Right Knee Concerns for Hump ?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by legend, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Veer

Veer Registered

That's probably the smart and simple answer. If Humphries had stayed healthy the vast majority of his career, I could care less if he is just an average LT at best. He should be happy playing under the tag because it's lots of guaranteed money for one year, but we aren't tied to him long-term if he struggles again. If he can confirm last season, stay healthy and protect KM to the best of his ability, he is worth a decent contract in 2021.

cardjunkie and blindseyed like this.
  2. BritCard

BritCard Registered

It might be in Humps interest to do that. The new CBA comes into effect next year. and there will be several changes that might be to his benefit. Things like the fully funded rule are likely to go so could lead to more guarantees. Tag costs are likely to go up, so a 2nd year on the tag would be unlikely. In fact 2nd year on the tag might go all together.

What's the worst that could happen for this team? We tag Hump for a year. He plays ok in 12 games but misses 4. Keim considers that enough. The new CBA comes in, the cap goes up more than previous years not only based on an extra game but as a percentage per game. The new norm for an OT becomes $20m per year and high guarantees. We give Hump a 4 year $70m deal with $50m in G's. Both his knees evaporate in the 1st snap of camp and he never plays again.

That's my current mood!

3. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I was going to watch as many of Kylers passing reps as I could find, rather than the All 22 there are several "Every Kyler Murray throw vs X" videos on You tube. The 1st regular season game in the list was the Ravens so I put it on ready to note all the whiffs that Kyler had to avoid and the very first snap of the game...well just watch.

I mean really? People really want to keep this guy? He's got McPhee lined up over him and just lets him free run at Kyler in the 1st snap of his 1st road game? Dude is trash.

Then skip to 1:34 and see some more garbage.
    Then 2:51. Were only just in Q2 by this point and he already has a sack avoided, and got Kyler hit twice.
    3:39 another hurry.
    4:28 another QB hit.
    5:49 both tackles get beat round the corner and force a bad pass on 3rd and goal.
    6:15 I have no idea what this is.
    6:52 Beat inside, but then the whole line sucked

Hump is awful. I'll do a late season game later for comparison.

4. daves

daves Keepin' it real! Contributor

I said that it's really hard to reconcile (a) Kyler was 28th in time to throw (27 QB's had more time) and (b) the Cardinals’ line as a unit was No. 10 in the league, sustaining blocks for at least 2.5 seconds 62% of the time.

Yes, this part is easy to understand. But how can 27 QBs have had more time to throw than Kyler, yet only 9 OLs sustained blocks for 2.5 seconds as often as the Cardinals OL?

...dbs

Ronin and BritCard like this.
  5. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

You can say he is not good enough but obviously he also played well enough through out the season to warrant consideration by others which includes the Cardinal front office. There is also tape removed from that one that is probably the opposite conclusion. Again, I watched all the games and frankly would yell when they attempted to run the ball opposite of Humpries side, because our best runs were to the left. Lastly we really do not know all the protection schemes and what the hell Shipley might have been calling and if Humphries was able to comprehend if the call was coming in late. I think he is above average which is good enough for all the holes we have and actually cheaper to sign a stud guard or center than replace him because the OL works as a whole

6. daves

daves Keepin' it real! Contributor

Interesting... i'd like to see someone who knows more about O-line blocking schemes to break some of these down.

On the first one, Humphries obviously sees that there's a blocker lined up over his left shoulder, but the play / line call must call for a shift to the right. Not sure whether the expectation was that David Johnson would pick up the free rusher, or if the play was designed for a quick dump-off to Fitz or Johnson, who each look to have been open for an easy 5+ yard pickup? There's also a pretty well sealed-off rushing lane for Murray on the left side, once he evades the pass rusher. Hard to believe that Humphries saw a free rusher and just thought, "I just won't bother with that guy" for no reason. I'd be more inclined to think that Humphreys did what he was supposed to there.

The play at 0:34 looks like a similar situation where the line again blocked to the right and Johnson did pick up the free rusher from the left - he just did a lousy job of blocking him.

There were a bunch of plays between 0:34 and 1:34 where Humphries seemed to do a good job. Then....

At 1:34, counting the pass rushers and blockers from the far side of the field to the near side, given the empty backfield, it's hard to figure why Humphries was looking right, rather than at the guy off his left shoulder. He points to the LB to his right just before the snap. This pressure is probably on him regardless of the line call.

Then a bunch more solid plays by Humphries until 2:51....

At 2:51, Humphries seems to have two rushers to account for... i'm guessing he should've taken the inside guy and let Edmonds do his best on the outside guy. Instead, Humphries seems to get caught in no-mans land trying to block both guys, Edmonds takes the inside guy, and Humphries does a poor job slowing down the outside guy, who pressures Murray. Definitely looks like a screw up.

Anyway, that's the first three you list. Again, i'm not the guy who should be trying to analyze the line play here - hopefully someone else will jump in. From what i can tell, some of the plays are on Humphries, but some may be on someone else, and some may simply be that in game 2, the O-linemen weren't yet all on the same page.

:shrug:

...dbs

wa52lz likes this.
  7. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I can tell you that first play isn't intended because all the WRs on that side are looking back for a pass, they aren't run blocking.

All tackles have solid plays the majority of the time. Even donkeys like Matt Khalil. It's how many whiffs and bad decisions they have and from watching Hump this years there are more than most.