JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
He has unquestionably moved the needle. Perhaps not as far as some might like, but we are waaaaaaay better than last season and we also really struggle anytime Rubio is out.

Phraz - this team has been out of playoff contention for a month, and are still completely irrelevant on the NBA stage. Blame it on injuries or whatever excuse you want, but guys like Rubio/Baynes have lots of wear on their tires, and played all summer, so it can't be a surprise that they're breaking down.

Our record will undoubtedly be better, but to what end? This newfound appreciation for Rubio reminds me of all the celebrations after the Suns were 7-4. It ignores the fact that much of our slide out of the playoff race was due to an ineffective/injured Rubio. In addition, our spacing is continually messed up because he is such an awful shooter, that teams don't even guard him.

I doubt those issues will be getting better with age.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Phraz - this team has been out of playoff contention for a month, and are still completely irrelevant on the NBA stage. Blame it on injuries or whatever excuse you want, but guys like Rubio/Baynes have lots of wear on their tires, and played all summer, so it can't be a surprise that they're breaking down.

Our record will undoubtedly be better, but to what end? This newfound appreciation for Rubio reminds me of all the celebrations after the Suns were 7-4. It ignores the fact that much of our slide out of the playoff race was due to an ineffective/injured Rubio. In addition, our spacing is continually messed up because he is such an awful shooter, that teams don't even guard him.

I doubt those issues will be getting better with age.

My view of Rubio hasn't changed during these last few games.

He is an awful shooter and it hurt us, but he has also made our offense waaaaaaay more fluid and he is a really good defender. We're on pace to end up with 34 wins, a 15 win jump. That is, without a doubt, a large movement of the needle, and when you look at how we've played without him on the court, it is clear that Rubio is a major factor in the Suns upswing.

And seriously... last season we were getting absolutely obliterated nearly every game, repeatedly down by 20+ before halftime even started. This year we've been in nearly every game and we've, somehow, got more blowout wins than blowout losses.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My opinion on Rubio is the same now as it was a year ago. He's one of the best point guards that are good enough to start but not really good enough to keep you happy. We are much better with him than without him but we need to upgrade especially given his age and mileage.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
My view of Rubio hasn't changed during these last few games.

He is an awful shooter and it hurt us, but he has also made our offense waaaaaaay more fluid and he is a really good defender. We're on pace to end up with 34 wins, a 15 win jump. That is, without a doubt, a large movement of the needle, and when you look at how we've played without him on the court, it is clear that Rubio is a major factor in the Suns upswing.

And seriously... last season we were getting absolutely obliterated nearly every game, repeatedly down by 20+ before halftime even started. This year we've been in nearly every game and we've, somehow, got more blowout wins than blowout losses.

I hear what you're saying, but I can't look at being effectively out of the playoff race by mid January as a major step forward - it would be one thing if we were a young team taking lumps and growing into a contender, but outside of Ayton turning into a dominant force, I just don't see this group having any aspirations outside of fighting for an 8 seed anytime soon. Paying a guy like Rubio 16M per won't make it any easier to acquire the kind of talent we'll need to be relevant again.

It seems like lots of fans/media are ok with the team being something better than completely embarrassing, but as Suns fans, I'd hope we'd shoot higher.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, but I can't look at being effectively out of the playoff race by mid January as a major step forward - it would be one thing if we were a young team taking lumps and growing into a contender, but outside of Ayton turning into a dominant force, I just don't see this group having any aspirations outside of fighting for an 8 seed anytime soon. Paying a guy like Rubio 16M per won't make it any easier to acquire the kind of talent we'll need to be relevant again.

It seems like lots of fans/media are ok with the team being something better than completely embarrassing, but as Suns fans, I'd hope we'd shoot higher.

You need to walk before you can run. We could have 80 million in space... no big time star is going to join a team in the toilet. We've, still, got the youngest roster in the league. We're 4 games out of a playoff spot, end the season on the up swing, shore up the depth with our cap space and don't screw up the draft, let development take care of the rest.

If we can push it to 40+ wins next season, while still having one of the youngest teams in the league, we will have a chance to make a real splash.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it would be one thing if we were a young team taking lumps and growing into a contender

I don't know what we're growing into but despite jettisoning several very young players and bringing in several veterans, we're still the youngest team in the NBA.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Paying a guy like Rubio 16M per won't make it any easier to acquire the kind of talent we'll need to be relevant again.

I disagree. Rubio's contract is for only two more seasons. The Suns weren't going to be a 55-win team by then anyway. What you gain with Rubio is re-establishing the franchise's credibility. The Suns are still bad, but they aren't a laughing stock. There was no possible set of moves in the 2019 offseason that would have gotten the Suns to where you want them.

