Rep. Omar filed joint tax returns before she married husband

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Brian in Mesa, Jun 11, 2019 at 9:17 PM.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Rep. Omar filed joint tax returns before she married husband

https://www.apnews.com/b49ee5604ec2435a90945820b7c973eb

Minnesota campaign finance officials said last week that U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar misused campaign funds in violation of state rules. They also revealed that she had filed joint tax returns with her husband years before they were legally married and at a time when she was married to another man.

The revelation put the freshman representative under more scrutiny from critics who have taken issue with her marital past. One tax expert said that if there is no criminal intent and the issue has been corrected, she’s unlikely to face any criminal consequences.

Some questions and answers about the tax issue:

Q: What did Omar do wrong?

A: The Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board said Thursday that Omar and her husband, Ahmed Abdisalan Hirsi, filed joint tax returns for 2014 and 2015 — before they were actually married and while Omar was legally wed to another man. While some states allow for joint filing for “common law” marriages, Minnesota does not, and filing joint tax returns with someone who is not your legal spouse is against both federal and state law.

Q: Did Omar gain something by filing jointly?

A: It’s hard to say. In most situations, filing jointly may reduce taxes for married couples. But Eric Johnson, an attorney who practices tax law in St. Paul, Minnesota, said that’s not always the case and filing jointly might actually increase a tax bill for some.

Omar has so far kept her tax returns private. While she has called for President Donald Trump to release his tax returns, her campaign did not acknowledge the AP’s request to release hers. Her campaign also did not answer a question about whether there might be issues with other tax returns prior to Omar’s marriage to Hirsi in 2018.

2. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

If you are going to put yourself out front with your agenda, you'd best be sure you have a relatively clean closet. Dumb on her part. Even though it probably isn't a big deal legally, she probably just lost her next election. Hopefully, she will be "primaried" and the victor will win the election.

Don't get me wrong..... I don't have a particular problem with her other than she sometimes says things in a way that can be twisted. Also, remember tht AOC is an aberration.... Almost all first termers keep relatively quiet their first year or so while learning the ropes. Failure to do so, in most instances, results in nothing good.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019 at 9:29 PM
  3. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

Now GOPers care about Tax Returns. I wonder why...

4. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I have very little sympathy in things like that if you have any intent at all to run for public office you need to know this stuff. And with taxes, I mean if she did them herself with Turbo tax etc it literally asks you all the questions she'd need to know in order to determine can I file with him as my husband if he's not my husband.

Of course the reason the GOP is after this is they're still claiming she married her brother to gain some immigration advantage for him. There's no proof of that and the source of teh entire rumor is one anonymous post on a Somali message board that was deleted later but the GOP had already jumped on it. Her claim if you google is she married her husband in 2002, they didn't get a civil marriage they were married under her "Muslim faith". They separated in 2008 and divorced again under Muslim faith. in 2009 she married someone else, the one the GOP thinks is her brother, that didn't work out he left the US and she eventually petitioned for a divorce since he wasn't there to sign the documents. She officially wed her first husband in 2018.

So the tax dispute really comes down to was her Muslim faith marriage legal in the eyes of the US and the answer for her is unfortunately probably no. Minnesota doesn't have common law marriage either.

5. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Well this is just dumb on her part. And all the ins and outs of her marital life that Russ detailed just make her more of a target to the right.

No sympathy either - you go into politics, this is part and parcel. Also, don’t scream for Trumps returns if you’re not willing to put up.

6. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Yep, it is unfortunate she didn't disclose it because now it makes it seem very likely the reason she didn't want to show her returns is she was afraid this would come out.

7. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

selective outrage.

No articles about Trumps golf and celebrity hangout expenses?

This whole one sided, partisan, "Gotcha" culture of politics sucks IMO. Feeding into it doesnt help yourself or others.

8. Brian in Mesa

There have been threads about that and also a lengthy discussion on Trump's outrageous golf expenses (in a thread about his predecessor's golf expenses) and how he makes money off the rooms rented and food purchased at his hotels/resorts for these outings. It's a joke at our expense.

Here is my take on it (for all Presidents keen on golfing a lot)

9. BigRedRage

Sure.

I was more teetering on selective outrage that deems a new thread. I mean, this could go into another thread too but you decided it was worth its own highlight. It's petty, gotcha, neener neener political discussion.

10. Brian in Mesa

Personally, I don't care whether Rep. Ilhan Omar is a D or an R or an I. No one accidentally files taxes jointly with one person while still married to another person entirely. So there must have been an angle or a benefit in filing illegally. I doubt it was just to show how much she loved her new man. Very shady, IMHO.

11. BigRedRage

Your thread creation history in this forum clearly says otherwise but you can keep telling yourself that. It's all good.

All the things in this world going on and this is what people focus on.

There child molesters, perverts and more all throughout congress and this lady trying to cheat on her taxes gets a spotlight?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2019 at 10:00 AM
  12. Brian in Mesa

Whatever. I don't focus on politics much at all in my everyday life. No sense in it. Life is too short. Just saw this pop up on the AP and thought it fit this forum. I'm too busy working and then having fun in my off time to concern myself with what all of the elitists allegedly representing us are doing.

13. BigRedRage

lol yes. thats what it is.

14. DWKB

DWKB Registered

You should take your professed indifference/ignorance to its logical conclusion and, you know, stop voting.

ozzfloyd likes this.
  15. Brian in Mesa

Whatever, troll.