Revealing interview from M. Bidwill on the radio

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by SeattleCard, Jan 10, 2019 at 9:50 AM.

1. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

There are two ways a new HC might seek to build a team:

1. Put together a structurally sound offense and defense and hope the players are good enough to execute within that system (Wilks?)

2. Take an aggressive creative explosive approach centered around a cluster of exceptional athletes who can make that system work. (Kingsbury?)

We know that #1 (the Wilks experiment) didn't work so well (overall talent across the board not good enough). We have to hope that Approach #2 (Air Raid) will have enough talent, explosion and creativity to make us a playoff contender.

2. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed

This is what I remember Wilks saying:

“If it’s not broke, don’t worry about trying to fix it.”

Those were Steve Wilks’ words on Tuesday when the Cardinals’ new head coach not only was asked about the state of the team’s defense, but the unspoken concerns many in and around the organization might have had about his plans for a unit that has finished ranked among the NFL’s very best each of the past three years.

Wilks, after all, ran a 4-3 base defense as defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers last season. The Cardinals, meanwhile, have run a 3-4 defense since 2007 and have enjoyed plenty of success with it. During his introductory news conference, Wilks said he doesn’t plan to tear things up and start over with an entirely new defensive philosophy or scheme.

“You said it – we’ve been pretty good around here for a while,” he said. “I think one of the things you have to do, you evolve each and every year. Even back in Carolina, we tried to evolve each and every year. So, you’re going to evaluate the roster. You’re going to look at certain things that we did well, things we need to improve on, and try and make corrections in that fashion.

“I think the personnel is there. Again, someone asked me before about a 3-4, 4-3 (system). I’ve coached in both systems, and most importantly, once again, we’re not going to change too much."

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 4:04 PM
  3. SeattleCard

SeattleCard Back in Arizona!!!

It really seems to me that Wilks sold Keim and MB on a bill of goods that he would stick with a 3-4, then changed his mind. Who knows... Glad the #Kliff era is here and finally I'm excited about the Cards future again.

daves, jlove, vince56 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Reddog

Reddog Registered

I think the facts suggest he did just that. He let Wilks do his thing, didn’t interfere and then replaced him.

wit3card, AzStevenCal and outcent13 like this.
  5. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

would love to know the truth behind this

1. maybe Wilks sold the "system" vs "scheme" talk during the interview process --- but even then, shouldn't your GM observe that Wilks spent the last X years running a 4-3...…?

2. Maybe Mike B made a call on HC over Keim's warnings on the 4-3 move. If true, then its a reason why Keim was kept.

3. Maybe Wilks was upfront about a move to a 4-3 and Keim / Mike B were totally good on it. Now that it didn't work, that's all forgotten. Wouldn't be the first CEO to have some self-serving revisionist history.

6. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

Well, Wilks wasn't wrong. They ran mostly a base nickel defense.

7. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain DPOY

A worrying trend would have been to not understand and let it continue.

AzStevenCal and outcent13 like this.
  8. iLLmatiC

iLLmatiC Drive-by Poster

Good riddance. I'm just glad we didn't decide to go into season number 2 with Wilks, I'm not sure I could have handled another season like 2018.

cardsfanmd, daves, Dayman and 3 others like this.
  9. Hoodhero

Hoodhero Registered

Bidwill sounded pissed about Buc & Reddick been benched.

cardsfanmd, Krangthebrain and daves like this.
  10. juza76

juza76 Registered

Oh yes the super talented duo
    What a bad decision benching those all pro players
    But does bidwill know that journeyman Bynes was far better then each of them?

11. outcent13

outcent13 Registered

The one thing about MB that we have to remember is that even though he is the owners son and future owner, he is the president of football operations. It's not meddling in this case, it's actually his job.

daves and The Kraken like this.
  12. gbrim21

gbrim21 Registered

This. If you want an owner that meddles too much, look at Robert Sarver. Dude can't get out of his own way. Of course Bidwill is interested in football... What business owner, even if he hires a GM and generally stays out of his way, doesn't educate himself on the details of his own business? I hear fans complain that the owner ultimately has responsibility when our team sucks. Can't have it both ways.

Of course there are owners that meddle too much (Sarver, Jerry Jones) but Bidwill doesn't strike me as that guy. He needs to be educated on what makes a successful football team, and when things go poorly ask his manager and coach what the plan is to fix it. If he doesn't have confidence in their plan, fire them and find someone else. This notion he should hire someone and "count his Benjamin's" in the back room while covering his eyes would be extremely irresponsible.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

oaken1, b8rtm8nn, daves and 2 others like this.
  13. LarryStalling

LarryStalling Registered

I am excited. I can turn my Cardinal cap around and wear it and be proud to be a Cardinal fan!

CardNots likes this.
  14. daves

daves Keepin' it real! Contributor

Some people here are saying that Wilks said he intended to switch to a 4-3 from the start. I didn't remember it that way, so i looked back at the media reports on Wilks' introductory press conference and found this on PFT [emphasis mine]:

I also remember the expectation for some time after Wilks was hired was that not much would change, that "all defenses are hybrids of 3-4 and 4-3 anyway", and Wilks would play to the strengths of the players. Then eventually it came out that Wilks thought the personnel better fit a 4-3 and that he'd be switching to 4-3 as the base defense.

Seems to me that during the coaching search and interview process, Keim and Bidwill misjudged Wilks' ability to evaluate the players and running anything other than a 4-3. Likely Wilks overrated his own ability in that regard as well.

I highly doubt that Bidwill and Keim didn't ask, or that they asked and Wilks admitted that he could only run a 4-3 and that's what he thought best fit the personnel, so that's what he was going to run... and then they hired him anyway!

...dbs

EDIT: I posted this before seeing that a couple others have pointed out the same thing!

Mainstreet, wa52lz and Zeno like this.
  15. cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd Registered

Agreed. Luckily, my wife and I settled on s house in the country in October that I’ve been able to work on to keep busy on Sundays. I very willingly missed more games this year than in at least the past ten years combined.

iLLmatiC likes this.