RIP Lefty Kreh fly fishing legend

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Died at 93 of congestive heart failure. He's been very sick for awhile he posted regularly on Dan Blanton's fly fishing board I read and was very open about how sick he was.

My dad knew him, I met him once at a fly fishing show. He'd been doing casting demonstrations, he was in his 80's at the time. I noticed he was casting right handed so I asked him why. Turns out when younger he realized that it was hard for him to give casting lessons being left handed because most students were right handed, so he taught himself to cast right handed to make it easier! He injured his left shoulder later on and so he just stopped casting left handed and only did it right handed. The day I met him my dad asked him if he had ever tried casting without the fly rod, he used to cast with just the tip of the rod to demonstrate the mechanics of the cast. To our surprise he said yes, he used to be able to make 80-90 foot casts just using his arm as the rod, but stopped doing it because of arm injuries.

AMazing life. I learned today from a story online that in the mid 1960s he worked for a federal agency that was involved in chemicals safety. He and 2 others were somehow exposed to anthrax, and he was the only one of the 3 to survive.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Died at 93 of congestive heart failure. He's been very sick for awhile he posted regularly on Dan Blanton's fly fishing board I read and was very open about how sick he was.

My dad knew him, I met him once at a fly fishing show. He'd been doing casting demonstrations, he was in his 80's at the time. I noticed he was casting right handed so I asked him why. Turns out when younger he realized that it was hard for him to give casting lessons being left handed because most students were right handed, so he taught himself to cast right handed to make it easier! He injured his left shoulder later on and so he just stopped casting left handed and only did it right handed. The day I met him my dad asked him if he had ever tried casting without the fly rod, he used to cast with just the tip of the rod to demonstrate the mechanics of the cast. To our surprise he said yes, he used to be able to make 80-90 foot casts just using his arm as the rod, but stopped doing it because of arm injuries.

AMazing life. I learned today from a story online that in the mid 1960s he worked for a federal agency that was involved in chemicals safety. He and 2 others were somehow exposed to anthrax, and he was the only one of the 3 to survive.
Wow, that is pretty amazing.