Report: Suns engaged in trade talks for Dallas PG Dennis Smith Jr

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Why would we give them Jackson (4) AND a pick for Smith (9). Makes NO sense. Plus, it's not mentioned in the article.

OP
OP
Sunburst

Sunburst

Veteran
Reaction score
Speculation. Who else would they want? I could easily see us overpaying with James Jones at the helm.

Superbone

Reaction score
I probably wouldn't even do that straight up. More like Okobo and a pick. Maybe.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah this is Kellan Olson trying to elaborate on Woj’s tweet while not adding anything new to the crux of the tweet.

This can almost be a template. Replace a few of the names and this exact article could be written by n Orlando fan blog.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would we give them Jackson (4) AND a pick for Smith (9). Makes NO sense. Plus, it's not mentioned in the article.

Jackson is our 4th best wing. Warren, Oubre and Bridges are all better.

Let's be real I like Jackson but good lord has he been a disappointment and he was the player I wanted most in that draft.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Oh hell no! I wouldn't do that even without the pick. They can have the Bucks pick and a scrub of their choice. If all else fails, roll with Melton and Okobo and see what happens. I want a point guard as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't overpay like this/ JJ can be frustrating, but he's had himself a nice little run over the past month or so.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm one of Jackson's biggest critics but I wouldn't do this trade. He's finally starting to come around somehow.

DSJ is complete trash. Wasn't LeBron a big fan of him? Maybe do a 3 way deal where he goes to LAL and we get Lonzo in return.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd consider trading Warren if we really want Smith (I don't) but I'm afraid they'd want Bridges. That would make me very unhappy. I wouldn't be too happy if we traded Jackson for him either but neither deal would include an outgoing pick if it were up to me. He's just not worth it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SF88, I sure hope this is one of those times when Gambo is actually correct.

Superbone

Reaction score

Let's be real I like Jackson but good lord has he been a disappointment and he was the player I wanted most in that draft.
What's that have to do with throwing in a pick? Plus, Jackson is trending up.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The most I would give up for Smith would be the Milwaukee pick and either Okobo or Melton, and even that is a stretch for me. I really don't see all that much improvement in Smith over Okobo/Melton.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Look at DSJ’s #s this season and tell me he’s not a disappointment too.

12.6pts, 2.8reb, 3.9assists, 3.1TOs. He’s kinda the PG version of JJ.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
if Smith is not a defensive, pass-first point, what's the point?

but if he can be had for any combination of our Mil pick, 2nd round pick, Crawford, Daniels, Bender, we might use him this season and use him as trade bait later

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe they are using the Suns for leverage with Orlando and the Suns don't actually have interest?

Most likely. I'd imagine Woj is just earning points with Smith's agent or maybe someone in the Dallas front office.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whoa Jude LaCava just went in on Dennis Smith Jr. lol

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at DSJ’s #s this season and tell me he’s not a disappointment too.

12.6pts, 2.8reb, 3.9assists, 3.1TOs. He’s kinda the PG version of JJ.

Numbers are all down this year he's not meshing with Doncic.,

I honestly don't see why people are so high on Josh Jackson he might be the single most frustrating player I've ever seen.

I'd kick the tires

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Numbers are all down this year he's not meshing with Doncic.,

I honestly don't see why people are so high on Josh Jackson he might be the single most frustrating player I've ever seen.

I'd kick the tires

He frustrates me at times too but he's not even in my top thousand. Despite some strange decisions he's very much a team oriented player, something that just can't be said about Smith. And yes, Smith's numbers are down this year but they weren't much better last year. And his style of play remains the same going back to at least college so I don't see him ever mixing well in a team environment.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think they would trade Jackson.

If they are interested I think it is our pick hopefully with some protection plus okobo or Melton.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Bleep this... I don't think there is anything the Suns have that I would give up for Smith... his ceiling is Eric Bledsoe without the defense, or as someone else, mentioned, Brandon Knight, with slightly better knees.

Maybe, MAYBE, the Milwaukee pick and Melton... maybe... that's as high as I would go. Smith is not the answer to the Suns PG problem, and likely ends up being more of a minus than a plus, on the whole.