RichRod to be Fired

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Don't kid yourselves - Sumlin is not such a sure thing home run hire. He brings a ton of baggage, too. There is a reason that with all of the high profile jobs open this off season, no one else wanted him. His opportunities came down to UA job or a WR positional job with the Raiders. And it sounds like he was more of a fall back choice even for the UA job.

We won't know if it's a home run until he wins but he's a huge upgrade over RR. Interested to see his staff.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We won't know if it's a home run until he wins but he's a huge upgrade over RR. Interested to see his staff.

Yeah, like UofA could've been in the SEC West and had a winning record and bowl game every year. ASU and UofA would've been lucky to beat Arkansas in any of the last six years. Forget about the rest of that division. They would've been humiliated on a weekly basis.

A&M beat the dog crap out of ASU two years ago. It looked liked men against boys at times. I know. I went to Houston for that game.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget recruiting Arizona. That will be nice, but it's not enough. For an Arizona school to break through to elite, they have to crack So Cal like Oregon and Washington.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Keyshawn Johnson’s son already sent his transcripts to Arizona, so it looks like this hire is already paying dividends.

Love it. Sumlin will bring talent to Tucson RichRod simply couldn’t pull in.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm glad he's bringing in Mazzone. Tate wasted too many plays on deep balls. He needs much more simple throws like he did with Brock Oz.

The players are happy Yates is staying. Win-win.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score

I would take Kelly over Sumlin, but I would say that both are in positions in which they are needed. Sumlin is the far superior recruiter and will need to work a bit harder to pull kids away from SoCal; whereas, Kelly is a proven tactician at a school that, for all intents and purposes, sells itself.

Sidebar: Jon Wilner is a tool.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I would take Kelly over Sumlin, but I would say that both are in positions in which they are needed. Sumlin is the far superior recruiter and will need to work a bit harder to pull kids away from SoCal; whereas, Kelly is a proven tactician at a school that, for all intents and purposes, sells itself.

Sidebar: Jon Wilner is a tool.

So will he bring classes right away like Taggert?

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
So will he bring classes right away like Taggert?

With two weeks to go until signing day, I highly doubt he'll completely dominate recruiting right off the bat, but it's encouraging to hear that Keyshawn's son will be enrolling. I think he gets one or two four-star flips and a couple of impact grad transfers, but nothing earth shattering. It also looks like we're not going to see many transfers of substance away from the program (although I hope Trevor Wood reconsiders, as I think he'd make a hell of a D-end).

Sumlin is by far the best recruiter Arizona has ever seen. He's going to bring charisma, bravado, and "swag" to Tucson. He will be more involved directly with recruiting and will use gimmicks that the previous regime didn't (and even though I hate gimmicks, I know that 16-18-year-old kids are attracted to things like "swag copters").

I don't think it's far-fetched to expect a top-25 class in 2019, though.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
With two weeks to go until signing day, I highly doubt he'll completely dominate recruiting right off the bat, but it's encouraging to hear that Keyshawn's son will be enrolling. I think he gets one or two four-star flips and a couple of impact grad transfers, but nothing earth shattering. It also looks like we're not going to see many transfers of substance away from the program (although I hope Trevor Wood reconsiders, as I think he'd make a hell of a D-end).

Sumlin is by far the best recruiter Arizona has ever seen. He's going to bring charisma, bravado, and "swag" to Tucson. He will be more involved directly with recruiting and will use gimmicks that the previous regime didn't (and even though I hate gimmicks, I know that 16-18-year-old kids are attracted to things like "swag copters").

I don't think it's far-fetched to expect a top-25 class in 2019, though.

Yeah I was asking more about 19'. The in-state talent seems to be better than in recent years. Specifically in the valley and some JUCO guys too. If Tate stays healthy and they have a great year Sumlin will take advantage of it big time (assuming he doesn't bolt).

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Brett McMurphy
@Brett_McMurphy

Once approved by Arizona Board of Regents, Kevin Sumlin will receive 5-year, $14.5M contract. Initial base pay would be $2M per year during first 2 years of contract & increase to $3.5M per year during years 3 thru 5

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darren Rovell
@darrenrovell

$11 million: What Arizona will pay Kevin Sumlin to coach for the next four seasons.
$10.5 million: What Texas A&M is paying Kevin Sumlin NOT TO COACH. Entire payment is due in 9 days.

Yes, Kevin Sumlin has done quite well for himself. If he does something crazy, like win a Pac 12 championship, Arizona will have to tear that deal up and give him a nice raise to keep him.

How much does Miller make? I would guess his salary is right there or even more.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Must be nice for money to not be an object in a coaching search. Sumlin’s buyout and Jimbo’s deal make Graham’s buyout and Edwards’ contract look like chump change to TAMU.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
11th in PAC, last in South, 58th overall per 247

Found this on another message board about the UofA recruiting. Is this correct? Doesn't seem like Sumlin will have much of a recruiting impact for next year's team at least.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Found this on another message board about the UofA recruiting. Is this correct? Doesn't seem like Sumlin will have much of a recruiting impact for next year's team at least.

Rich Rod had 22 commits when he was fired. A third of which Sumlin probably wouldn't have even offered. There's not much he could do between having too many signed players and being the last coach hired. His staff wasn't complete until a week ago.

I'm glad he kept Joyner and got Doyle late. That gives them a top-25 ranked pro-style and dual-threat QB to develop behind Tate.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score

Sumlin had like 2-3 open scholarships with which to work and didn't have his full staff until a week before signing day. With those scholarships, he was able to reel in a 3/4* QB and 4* transfer WR Keyshawn Johnson Jr. I'd venture to guess that he'll try and lure in a grad transfer, likely at linebacker.

Don't get it twisted: This is RichRod's recruiting class, and it shows how bad he was at recruiting. RichRod thought he could outsmart the system and recruit small players and "coach them up." In the end, he had no depth and was small at key positions, such as the defensive line.

All of the guys that Sumlin has offered are 5*, 4* and high 3* guys. This shows that he's shooting for the moon. While I don't think Arizona will have a Top-10 class with multiple 5* recruits, it wouldn't surprise me if it has a Top-25 class in 2019.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose