Report: Suns engaged in trade talks for Dallas PG Dennis Smith Jr

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think the reason Rubio gets included into the point guard conversation is because he will likely be more obtainable in the off season.

Any Suns fan would want the type point guard you describe in post #74.

The key is finding one without giving up the farm.
The absolute main reason Rubio is in any conversation is the dramatic improvement he made to his game under Igor. That's it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The absolute main reason Rubio is in any conversation is the dramatic improvement he made to his game under Igor. That's it.

The thing is he really didn't improve all that dramatically under Igor. Slight improvement, yes, but not dramatic.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
it is not about volume scoring, we need a PG who gets inside the paint, puts pressure on the defense. Draws fouls on big guys, simply can maneuver inside the paint and find Ayton in the paint too.
Someone who can play inside and out, penetrate and make the defense collapse to find an open shooter or to score himself or drop it off to Ayton.

I think that is the most glaring hole that our current PGs have. They put no pressure on the defense and Booker is not good at that either.

Imo one of the things that separates most of the good PGs from mediocre PGs.

I think on our roster Josh Jackson is the best at it but unfortunately a bad and weak finisher still.

Our ball movement on the perimeter is good enough imo.
That's why I'm all for Ja Morant if we can't get Zion, I'm betting we get a top 3 so it wouldn't be hard to pick him

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's my back-up. My plan is to draft Zion and trade the Milwaukee pick, our 2020 protected pick and Warren (if he's still here) for Ja Morant.
That'll work! As long as they have a Head Coach with some fire in his belly. :fans:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That'll work! As long as they have a Head Coach with some fire in his belly. :fans:

I've mostly been on the fence with Koko but I'm firmly in his corner now. I don't like everything I've seen and some of it confuses the heck out of me but we've played the best defense I've ever seen from a Suns team under his watch. And yes, this great defense I'm talking about has been off and on but that beats the hell out of the off and off defense some of us have watched for 50 years.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm actually tired of the draft. I'm done with I'm excited to draft so and so. We have drafted lots of lottery picks and we are the absolute worst team in the league. I like our D lately that is a pleasant surprise . But I would trade it all just to be playoff relevant again and get a star who can get us there

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For those of you who are iffy on Dennis Smith Jr., please note that Ja Morant at best is a skinnier version of him with less of an injury history.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually tired of the draft. I'm done with I'm excited to draft so and so. We have drafted lots of lottery picks and we are the absolute worst team in the league. I like our D lately that is a pleasant surprise . But I would trade it all just to be playoff relevant again and get a star who can get us there

Yes, we are bad but no, we are not the absolute worst team in the league. And shooting for the playoffs as soon as possible means that we've put up with miserable basketball for years just so we can watch our team get their butts kicked in the first round each year. I'll pass.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes, we are bad but no, we are not the absolute worst team in the league. And shooting for the playoffs as soon as possible means that we've put up with miserable basketball for years just so we can watch our team get their butts kicked in the first round each year. I'll pass.
Agree. Pass.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
14%. Best odds you can get for a #1 pick. Tanking just doesn’t make sense unless there are 5 or 6 potentially great players. Not this year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
14%. Best odds you can get for a #1 pick. Tanking just doesn’t make sense unless there are 5 or 6 potentially great players. Not this year.

I don't know how I feel on this. IMO Zion has a chance to be a generational player and I don't see any others with that pedigree so part of me figures 14% is better than the alternative. OTOH, this team needs to continue progressing (we've gone from laughably bad to inconsistently decent). I guess I'd play it straight at least through the all star break and then take our temperature.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I don't know how I feel on this. IMO Zion has a chance to be a generational player and I don't see any others with that pedigree so part of me figures 14% is better than the alternative. OTOH, this team needs to continue progressing (we've gone from laughably bad to inconsistently decent). I guess I'd play it straight at least through the all star break and then take our temperature.
The Suns are in such disarray that it won’t make any difference. They are going to have one of the worst records.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are in such disarray that it won’t make any difference. They are going to have one of the worst records.

Sure. They look destined for a top 5 pick but they could easiy end up with the 8th or 9th worst record and it's questionable (IMO) whether that should be our priority. We've only had a handful of games where our best player was fully ready to play and most of them came before we'd acquired/integrated Oubre into the lineup so we've yet to see what this team really is.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Sure. They look destined for a top 5 pick but they could easiy end up with the 8th or 9th worst record and it's questionable (IMO) whether that should be our priority. We've only had a handful of games where our best player was fully ready to play and most of them came before we'd acquired/integrated Oubre into the lineup so we've yet to see what this team really is.

With all that garbage that came out about Booker yesterday this team is one episode away from a natural disaster.

Yesterday’s game was a train wreck.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all that garbage that came out about Booker yesterday this team is one episode away from a natural disaster.

I think we need a forum shrink or maybe just some bipolar medication. We win, this board starts thinking we've turned a corner and greatness awaits, we get blown out the next game and we're on suicide watch.

We aren't as bad as we sometimes appear to be and we aren't as good as the final score sometimes suggests. I have no idea what the Booker reveal will do to us but I don't think yesterday's loss was anymore of a train wreck than a dozen of our losses this season. And last night was blowout night around the league, only the Lakers game kept it from setting an all time record for scoring disparity on a night with at least 5 games (borrowed from ESPN).

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think we need a forum shrink or maybe just some bipolar medication. We win, this board starts thinking we've turned a corner and greatness awaits, we get blown out the next game and we're on suicide watch.

We aren't as bad as we sometimes appear to be and we aren't as good as the final score sometimes suggests. I have no idea what the Booker reveal will do to us but I don't think yesterday's loss was anymore of a train wreck than a dozen of our losses this season. And last night was blowout night around the league, only the Lakers game kept it from setting an all time record for scoring disparity on a night with at least 5 games (borrowed from ESPN).

I get all that. I’ve actually been the one to say it but I think they have bigger problems.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You talking about the two girls lol

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You talking about the two girls lol

Booker was supposed to be the face of the franchise, the leader, etc. He’s put up some big numbers but he’s out a lot and the team doesn’t play together as well when he’s on the court.

If you’re gonna dominate the ball you better make everybody else around you better. Yesterday he had a new role and he looked turble. They’ve got a lot to figure out.

Is their identity going to be defense, Point Book or some other thing.

TJ looks unhappy. Oubre looks stoned but more importantly he seems to be a pretty assertive player. He knows the remainder of the season is an audition and he’s gonna make the most of it. He’s taking minutes from TJ.

If the Suns were winning they’d probably all get along fine but that’s not the case.

Lots of personalities, lots of stories playing out.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker was supposed to be the face of the franchise, the leader, etc. He’s put up some big numbers but he’s out a lot and the team doesn’t play together as well when he’s on the court.

If you’re gonna dominate the ball you better make everybody else around you better. Yesterday he had a new role and he looked turble. They’ve got a lot to figure out.

Is their identity going to be defense, Point Book or some other thing.

TJ looks unhappy. Oubre looks stoned but more importantly he seems to be a pretty assertive player. He knows the remainder of the season is an audition and he’s gonna make the most of it. He’s taking minutes from TJ.

If the Suns were winning they’d probably all get along fine but that’s not the case.

Lots of personalities, lots of stories playing out.

Thank you. Ive been riding booker all season and finally some are seeing what I've been seeing this season.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose