Report: Jay Gruden agrees to become Redskins head coach

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
The Redskins and Jay Gruden were reportedly making progress toward an agreement for Gruden to become the team’s next head coach when Thursday got underway.

It seems that process has reached its finish line. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Gruden has agreed to leave his post as the Bengals offensive coordinator to become the head coach in Washington and Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports Gruden has informed the Bengals that he’s leaving the team.

Gruden interviewed with the Redskins on Wednesday and was scheduled to interview for the top job in Minnesota on Thursday, but it seems the Vikings will have to take things in a different direction. That’s also true of the Titans, who interviewed Gruden on Tuesday and are scheduled to interview Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt on Friday.

It will be Gruden’s first head coaching job in the NFL, but he has been a head coach in both Arena Football and the UFL. The Redskins are expected to make an official announcement of Gruden’s hiring later on Thursday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-gruden-agrees-to-become-redskins-head-coach/

Bad move for both I you ask me. An owner like Snyder should have an experienced coach with the balls to tell him to butt out

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good news! Now Washington will continue to suck. Whiz will now probably go to Detroit.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And Snyder's legacy of suck continues.....

I wonder if RG2 signed off on this? :biglaugh:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
3 down (WASH, TB, Houston)
4 to go (DET, MN, TN, Cleveland)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news! Now Washington will continue to suck. Whiz will now probably go to Detroit.

I can't see Whisenhunt in Detroit.

Other than the talent at QB the job is likely not going to be that appealing to he and his family. Alice loves it out here in the West. Sun, family close by, etc. That's why San Diego was so appealing to them.

Detroit, as a city...a destination, is a wasteland these days, or at least that is the national impression.

If he ends up in a "cold weather" city as a head coach...my guess would be Tennessee. Nashville is a nice place and has great weather most of the year.

Even Minnesota - Minneapolis/St. Paul is great too except for the winters.

I just don't see him giving up San Diego for Detroit when all things are considered.

Just my two cents.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Other than the talent at QB the job is likely not going to be that appealing to he and his family. Alice loves it out here in the West. Sun, family close by, etc. That's why San Diego was so appealing to them.

Detroit, as a city...a destination, is a wasteland these days, or at least that is the national impression.

If he ends up in a "cold weather" city as a head coach...my guess would be Tennessee. Nashville is a nice place and has great weather most of the year.

I just don't see him giving up San Diego for Detroit when all things are considered.

Just my two cents.

All good points.

While Whiz may not take the job, it would be a good fit for him. He knows how to "change the culture" of an organization and the Lions need that.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Just my two cents.

Not sure he is in a position to be choosy and Detroit is the best team in terms of talent if you are looking to turn something around. He is weak without an established QB and Detroit offers the best QB of the available teams.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jay Gruden is probably a good choice. Bobby Griffin needs a guru. This now may assure that brother Jon takes one of the remaining jobs a la the Harbaugh brothers. Bad thing about Washington Braves taking Gruden is that his staff will be made up of castoffs and inexperience.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Just my two cents.

I wouldn't leave San Diego for Detroit either! But Stafford is the best QB among TN, MN, Cle and the position fits. DET has the most talent.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just my two cents.

750,000 a year compared to 3.5 million a year can be a big persuader.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

Yep, and he could always buy a house in Ann Arbor, Yipsilanti, and the surronding areas that are actually pretty nice.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Just my two cents.

Nobody associated with professional sport actually lives in Detroit.

Somehow, I think weather will be down the list of considerations.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

Yup! This past season, the Cardinals were still paying him $5 million for the final year on his contract. Now if he turns down a head coaching job, he will take a huge pay cut to just his SD OC pay.