Response on the 2023 Draft

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’ve collected a few emails about the Cards draft options, so here are my thoughts. The Cards likely have their first 6 picks. Mullen’s deal was conditional on his be active for 10 games, which now seems unlikely, so they’ll give up their 7th pick. They anticipate getting 3, 5, & 6 round picks in free agent compensation. Of course a mediocre record increases the value of their original picks. So, this could be a great draft, though draft history is worrisome.

I recommend the free Profootballnetwork.com newsletter. Tony Pauline, one of the best talent evaluators, still works there. He is not the author, but I’m certain he has input. They only pick early choices.

The pool is interesting. Several round 1 QBs will likely go, though only a couple early. It’s a good thing Thomas is coming along, as few top Edges will be available. I like the O-linemen better than most of the gurus, especially potential guards. It’s shaping up to be a fine draft for CBs. Ironically there are several decent LBs. The usual group of solid WRs will go, plus I think D-Linemen will be popular. If they were drafting today, I’d guess the Cards would go CB.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’ve collected a few emails about the Cards draft options, so here are my thoughts. The Cards likely have their first 6 picks. Mullen’s deal was conditional on his be active for 10 games, which now seems unlikely, so they’ll give up their 7th pick. They anticipate getting 3, 5, & 6 round picks in free agent compensation. Of course a mediocre record increases the value of their original picks. So, this could be a great draft, though draft history is worrisome.

I recommend the free Profootballnetwork.com newsletter. Tony Pauline, one of the best talent evaluators, still works there. He is not the author, but I’m certain he has input. They only pick early choices.

The pool is interesting. Several round 1 QBs will likely go, though only a couple early. It’s a good thing Thomas is coming along, as few top Edges will be available. I like the O-linemen better than most of the gurus, especially potential guards. It’s shaping up to be a fine draft for CBs. Ironically there are several decent LBs. The usual group of solid WRs will go, plus I think D-Linemen will be popular. If they were drafting today, I’d guess the Cards would go CB.
I'm predicting DL after Watt and Allen don't come back. Thomas will move to the DL.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need right tackle center nose tackle pass rusher cornerback and a tall receiver through free agency and draft
I think Hernandez and Ford are fine playing guard
Murphy and Zack Allen must be extended

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
if Smith works at Center I think our OLine could be set
Hump
Ford
Smith
Hernandez
Jones

gives us a lot of beef in the middle...
But I would like to see us draft another RT to develop over the next few seasons. Jones can play LT,..and Hump is getting older...so draft a guy to replace Jones when he moves over to replace Hump in 3 years or so.

Would love to see an early pick on a NT.... those guys always take time to develop, so the guys who really stand out in college have to be picked early..

sad to say it... but even if this guy from carolina sticks for a while we still need another big WR... Hop still looks great, but he still looks over 30 too. So I wouldnt freak if we used our first pick on a WR that is 6'3 or better.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
We need right tackle center nose tackle pass rusher cornerback and a tall receiver through free agency and draft
I think Hernandez and Ford are fine playing guard
Murphy and Zack Allen must be extended
I agree but if I had to pick one of the two, I pick Allen. My reasoning is that the way VJ has his defense he can get by with lower tier CBs. But I hope that behind the scenes they're working on extending both.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We traded our 5th next year for Cody Ford

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Allen definitely stays. I agree with Harry about CB at #1 and maybe another at #4. DL at #2 and #3. And if the team isn't as high on Smith at Center as some fans, then an OL at three (comp).
I like the thinking.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Allen definitely stays. I agree with Harry about CB at #1 and maybe another at #4. DL at #2 and #3. And if the team isn't as high on Smith at Center as some fans, then an OL at three (comp).
I don't get the "Draft a CB" crowd. If Vance sticks around he has shown for awhile now that his defense wastes premium CB talent. It just requires dudes to come up and get tackles or the occasional deflection for an INT.

His defense could very much use a premier edge or insider disruptor.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I don't get the "Draft a CB" crowd. If Vance sticks around he has shown for awhile now that his defense wastes premium CB talent. It just requires dudes to come up and get tackles or the occasional deflection for an INT.

His defense could very much use a premier edge or insider disruptor.
Yet look how much a ballhawk could turn a game around like Simmons did in the Saints game.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And a bunch of his recent picks are looking damn good…
Recency bias much? I don't expect anything different from you pal. You just try to erase a decade worth of embarrassing draft picks with comical statements like this. Carry on with your agenda. Keim has been the worst drafting GM for much of his time. It doesn't matter to you.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score

I would prefer DT at 1 and CB's after that. Many of the R2-3 CBs turn out better or just as good as the R1 cbs. But a real stud DT is more a R1 acquisition in my opinion. There are supposedly 3 studs at DT in this draft that they are projecting to be gone by the mid-R1. We might be able to snag the #3 one if not the #2 one depending of course where we draft.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Recency bias much? I don't expect anything different from you pal. You just try to erase a decade worth of embarrassing draft picks with comical statements like this. Carry on with your agenda. Keim has been the worst drafting GM for much of his time. It doesn't matter to you.
Triggered much?