RIP Gallagher

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comedian Gallagher, famously known for smashing watermelons as part of his legendary act, has died ... his longtime manager tells TMZ.

Gallagher died while under hospice care in the Palm Springs area early Friday morning, TMZ has learned. His manager tells TMZ Gallagher died of massive organ failure. He had been in ill health for a while, suffering numerous heart attacks over the years.

The rep tells TMZ, "Gallagher stayed on the road touring America for decades. He was pretty sure he held a record for the most stand-up dates, by attrition alone," adding, "While Gallagher had his detractors, he was an undeniable talent and an American success story."

Read more: https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/11/comedian-gallagher-dead-dies-watermelon/

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at the perfect age to enjoy his comedy in the 80's. I wanted so bad to be in the front row of one of his shows and wouldn't have wanted a plastic tarp. RIP

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
RIP Gallagher.
We were in the second row of his show here inPhoenix. The people who sat in row 1 in front of us brought a plastic drop cloth and covered themselves during the smashing. Not us. We weathered through it. No protection for us.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn that sucks loved him

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw him many years ago at a show he did at Celebrity Theatre. Was sitting in the “splatter zone” and loved it. Guy was hilarious !! RIP

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to say about Gallagher. We saw him multiple times in Vegas and enjoyed every show. Then, on a business trip to Lincoln Nebraska 30+ years ago a group of us decided to catch his show there. It seemed like every joke he told was racist, homophobic or misogynistic. I've never known whether that was the true Gallagher or if he was just playing to his audience. The crowd loved it, we left midway through the show.

Regardless, RIP and thanks for some hilarious nights in Vegas.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to say about Gallagher. We saw him multiple times in Vegas and enjoyed every show. Then, on a business trip to Lincoln Nebraska 30+ years ago a group of us decided to catch his show there. It seemed like every joke he told was racist, homophobic or misogynistic. I've never known whether that was the true Gallagher or if he was just playing to his audience. The crowd loved it, we left midway through the show.

This delves into his later career some...

Gallagher, the Watermelon-Smashing Comedian Whose Act Turned Bigoted, Dead at 76

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This delves into his later career some...

Gallagher, the Watermelon-Smashing Comedian Whose Act Turned Bigoted, Dead at 76

That's a shame. I had no idea he had gone this direction. I only knew him from those early shows.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose