Ricky Rubio agrees to deal with Suns

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Jun 30, 2019.

1. ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS ONE HEART BEAT!!!

I hear what you're saying, but I can't look at being effectively out of the playoff race by mid January as a major step forward - it would be one thing if we were a young team taking lumps and growing into a contender, but outside of Ayton turning into a dominant force, I just don't see this group having any aspirations outside of fighting for an 8 seed anytime soon. Paying a guy like Rubio 16M per won't make it any easier to acquire the kind of talent we'll need to be relevant again.

It seems like lots of fans/media are ok with the team being something better than completely embarrassing, but as Suns fans, I'd hope we'd shoot higher.

BC867 likes this.
  2. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

You need to walk before you can run. We could have 80 million in space... no big time star is going to join a team in the toilet. We've, still, got the youngest roster in the league. We're 4 games out of a playoff spot, end the season on the up swing, shore up the depth with our cap space and don't screw up the draft, let development take care of the rest.

If we can push it to 40+ wins next season, while still having one of the youngest teams in the league, we will have a chance to make a real splash.

3. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I don't know what we're growing into but despite jettisoning several very young players and bringing in several veterans, we're still the youngest team in the NBA.

4. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

I disagree. Rubio's contract is for only two more seasons. The Suns weren't going to be a 55-win team by then anyway. What you gain with Rubio is re-establishing the franchise's credibility. The Suns are still bad, but they aren't a laughing stock. There was no possible set of moves in the 2019 offseason that would have gotten the Suns to where you want them.

It's like if you sustain a major injury to your leg, the first thing you focus on is being able to walk again. The acrobatics come later.

SirStefan32 likes this.
  5. ASUCHRIS

I appreciate the positivity - god knows we deserve it after the last 10 years, I guess I just don't trust James Jones to turn this current group into a legit contender.

BC867 likes this.
  6. itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan Registered

I remember what a turd show it was last year without a legit PG on the team. Rubio is worth every penny. Yes, his shooting isn't very good, but he's top 5 in the league in assists. If he was a good shooter, he'd be a max salary player.

7. ASUCHRIS

Maybe not - but most of the moves of the 2019 offseason are still a mystery to me. Trading down for Saric/Johnson? Rubio instead of Brogdon/other options? Giving up assets just to dump TJ?

It's nice that we're not a complete embarrassment anymore, but I haven't confident that Jones is the man to lead us out of irrelevance.

BC867 likes this.
  8. itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan Registered

I'm still a little dumbfounded about dumping TJ. He is a legit, good NBA player on a good contract. Did we really have to dump him to sign Rubio? Seems odd to me.

ASUCHRIS likes this.
  9. Raze

Raze Suns fan since '89

I actually completely agree with you on JJ's asset management, if and only if you evaluate each trade in isolation. However, as a whole they make a lot of sense. Especially when you consider his first move...

The linchpin is Monty. Monty is the #1 pick up this last off season outside of AD. For us, he's better than any other possible coaching hire, free agent acquisition, trade, or draft pick. So far he's proven to be the real deal. You need look no further than through the growth of both DA and Book. Hopefully, he becomes a staple of the franchise and is here for years to come.

Ricky was a good signing at the time and has looked better and better when compared to other PG signings. For example, this year his PER is better than Rozier and he us cost $3M less. He's also boasting a 3.29 A/TO ratio and is #2 in Assists/48min. His numbers are really good for a guy who is paid in the bottom 3rd of starting PG contracts. Most importantly he passes the eyeball test when viewing our team as a whole. There is no doubt we are a better team with him on the floor... warts and all.

JJ got Monty right. JJ got Ricky right. His other "mistakes" pale in comparison to these two moves. Plus, JJ has a grand design that he aggressively and boldly went after last year. He felt it necessary to cut bait on anything that didn't fit the design. I can't argue with the results even if I don't like the means. (The fact that we are NO LONGER a laughing stock deserves high praise especially when you consider Sarver is still the owner.)

If he could just reel in his asset management I think JJ could end up being one of the best GMs in basketball.

10. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

That is fair, but no one was going to turn this team around in one off season.

11. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

Yeah, that was lame.

No evidence that Brogdon or "other options" were actually available.

They didn't give up much, though, right? A second-round pick or something? Addition by subtraction.

Me either, but I thought we were talking about Rubio.

12. itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan Registered

I don't understand how it was addition by subtraction. He was a good player for us. Now hes a good player for tge Pacers. Seems like subtraction by subtraction to me.

13. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't go quite that far. He was above average when he played but he missed too many games for me to say he was a good player for us. We were tanking during this time but not much of his time off was due to that. For his 5 years here he averaged almost 30 missed games per season.

Finito likes this.
  14. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I don't think Warren wanted to play for the Suns. Nothing concrete but the Suns always kept the option open for him to return last season (when he was out injured) until the very end. Maybe one of those unhappy players the Suns didn't trade soon enough.

Hoop Head likes this.
  15. Hoop Head

Hoop Head ASFN Contributor Contributor

I agree with that. I know he didn't say anything on his own but his silence said a lot. Igor always talked about him returning like the ball was in his court, which is how a coach should handle it, but I don't believe a single player mentioned his return. Look at this year when Ayton was suspended, Baynes got hurt, Rubio missed some time, etc. Almost every player interviewed would mention getting that player back soon or eventually but last year no one said a thing about TJ returning. It's odd that a 20 ppg scorer was an afterthought amongst his teammates.

Mainstreet likes this.