It's like if you sustain a major injury to your leg, the first thing you focus on is being able to walk again. The acrobatics come later.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You need to walk before you can run. We could have 80 million in space... no big time star is going to join a team in the toilet. We've, still, got the youngest roster in the league. We're 4 games out of a playoff spot, end the season on the up swing, shore up the depth with our cap space and don't screw up the draft, let development take care of the rest.

If we can push it to 40+ wins next season, while still having one of the youngest teams in the league, we will have a chance to make a real splash.

I appreciate the positivity - god knows we deserve it after the last 10 years, I guess I just don't trust James Jones to turn this current group into a legit contender.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I remember what a turd show it was last year without a legit PG on the team. Rubio is worth every penny. Yes, his shooting isn't very good, but he's top 5 in the league in assists. If he was a good shooter, he'd be a max salary player.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
There was no possible set of moves in the 2019 offseason that would have gotten the Suns to where you want them.

Maybe not - but most of the moves of the 2019 offseason are still a mystery to me. Trading down for Saric/Johnson? Rubio instead of Brogdon/other options? Giving up assets just to dump TJ?

It's nice that we're not a complete embarrassment anymore, but I haven't confident that Jones is the man to lead us out of irrelevance.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm still a little dumbfounded about dumping TJ. He is a legit, good NBA player on a good contract. Did we really have to dump him to sign Rubio? Seems odd to me.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Maybe not - but most of the moves of the 2019 offseason are still a mystery to me. Trading down for Saric/Johnson? Rubio instead of Brogdon/other options? Giving up assets just to dump TJ?

It's nice that we're not a complete embarrassment anymore, but I haven't confident that Jones is the man to lead us out of irrelevance.
I actually completely agree with you on JJ's asset management, if and only if you evaluate each trade in isolation. However, as a whole they make a lot of sense. Especially when you consider his first move...

The linchpin is Monty. Monty is the #1 pick up this last off season outside of AD. For us, he's better than any other possible coaching hire, free agent acquisition, trade, or draft pick. So far he's proven to be the real deal. You need look no further than through the growth of both DA and Book. Hopefully, he becomes a staple of the franchise and is here for years to come.

Ricky was a good signing at the time and has looked better and better when compared to other PG signings. For example, this year his PER is better than Rozier and he us cost $3M less. He's also boasting a 3.29 A/TO ratio and is #2 in Assists/48min. His numbers are really good for a guy who is paid in the bottom 3rd of starting PG contracts. Most importantly he passes the eyeball test when viewing our team as a whole. There is no doubt we are a better team with him on the floor... warts and all.

JJ got Monty right. JJ got Ricky right. His other "mistakes" pale in comparison to these two moves. Plus, JJ has a grand design that he aggressively and boldly went after last year. He felt it necessary to cut bait on anything that didn't fit the design. I can't argue with the results even if I don't like the means. (The fact that we are NO LONGER a laughing stock deserves high praise especially when you consider Sarver is still the owner.)

If he could just reel in his asset management I think JJ could end up being one of the best GMs in basketball.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I appreciate the positivity - god knows we deserve it after the last 10 years, I guess I just don't trust James Jones to turn this current group into a legit contender.

That is fair, but no one was going to turn this team around in one off season.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Maybe not - but most of the moves of the 2019 offseason are still a mystery to me. Trading down for Saric/Johnson?

Yeah, that was lame.

Rubio instead of Brogdon/other options?

No evidence that Brogdon or "other options" were actually available.

Giving up assets just to dump TJ?

They didn't give up much, though, right? A second-round pick or something? Addition by subtraction.

Me either, but I thought we were talking about Rubio.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They didn't give up much, though, right? A second-round pick or something? Addition by subtraction.
I don't understand how it was addition by subtraction. He was a good player for us. Now hes a good player for tge Pacers. Seems like subtraction by subtraction to me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how it was addition by subtraction. He was a good player for us. Now hes a good player for tge Pacers. Seems like subtraction by subtraction to me.

I wouldn't go quite that far. He was above average when he played but he missed too many games for me to say he was a good player for us. We were tanking during this time but not much of his time off was due to that. For his 5 years here he averaged almost 30 missed games per season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Warren wanted to play for the Suns. Nothing concrete but the Suns always kept the option open for him to return last season (when he was out injured) until the very end. Maybe one of those unhappy players the Suns didn't trade soon enough.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Warren wanted to play for the Suns. Nothing concrete but the Suns always kept the option open for him to return last season (when he was out injured) until the very end. Maybe one of those unhappy players the Suns didn't trade soon enough.

I agree with that. I know he didn't say anything on his own but his silence said a lot. Igor always talked about him returning like the ball was in his court, which is how a coach should handle it, but I don't believe a single player mentioned his return. Look at this year when Ayton was suspended, Baynes got hurt, Rubio missed some time, etc. Almost every player interviewed would mention getting that player back soon or eventually but last year no one said a thing about TJ returning. It's odd that a 20 ppg scorer was an afterthought amongst his teammates.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose