Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP: Eydie Gorme (1928-2013)

Popular singer Eydie Gorme dies at 84

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/08/10/eydie-gorme-dies/2639723/

Eydie Gorme, a popular nightclub and television singer as a solo act and as a team with her husband, Steve Lawrence, has died. She was 84.

Gorme, who also had a huge solo hit in 1963 with "Blame it on the Bossa Nova," died Saturday at Sunrise Hospital in Las Vegas following a brief, undisclosed illness, said her publicist, Howard Bragman.

Gorme was a successful band singer and nightclub entertainer when she was invited to join the cast of Steve Allen's local New York television show in 1953.

She sang solos and also did duets and comedy skits with Lawrence, a rising young singer who had joined the show a year earlier. When the program became NBC's "Tonight Show" in 1954, the young couple went with it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP: Eydie Gorme (1928-2013)

Popular singer Eydie Gorme dies at 84

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/08/10/eydie-gorme-dies/2639723/

Eydie Gorme, a popular nightclub and television singer as a solo act and as a team with her husband, Steve Lawrence, has died. She was 84.

Gorme, who also had a huge solo hit in 1963 with "Blame it on the Bossa Nova," died Saturday at Sunrise Hospital in Las Vegas following a brief, undisclosed illness, said her publicist, Howard Bragman.

Gorme was a successful band singer and nightclub entertainer when she was invited to join the cast of Steve Allen's local New York television show in 1953.

She sang solos and also did duets and comedy skits with Lawrence, a rising young singer who had joined the show a year earlier. When the program became NBC's "Tonight Show" in 1954, the young couple went with it.

RIP Eydie. She (with and without Steve) was one of my favorite artists growing up. "Tonight I'll say a Prayer" and "Blame it on the Bossa Nova" are in most of my playlists. I was a generation too young to appreciate everything she did but I loved her voice and when she went pop she did some great stuff.

Steve

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was really saddened when I heard this. Steve and Eydie were known in the industry for being truly nice people who were great to work with. And they had a real love story. They lost a son when he was in his 20's and I can remember how much it affected people because they were so well thought of as a family.

RIP Eydie. Thanks for all the great music.

Last edited: