Regardless of what we do at #1.. The Cards have done a serious injustice to Rosen

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don't know how the Cardinals handled this - i.e. did they tell the truth? Did they operate with Josh's interests at hand? Did Josh act appropriately? Did both parties communicate clearly and truthfully?

Unless we were hiding in a closet, we don't know how things have gone down.

What we do know is that Josh got paid #10 money to play at an Intern level, and the Football Gods have now apparently positioned him where he may now be considered only a 2nd or 3rd round talent.

That's show biz.

It sounds like Josh understands that "it comes with the territory" and he'll do what it takes to make the best of a tough situation.

Meanwhile I'm more concerned about someone close to me who just "got fired yet again" than I do about the California Kid's job prospects

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Josh Rosen's Cards contract is $17.6 million. He already received an $11 million bonus. I don't feel sorry for him.

For some of these players, it’s not all about the money

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bpa is a catch 22. No one knows who the best player is until they have played some games in the NFL.
This! Let’s face it our “expert” opinions are mainly based on media and player rankings which are wrong 50% of the time. Hockenson may turn out to be the best player in the draft but if a team were to take him with the second or third picked they would be ripped to shreds by us experts. Until of course he turned into the next Gronk. Of course then the media and us experts would be bragging how they knew it all along. Lol.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got one for you, the Cardinals have already decided on drafting Murray and already have a trade partner for Rosen, which they are more than satisfied with. Both teams see no advantage to announce it now and Rosen is vaguely aware of this but knows it's best not to give it away for his new employer which he might not be fully aware of yet, because anything can happen to the said players till the draft but it's already in place... this is possible and something the NFL would endorse for ratings leading to the draft :)
Quite possible. We would tell said team it needs to be kept confidential or the trade is off. It would advantageous for all parties to be hush hush.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lol poor baby. Maybe they can go buy him some Dutch Bros and it will be ok.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Quite possible. We would tell said team it needs to be kept confidential or the trade is off. It would advantageous for all parties to be hush hush.

That may be so but in this day of blogs,soundbites, so-called insider info,speculation,gossip etc; you would think a whisper or two would have leaked out somewhere.One person is a secret.Two people know and its not a secret anymore.:shrug:

So far its been crickets.So maybe no smoke no fire.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rosen has not been affected by this. He has a total grasp of what’s going on and all the scenarios that could take place. It’s football reality. Montana, rice, Moss, were all traded. He’s a smart kid. I think he will deal with this just fine. In fact I think it will actually help him if he remains the Cards qb. For anybody saying it’s not right the cards are putting him through this, wouldn’t it have the total opposite effect if he is the starter? Wouldn’t that show how they are 100% behind him?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
this, more than anything else, is why i think it will be Murray

if you really believe you have your franchise QB, you dont leave your franchise QB twisting in the wind prior to the draft

for those saying "smokesreen!" -- The Cards could have all the benefit of generating trade up interest at #1 without expressing interest in Murray. the Cards could even say "IF we didnt have Josh Rosen, we would be all in on Murray at #1" --

i really doubt Rosen has been told much. The SI thing he did says that to me -- he was a pro, but also you can see the frustration. I really doubt that was some grand act on his part.

given the late date, i also believe that the parameters for a Rosen trade likely have been worked out

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There ain’t nobody nobody in a bidding war to move up and grab Murray. But dreaming is free I guess.
Rosen. Not Murray...and I don't care about bidding wars for Murray. He's going to the Cardinals anyhow. Since we are sure of things and all .

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I got one for you, the Cardinals have already decided on drafting Murray and already have a trade partner for Rosen, which they are more than satisfied with. Both teams see no advantage to announce it now and Rosen is vaguely aware of this but knows it's best not to give it away for his new employer which he might not be fully aware of yet, because anything can happen to the said players till the draft but it's already in place... this is possible and something the NFL would endorse for ratings leading to the draft :)
I mean it's fun going back and forth on here and all...but acting as if ANYTHING is a sure thing is craziness. Imo. Too many factors involved to have anything concrete. Just gotta keep bickering and having fun till Thursday. Lol

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There may be potential trade partners for Rosen but the key word is potential and we all know that could change on draft day. If a trade had actually been agreed upon IMO the acquiring team would not want him working out with the Cardinals but would want Rosen doing OTAs with them.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Cards are doing what they need to do.

The media is shamelessly doing what they always do.

Rosen is in the NFL and it isn't a hand holding affair. (so far he's handling it well)

Plus we don't even know if any of this is real. Hell we could have both Murray and Rosen on the team next year. Hell we could have neither.

Whatever the media or any of us feel doesn't matter. It's what the Keim/KK/MB feel is the right thing to do.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Totally disagree with the thread title...as most have eluded to, letting the media run wild has increased the value of the number one pick (even if only slightly) and if we do decide to trade, will most likely give us the best deal...

A lot of the critics of this "close to the vest tactic", would also be hypercritical of SK if we just announced a month ago that we were taking JB/QW.

This tact has increased our options and whether we disclosed the smokescreen tactic or not, JR needs to understand, even in the worst conditions (terrible line, clown show for a coaching staff, bad receivers, etc) this is a results-based business and no one's job is safe.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
It’s dumb to think the organization hasn’t talked to Rosen at least a little. It’s even dumber to think grown men making millions of dollars should be coddled and treated like an fragile egg. It’s a business everyone is a player away from being replaced. What ever they end up doing there shouldnt be any hard feelings.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don’t see the downside of the team publicly committing to Rosen and will gladly eat crow if some team trades up for Murray. You want to fully be behind your young franchise QB. I think Kliff wants Kyler and will get him.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s dumb to think the organization hasn’t talked to Rosen at least a little. It’s even dumber to think grown men making millions of dollars should be coddled and treated like an fragile egg. It’s a business everyone is a player away from being replaced. What ever they end up doing there shouldnt be any hard feelings.
Agree. But, there will always be some emotions involved.. and that's normal. Imo. It's all about how you handle it.... It's like a Drew Brees getting shipped off from NO. He would understand it's a business, but their would be the emotional side because of his ties to that city. Jmo

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t see the downside of the team publicly committing to Rosen and will gladly eat crow if some team trades up for Murray. You want to fully be behind your young franchise QB. I think Kliff wants Kyler and will get him.
The downside Gator is if we are committed to Rosen and we would rather trade down to address the many holes we have, the only way a team would make that move if they thought their chance to get Murray was in danger.

Let's say the Raiders want Murray (which very well may be the case)...the teams in front of the Raiders, Cards, 9ers, and the Jets all have a young "QBOF" on the roster. Murray SHOULD fall to the Raiders @4...SHOULD...unless another QB needy team jumps up -or- the Raiders think we are not in love with Rosen and we are going to move on...

Uncertainty is needed to "help" the Raiders do Raider "things"...

Publically committing to Rosen totally eliminates that possible outcome, personally, I would like to see this happen, I would be fine getting Q Williams and a late 1st rounder...but the only way that happens is if we keep our poker face on (even though we are sitting on pocket aces).

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The downside Gator is if we are committed to Rosen and we would rather trade down to address the many holes we have, the only way a team would make that move if they thought their chance to get Murray was in danger.

Let's say the Raiders want Murray (which very well may be the case)...the teams in front of the Raiders, Cards, 9ers, and the Jets all have a young "QBOF" on the roster. Murray SHOULD fall to the Raiders @4...SHOULD...unless another QB needy team jumps up -or- the Raiders think we are not in love with Rosen and we are going to move on...

Uncertainty is needed to "help" the Raiders do Raider "things"...

Publically committing to Rosen totally eliminates that possible outcome, personally, I would like to see this happen, I would be fine getting Q Williams and a late 1st rounder...but the only way that happens is if we keep our poker face on (even though we are sitting on pocket aces).

As soon as trade down talks got serious enough the Raiders would know the Cards weren’t taking Murray. Plenty of teams with high picks have been committed to QB’s and traded down before. If the Cards plan on drafting Murray then I won’t have a problem with the way they’ve handled it but if they keep Rosen I’ll say they should’ve handled it better.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
As soon as trade down talks got serious enough the Raiders would know the Cards weren’t taking Murray. Plenty of teams with high picks have been committed to QB’s and traded down before. If the Cards plan on drafting Murray then I won’t have a problem with the way they’ve handled it but if they keep Rosen I’ll say they should’ve handled it better.
I guess we will have to tune in and see what happens...

OP
OP
S

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Cards are doing what they need to do.

The media is shamelessly doing what they always do.

Rosen is in the NFL and it isn't a hand holding affair. (so far he's handling it well)

Plus we don't even know if any of this is real. Hell we could have both Murray and Rosen on the team next year. Hell we could have neither.

Whatever the media or any of us feel doesn't matter. It's what the Keim/KK/MB feel is the right thing to do.

I would put those odds at about 2 billion to one.

MartinD

Rookie
Reaction score
Happy Easter, everybody! While you're at church, I'm on the sports boards. It's a win-win.

I wouldn't like wondering where I was going to play, either, but I believe Rosen can handle it. He's not bad enough to think he'll be out of the league and he's not good enough to cope an attitude. I suspect he has a fair idea of what's going on. The Cardinals are trying to juggle an awkward situation. They like Murray better than Rosen, but not enough to turn down a boatload of draft picks if someone is eager enough to make that trade. If the offers aren't sweet enough to be worthwhile, Rosen goes away and Murray is The Man. If the offers flood in, Murray goes away and Rosen is The Man.

It's all business, and that's why Josh has been left twisting in the wind. The team won't promise they're going to keep him because they don't know yet if they will. Get the extra draft picks, patch enough holes, and Rosen has a shot at being a solid quarterback. Personally, I think that's Rosen's ceiling: a solid, middle-of-the-pack QB. Teams have won Super Bowls with guys like him.

I'm torn on Murray, too. He's either a superstar or a bust. If the team gets a bucket of picks for the #1, yeah, take the deal. Otherwise, I'd roll the dice and give him a shot.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I mean it's fun going back and forth on here and all...but acting as if ANYTHING is a sure thing is craziness. Imo. Too many factors involved to have anything concrete. Just gotta keep bickering and having fun till Thursday. Lol

If as Gator pointed out my take is not possible because Rosen has been going over the playbook with Kingsbury, then the answer must be we are not drafting Murray, but if this is because the coach and Front Office disagree and are undecided between Rosen and Murray, then after a full season with a QB, acquiring a new head coach knowing you at first had Rosen, and finally have had months to decide and still do not have an idea, means this Front Office has no clue how to judge talent or run a organization. That would be the laughable part and the craziness, and not my hypothesis. The only thing which would endorse the way the franchise is handling this is if they do not draft Murray while Rosen knows what's going on and part of this elaborate ruse. To think the Cardinals have no idea who they're selecting as their QB at this juncture would be an indictment of incompetence for this franchise. Draft day is going to reveal a lot about Keim's qualifications and Michael's qualifications on how to run a franchise... not by who they select, but how they went about selecting him

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
as most have eluded to, letting the media run wild

while i agree the media has run wild

the Cards have both very publicly worked out Murray, had him visit, and... the GM gave a lukewarm response as to the question of Josh's future

if this were pure smokescreen, at some point you have to affirm to your young QB that he is the guy - as much for him but also the message to the team. I think the timing for "at some point" was probably a few days ago at the latest

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score

the Cards have both very publicly worked out Murray, had him visit, and... the GM gave a lukewarm response as to the question of Josh's future

if this were pure smokescreen, at some point you have to affirm to your young QB that he is the guy - as much for him but also the message to the team. I think the timing for "at some point" was probably a few days ago at the latest
I agree with what you said, but if JR is as cerebral as everyone gives him credit for, it would be in our (and JR's best interest) to play along with the rouse...as long as the disclosed the plan to him at some point, I have no issue with it.

The real truth will be what comes of all of this...

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

How do we know that the team hasn`t given Rosen a private "you are our Qb" and asked him to play along with the ruse.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose