Reversal of Fortune

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
For years this board and sometimes including me, have complained the Cards don’t get balanced officiating. In the Raiders game some marginal calls helped the Cards win. I frame by framed the Murphy TD. That throwaway was so close, the Cards were lucky it stood. I watched it several times and it’s one of those not clear enough to overturn. Of course it’s a touchback and Raiders’ ball if they rule no TD.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For years this board and sometimes including me, have complained the Cards don’t get balanced officiating. In the Raiders game some marginal calls helped the Cards win. I frame by framed the Murphy TD. That throwaway was so close, the Cards were lucky it stood. I watched it several times and it’s one of those not clear enough to overturn. Of course it’s a touchback and Raiders’ ball if they rule no TD.
I stated in another thread that we got some help from the refs in this game

The holding call in the endzone was not much and there was more holding on other plays throughout the game that were worse

We got a break that we usually don't get

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IIRC during the SNF game Collingsworth said the refs are going to call holding a lot because offense fuels the NFL. I'm paraphrasing, if DBs touch a receiver past the 5 yd mark holding will be called. It's a focus this year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Next Gen Stats ball tracking said it was a TD but only by 0.02 seconds

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a long suffering Cardinals fan I kept yelling at my wife as she was celebrating the Murphy TD that the game wasn't over yet and Murphy might have released the ball too soon. I had a bad feeling in my gut that the TD was going to end up a touchback. Alas I ended up looking like a fool and my wife was like "SEE! Touchdown!". She just doesn't understand the Cardinals PTSD I've suffered through with this team!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a long suffering Cardinals fan I kept yelling at my wife as she was celebrating the Murphy TD that the game wasn't over yet and Murphy might have released the ball too soon. I had a bad feeling in my gut that the TD was going to end up a touchback. Alas I ended up looking like a fool and my wife was like "SEE! Touchdown!". She just doesn't understand the Cardinals PTSD I've suffered through with this team!

I thought Murphy had control of the ball when he crossed the goal line, but it was a little too close for comfort.

Rottweiler

Reaction score
Same my wife was also going crazy I was waiting silently for Murphys law.. but it didn't happen. :thewave:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't understand why players don't hold the ball firmly when going into the end zone. Too many of today's players are into showboating. I guess they get too emotional and excited but it is just stupid.
The excitement and adrenaline that comes with a play like that is extreme. It isn’t showboating, it is the thrill of accomplishment that overcomes the rational part of your brain.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As was the holding call in the end zone that gave the Cardinals a fresh set of downs which allowed them to scored the tying TD.
When I saw the replay I was really surprised they threw the flag. If the situation was reversed, I know I would be pissed.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't understand why players don't hold the ball firmly when going into the end zone. Too many of today's players are into showboating. I guess they get too emotional and excited but it is just stupid.
This. I was livid in real time when this happened.
All these players could learn a thing or two from Larry Fitz. Every time, just hand the ball to the official and you wouldn't have to worry about this nonsense. Almost cost us a win because of some stupid showboating.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The excitement and adrenaline that comes with a play like that is extreme. It isn’t showboating, it is the thrill of accomplishment that overcomes the rational part of your brain.
No, it's showboating. Desean Jackson has done it on a couple of occasions and looked like a clown. It's the ego that overcomes the rational part. Hold onto the ball like you've been taught since pee wee football.
Same thing in baseball where you have these kids standing at home admiring their homer only to see it hit the wall and end up with a single.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought until the 4th quarter, the Cards were getting horrible calls against them. Bad spots, that neutral zone infraction on Watt that was CLEARLY a false start. The play clock starting too early forcing us to call 2 time outs, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose