Revealing interview from M. Bidwill on the radio

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The one thing about MB that we have to remember is that even though he is the owners son and future owner, he is the president of football operations. It's not meddling in this case, it's actually his job.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
The one thing about MB that we have to remember is that even though he is the owners son and future owner, he is the president of football operations. It's not meddling in this case, it's actually his job.
This. If you want an owner that meddles too much, look at Robert Sarver. Dude can't get out of his own way. Of course Bidwill is interested in football... What business owner, even if he hires a GM and generally stays out of his way, doesn't educate himself on the details of his own business? I hear fans complain that the owner ultimately has responsibility when our team sucks. Can't have it both ways.

Of course there are owners that meddle too much (Sarver, Jerry Jones) but Bidwill doesn't strike me as that guy. He needs to be educated on what makes a successful football team, and when things go poorly ask his manager and coach what the plan is to fix it. If he doesn't have confidence in their plan, fire them and find someone else. This notion he should hire someone and "count his Benjamin's" in the back room while covering his eyes would be extremely irresponsible.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least Michael admitted the mistake in hiring Wilks & moved on quickly.

My problem is that Michael & Keim deserve a lot of blame as well. Why didn’t Bidwill & Keim as Wilks during the interview process he wanted to switch to a 4-3 defense? That’s on them!!! Michael acted like he didn’t know the defense was switching philosophy by his words when asked about it. It should’ve been one of the first questions imo.
Some people here are saying that Wilks said he intended to switch to a 4-3 from the start. I didn't remember it that way, so i looked back at the media reports on Wilks' introductory press conference and found this on PFT [emphasis mine]:

On defense, Wilks said the “personnel is there” while adding that teams need to “evolve” every year to stay competitive. He ran a 4-3 base defense in Carolina, but said he wasn’t locked into any particular scheme because he has worked with various approaches and believes in an adaptable system.

I also remember the expectation for some time after Wilks was hired was that not much would change, that "all defenses are hybrids of 3-4 and 4-3 anyway", and Wilks would play to the strengths of the players. Then eventually it came out that Wilks thought the personnel better fit a 4-3 and that he'd be switching to 4-3 as the base defense.

Seems to me that during the coaching search and interview process, Keim and Bidwill misjudged Wilks' ability to evaluate the players and running anything other than a 4-3. Likely Wilks overrated his own ability in that regard as well.

I highly doubt that Bidwill and Keim didn't ask, or that they asked and Wilks admitted that he could only run a 4-3 and that's what he thought best fit the personnel, so that's what he was going to run... and then they hired him anyway!

...dbs

EDIT: I posted this before seeing that a couple others have pointed out the same thing!

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good riddance. I'm just glad we didn't decide to go into season number 2 with Wilks, I'm not sure I could have handled another season like 2018.
Agreed. Luckily, my wife and I settled on s house in the country in October that I’ve been able to work on to keep busy on Sundays. I very willingly missed more games this year than in at least the past ten years combined.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Luckily, my wife and I settled on s house in the country in October that I’ve been able to work on to keep busy on Sundays. I very willingly missed more games this year than in at least the past ten years combined.
Better give her a heads up for this coming year! Lol!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Oh yes the super talented duo
What a bad decision benching those all pro players
But does bidwill know that journeyman Bynes was far better then each of them?

Bucannon was a decent NFL player prior to Wilks.

Reddick had at least flashed some ability during his rookie year. A good coach can find ways to channel their talents. Instead of doing that, Wilks just benched them. He could have created schemes that put them in position to succeed, but he didn't.

Look at how McCoys offense utilized David Johnson. The scheme had him running right behind center and had him running ridiculously simple routes after he had clearly demonstrated he can flat out run WR routes. Just utilizing Johnson properly could probably netted 2-3 more wins.

I think Arians gets around 7 wins if he was the coach last year. And I bet Rosen would've played significantly better with Arians running the show.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This sounds all like Wilks sold them he wouldn't change and than he did. The offense did change to ... amount to nothing and the result overall was a clear desaster that was witnessed on week 2 with the shoot out and only approaching mid field at the end of the game.

Guys, Wilks is worse and a better salesman than we thought.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
This sounds all like Wilks sold them he wouldn't change and than he did. The offense did change to ... amount to nothing and the result overall was a clear desaster that was witnessed on week 2 with the shoot out and only approaching mid field at the end of the game.

Guys, Wilks is worse and a better salesman than we thought.
Once he got that guaranteed contract, he did what he wanted, and then blamed the players. So glad he is gone.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I honestly can't ever remember Mike B. sounding so frustrated as when he talked about Buc/Reddick and the unwillingness to adjust scheme.
Maybe he had flashbacks of Arians refusing to adjust and decided we are not going down that road again.