Reversal of Fortune

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Being a long suffering Cardinals fan I kept yelling at my wife as she was celebrating the Murphy TD that the game wasn't over yet and Murphy might have released the ball too soon. I had a bad feeling in my gut that the TD was going to end up a touchback. Alas I ended up looking like a fool and my wife was like "SEE! Touchdown!". She just doesn't understand the Cardinals PTSD I've suffered through with this team!
Same here. I find myself looking for flags whenever we have big play. The phrase “the play is under review” makes me cringe. Yesterday was no different.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The excitement and adrenaline that comes with a play like that is extreme. It isn’t showboating, it is the thrill of accomplishment that overcomes the rational part of your brain.

Also holding a football is like Slash holding a guitar or a master carpenter holding a chisel.

It's second nature.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same with the “holding” call on 4th down against Ertz.
Just saw "Baldy's Breakdown" of the comeback. Not sure whether the refs called the wrong defender's number, but the Raiders held at least two and possibly THREE other Cardinals receivers much more flagrantly than Ertz on the play. The flag was thrown by the official in the middle of the end zone, probably for a blatant hold on Brown. The play starts at the 3:55 mark of the video.

...dave

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I didn't see the refs blatantly favor the Cardinals at all.

In fact that failed 4th down conversion to Zach Ertz early in the 4th quarter, I thought he was clearly interfered with and would have given the Cardinals a 1st and goal at the 1.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw "Baldy's Breakdown" of the comeback. Not sure whether the refs called the wrong defender's number, but the Raiders held at least two and possibly THREE other Cardinals receivers much more flagrantly than Ertz on the play. The flag was thrown by the official in the middle of the end zone, probably for a blatant hold on Brown. The play starts at the 3:55 mark of the video.

...dave
Nice to see Baldy use a computer rather than video his tv. Lol.

I got chills watching that again. I love the Hernandez smoking of Crosby on the AJ Green 2 pt conversion.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

...dave
Yeah I saw that also. Made me feel much better that the call was on the up and up.

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
Can anyone find photos of the sideline view that show just how close it was to being a touchback? I haven't been able to find any...
My seat was in the front row immediately on that goalline (you can see me in the replay, 99-Goldberg jersey, white hat) — didn’t have my camera out to record that play — but was watching for him to cross and was immediately concerned that the celebration was premature (still remember Pat Tilley doing something like this against Dallas in a Monday night game in the 80s). You can see my reaction turn from joy (arms held up) to concern in the split second as the camera pans.

It was very close. I’d say the ball barely broke the plane, only because he was holding it slightly in front of his body, and so, if anything, would give the illusion that it was early since the rest of his body hadn’t yet crossed. But man, such unnecessary drama.

However, since he threw the ball forward, might it have been an illegal forward pass instead of a touchback? Five yards from the spot, and so first and goal from the six? I seem to recall when it has happened before the ruling was a touchback, though I can’t specifically remember the dynamics.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
My seat was in the front row immediately on that goalline (you can see me in the replay, 99-Goldberg jersey, white hat) — didn’t have my camera out to record that play — but was watching for him to cross and was immediately concerned that the celebration was premature (still remember Pat Tilley doing something like this against Dallas in a Monday night game in the 80s). You can see my reaction turn from joy (arms held up) to concern in the split second as the camera pans.

It was very close. I’d say the ball barely broke the plane, only because he was holding it slightly in front of his body, and so, if anything, would give the illusion that it was early since the rest of his body hadn’t yet crossed. But man, such unnecessary drama.

However, since he threw the ball forward, might it have been an illegal forward pass instead of a touchback? Five yards from the spot, and so first and goal from the six? I seem to recall when it has happened before the ruling was a touchback, though I can’t specifically remember the dynamics.
We saw you down there from our seats. Can always pick you out because of the hat.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is this why Desean Jackson isn’t signed yet? Despite being 35, he still got that speed as seen from last year

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
Just looked back on YouTube at a few similar plays and am convinced that, IF EARLY, the play would’ve resulted in it being Arizona ball at the six yardline and NOT a touchback:

2008 Eagles/Cowboys: DeSean Jackson flings the ball *backwards* before he scores. Nobody picks it up and ball is dead at the one. Refs initially rule TD so play is dead anyway (I believe this is before you could challenge a “clear recovery” so even if Dallas picked it up, the whistle already blew and so the only ruling is that it is Philly ball at the one). Eagles scored on the next play.

2006 Raiders/Chargers: Vincent Jackson catches the ball going to the ground for a first down, is never touched, gets up and spins the ball *FORWARD* intentionally. Raiders pounce on the loose ball. Ruling is an illegal forward pass, five yards from the spot. Chargers keep possession through this loophole.

The 2006 play would suggest that if the forward motion is *intentional*, it is considered a forward pass, and if incomplete, the play is dead. Illegal forward passes can be intercepted and returned only if caught midair. They are NOT treated as a fumble, and so Murphy’s play would not have been a touchback. Just a five-yard penalty from the spot of the “pass,” and then Arizona ball first and goal from the six. We probably still win.

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
Another one, Steelers/Jaguars: Plaxico Burress spikes the ball without being touched. However the spike was lateral and not clearly forward. No whistle, Jaguars pick it up and make a long return. Not a forward pass. Treated like a backwards/lateral pass and thus a live ball.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose