RIP: Charles Grodin (1935-2021)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charles Grodin, ‘Heartbreak Kid’ and ‘Midnight Run’ actor, dead at 86

https://nypost.com/2021/05/18/charles-grodin-heartbreak-kid-and-midnight-run-star-dead-at-86/

Actor Charles Grodin, whose comedic work graced TV, movies and Broadway, has died of bone marrow cancer. He was 86.

Grodin’s son Nicholas confirmed the news to the Times, saying he passed away in his home in Wilton, Connecticut.

A master of deadpan, Grodin starred in movies such as “The Heartbreak Kid,” “Midnight Run” and “Beethoven,” as well as the Broadway show “Same Time, Next Year.” Throughout the ’90s, he was a familiar face on “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson” and “Late Night with David Letterman.”

Though he never won an Emmy for those performances, he did nab one for his writing work: In 1978, he won an Outstanding Writing in a Comedy-Varlety or Music Special Emmy for his work on “The Paul Simon Special,” which aired on NBC.

Grodin landed on the acting scene in 1962 with the Broadway comedy “Tchin-Tchin,” followed by a role in “Absence of a Cello” in 1964 and his breakthrough appearance in “Same Time, Next Year,” opposite Ellen Burstyn. Then, it was onto Hollywood, where he became a household name for his roles in director Mike Nichols’ “Catch-22” in 1970, followed by Neil Simon’s “The Heartbreak Kid” opposite Cybill Shepherd in 1972 and 1978’s “Heaven Can Wait” with Warren Beatty.

In 1992, he played the father role in the family comedy “Beethoven” as well as the sequel a year later.

More at the link: https://nypost.com/2021/05/18/charles-grodin-heartbreak-kid-and-midnight-run-star-dead-at-86/

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that's at least the 3rd significant character we've lost this year from the cast of Midnight Run (The Duke, Alonzo Mosely and Jerry the I'll get some donuts guy. RIP Charles Grodin, maybe you really did play the same character most of the time but you were great at it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chorizo and eggs is my favorite breakfast and it’s all because of this movie.

quite possibly the best buddy road trip movie ever. Unbelievable chemistry between DeNiro and Grodin, an epic villain turn from Dennis Farina. Yaphet Coto, Joey Pants, John Ashton, Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber, Philip Baker Hall. I could go on and on about every single actor. Just an incredible group of character actors, every single one of them given an actual character and making a mark with it, no matter how big or small the role.

And Grodin holding it all together with one of the all-time dry comic performances. His scene doing the Litmus Test in Red’s Bar is a clinic in understated comedy.

also, he made Clifford with Martin Short playing a seven year old.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife was never a fan of David Letterman, but she put up with me watching the show for some of the guests he'd have on. One night we were watching and Dave was talking over Charles Grodin. Charles shut him down completely simply by pointing it out. He said "Dave, I'm talking here." Then paused a second and continued with his story. My wife instantly became a Charles Grodin fan.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave