they they have MASSIVE demons or trauma in their lives that f’ed them up beyond belief by OTHERS who CHOSE to destroy them.

And attitudes like yours only FURTHER traumatize people who need HELP, not small minded, pathetic condemnation.

The above is just beyond insulting to those the overwhelming majority of those who fall victim to addiction. especially the one who just died.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horse manure. People who fall victim to this level of addiction usually Arent making a choice to do this because it’s “fun” or “feels good”. This level of use happens for people trying KILL PAIN, likely because they they have MASSIVE demons or trauma in their lives that f’ed them up beyond belief by OTHERS who CHOSE to destroy them.

And attitudes like yours only FURTHER traumatize people who need HELP, not small minded, pathetic condemnation.

The above is just beyond insulting to those the overwhelming majority of those who fall victim to addiction. especially the one who just died.
You’re entitled to that opinion

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just watched The Night Of finally. A great performance, and one of many. He stole scenes despite himself because he was a wonderful and committed ensemble player.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I don’t feel bad for people who don’t kick cigarettes but opiates for instance is a different animal. It all comes down to having and accepting help. If you don’t have help you have no chance and people get hooked for a multitude of reasons in or out of their control.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael was pretty open about his addiction (after "hiding" it for years). In his own words, he knew he was "playing with fire" and he needed to get clean and stay clean or he'd end up in a body bag. Quite prophetic.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's very easy to make judgements when one hasn't experienced something themselves or doesn't have all the facts. To bring it a little closer to home, I'm sure you feel you have a much better perspective than the average person when it comes to second-guessing a police officer's decision-making from a short video. "Why didn't the cop just shoot the gun out of his hand?" and stuff like that. Those people aren't necessarily stupid or bad, but they've probably never walked one minute in your shoes and are making judgements without all the facts and/or experience.

That said, I don't think you're a bad guy for feeling that way. To me, it's just one of those things we all have to decide for ourselves. As the years go by, I've been trying to focus my listening and learning on people who have the best chance of comprehensively understanding a topic.