Researchers Just Set a New Record For Data Transmission Speed

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow!

Even if you're enjoying gloriously fast broadband at home wherever you live in the world, you're still going to be a long, long way behind the new record for data transmission: an incredible 1.02 petabits per second.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Since when did Cox offer fiber?

For awhile now, at least 6 years. I'm in my 5th year in this house and it was already wired for it when I moved in. It's only available in limited areas though. Starting in the late 90s a bunch of the new home developments were being wired for it during construction. It's mainly those areas.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For awhile now, at least 6 years. I'm in my 5th year in this house and it was already wired for it when I moved in. It's only available in limited areas though. Starting in the late 90s a bunch of the new home developments were being wired for it during construction. It's mainly those areas.
Interesting. Cheaper to maintain in the long run I guess.

Everyone I knew in the valley had coax.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Interesting. Cheaper to maintain in the long run I guess.

Everyone I knew in the valley had coax.

Works so much better too. I had a slower coax plan for the first couple months I lived here and it was really flaky. I think the fiber has only had one outage since.

Fiber is getting a little more traction in the valley now. It's still spotty though and with who you can get. Cox is my only option right now. I know a couple people that have fiber with CenturyLink (one had the choice between them or Cox for it), and one of my co-workers is getting Verizon's fiber. I wish I had a the choice of them. Both of the others are cheaper than Cox and no data caps. I've been hoping that options would at least put pressure on Cox.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Works so much better too. I had a slower coax plan for the first couple months I lived here and it was really flaky. I think the fiber has only had one outage since.

Fiber is getting a little more traction in the valley now. It's still spotty though and with who you can get. Cox is my only option right now. I know a couple people that have fiber with CenturyLink (one had the choice between them or Cox for it), and one of my co-workers is getting Verizon's fiber. I wish I had a the choice of them. Both of the others are cheaper than Cox and no data caps. I've been hoping that options would at least put pressure on Cox.
I had CenturyLink fiber in the rental I had before moving to CO. It was 500M up and down for like $65 a month. Not one outage. I still even have the free modem they gave out somewhere...

I have fiber here where I live as well. It is through the city. 1G up and down for $55 a month with no caps.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I had CenturyLink fiber in the rental I had before moving to CO. It was 500M up and down for like $65 a month. Not one outage. I still even have the free modem they gave out somewhere...

I have fiber here where I live as well. It is through the city. 1G up and down for $55 a month with no caps.

Yeah, Cox sucks. I'm paying $120 and get a gig up and down but have a 1.25TB data cap. CenturyLink has multiple speed plans here now that I think run 200-940. My buddy that's switching to Verizon is paying $90 for a gig up and down with no cap. He's saving a ton of money by switching from Cox since he had to have the $50 add-on to get unlimited data with them.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Cox sucks. I'm paying $120 and get a gig up and down but have a 1.25TB data cap. CenturyLink has multiple speed plans here now that I think run 200-940. My buddy that's switching to Verizon is paying $90 for a gig up and down with no cap. He's saving a ton of money by switching from Cox since he had to have the $50 add-on to get unlimited data with them.
Yep, that's what I had to do as well. 1G down, 30M up $129 + $50 unlimited cap. It was/is madness.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Cox in Chandler as well - $130/mo - up to 1G down, 35 mb up, 1.25 TB / mo but unlimited which means it probably throttles after the 1.25 TB/mo.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I have Cox in Chandler as well - $130/mo - up to 1G down, 35 mb up, 1.25 TB / mo but unlimited which means it probably throttles after the 1.25 TB/mo.

If you hit the cap Cox doesn't throttle, they charge you for it. It's $10 for 50 GB of data that automatically gets added every time it's reached. I believe they have the charge capped at $100 (10 times). I ran into it and had a nice bill in February when my work laptop's management software went nuts and kept downloading Xcode at 11 GB a pop.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm paying $90 a month for 500 GB and an extra $50 a month for unlimited data with cox because I go over the 1.25 TB.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So is this only internet or does it include a television package?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just internet. I have DirecTV.

I guess I better not complain about paying $40 dollar a month for internet although it's terribly slow, only up to 4-5 Mbps on a good day.

I have DirecTV as well.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I better not complain about paying $40 dollar a month for internet although it's terribly slow, only up to 4-5 Mbps on a good day.

I have DirecTV as well.
My buddy just got Starlink. He's off the grid, but he thinks it's amazing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy just got Starlink. He's off the grid, but he thinks it's amazing.

I will keep it in mind.

Since I have DirecTV I really don't care much about internet speed the way I use it... email, YouTube, news, facebook, the forum and such. I presently have a lifetime deal where my internet will not cost more that $38-40 dollars a month. I hate to give it up until I have too.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will keep it in mind.

Since I have DirecTV I really don't care much about internet speed the way I use it... email, YouTube, news, facebook, the forum and such. I presently have a lifetime deal where my internet will not cost more that $38-40 dollars a month. I hate to give it up until I have too.
That's a heck of a deal.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It always amazes me the differences in what people need for this. @Mainstreet's speed would kill me but work great for him. I'm sitting here with a gig up and down thinking "maybe I should move to Chattanooga" to get more speed*. With all of the streaming, plus being a programmer, and now with WFH being on video calls all day I really eat up bandwidth.

*Chattanooga has an amazing local ISP. They wired the city with fiber and now offer up to 10 GB connections. Pricing is great too. The 1 gig up and down plan that equals what I have with Cox runs only $60/month with no caps or restrictions.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It always amazes me the differences in what people need for this. @Mainstreet's speed would kill me but work great for him. I'm sitting here with a gig up and down thinking "maybe I should move to Chattanooga" to get more speed*. With all of the streaming, plus being a programmer, and now with WFH being on video calls all day I really eat up bandwidth.

*Chattanooga has an amazing local ISP. They wired the city with fiber and now offer up to 10 GB connections. Pricing is great too. The 1 gig up and down plan that equals what I have with Cox runs only $60/month with no caps or restrictions.

I like fast internet as much as anyone. However, if I had it, I'd use it mostly for streaming.

Since I have DirecTV it's mostly a trade off to get the televsion programming I want.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, each stream should take up maybe 10GB? you streaming 20 things at once? I've never had an issue with streaming, even when I had 100 mbps. The only reason I cranked it up to 500 was for downloads and gaming.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose