Recent games have exposed the Suns' Achilles Heel

Reaction score
Despite some wins, the loss to the Raptors and close games on the road trip have exposed the serious deficiencies in Suns' rebounding. The Raptors in one sequence got four shots (three rebounds---two from taps---and a foul). McGee is a great shot blocker, but no one is blocking off his man when he moves to block the shot. Ayton, one on one, is good, but needs serious blockout help. The Raptors crashed the boards big-time.

Add to that, the Raptors' height threw Booker, Bridges, and Landry off some of their shots. My guess is that other teams watching this will (to the extent they can) go big against us.

On the offensive end, teams have adjusted to the pick and roll drop to Ayton, but we are still seeing way too many three-point shots and not enough pullup midrange shots when the D drops back.

Monty tried a Bizzy/McGee combo to some degree of success in the 4th vs the Raptors, but even then we have zero offensive rebounding. It seems this is scheme---that Monty wants them back on D rather than crashing the glass. But most of the time, it's McGee by himself on the o-glass.

It is definitely something to be concerned about. Cam Johnson brings good one-on-one D, but no more offensive rebounding. I hope Monty finds some adjustments, because I think the team has been exposed by some pretty average competitors.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is not new at all. It's the reason the warriors beat us the last 2 times we played.

I don't really expect it to improve, but I think we should still be overcome it in a 7 game series as long as we are mostly healthy.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Despite some wins, the loss to the Raptors and close games on the road trip have exposed the serious deficiencies in Suns' rebounding. The Raptors in one sequence got four shots (three rebounds---two from taps---and a foul). McGee is a great shot blocker, but no one is blocking off his man when he moves to block the shot. Ayton, one on one, is good, but needs serious blockout help. The Raptors crashed the boards big-time.

Add to that, the Raptors' height threw Booker, Bridges, and Landry off some of their shots. My guess is that other teams watching this will (to the extent they can) go big against us.

On the offensive end, teams have adjusted to the pick and roll drop to Ayton, but we are still seeing way too many three-point shots and not enough pullup midrange shots when the D drops back.

Monty tried a Bizzy/McGee combo to some degree of success in the 4th vs the Raptors, but even then we have zero offensive rebounding. It seems this is scheme---that Monty wants them back on D rather than crashing the glass. But most of the time, it's McGee by himself on the o-glass.

It is definitely something to be concerned about. Cam Johnson brings good one-on-one D, but no more offensive rebounding. I hope Monty finds some adjustments, because I think the team has been exposed by some pretty average competitors.

It’s part of the game plan to get back on D. This is the nba where a full court pass can end in a score in less than 3 seconds.

Offensive rebounds come from people getting their own miss or long rebounds that dont typically go where they should.

Now losing the defensive rebounding game, that is another story. Guys are leaking out way too soon without securing the ball.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This is what I have been dooming and glooming about for a while now. We lose in only three situations usually.

1. We can't hit a three pointer to save our life.
2. Our opponent shoots an unconscious three point percentage.
3. We get dominated on the glass.

Usually it takes two of those three for us to lose and even then we sometimes overcome it with more possessions, but the scenario's are very clear to me.

Teams that could beat us.
1. Warriors. Poole is an absolute wild card but they probably need Draymond for a series. I think we are the underdog if both teams are healthy.
2. Clippers at full strength and playing really well. Probably not getting Kawhi back this year though.
3. Nets. They can absolutely beat anyone if healthy and playing well. If Kyrie plays at home, look out.
4. Sixers. Harden would need to play better than he has in the playoffs. We probably beat these guys.
5. Bucks. Need Lopez back but we have seen it. I don't see them coming out of the east again.

I just don't see anyone else having a shot unless we get hurt.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is what I have been dooming and glooming about for a while now. We lose in only three situations usually.

1. We can't hit a three pointer to save our life.
2. Our opponent shoots an unconscious three point percentage.
3. We get dominated on the glass.

Usually it takes two of those three for us to lose and even then we sometimes overcome it with more possessions, but the scenario's are very clear to me.

Teams that could beat us.
1. Warriors. Poole is an absolute wild card but they probably need Draymond for a series. I think we are the underdog if both teams are healthy.
2. Clippers at full strength and playing really well. Probably not getting Kawhi back this year though.
3. Nets. They can absolutely beat anyone if healthy and playing well. If Kyrie plays at home, look out.
4. Sixers. Harden would need to play better than he has in the playoffs. We probably beat these guys.
5. Bucks. Need Lopez back but we have seen it. I don't see them coming out of the east again.

I just don't see anyone else having a shot unless we get hurt.
The question isn't if team can beat us, the question is any of these teams can beat us FOUR OUT OF SEVEN TIMES.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The question isn't if team can beat us, the question is any of these teams can beat us FOUR OUT OF SEVEN TIMES.
I think if we're fully healthy we should be the favorites to win it all but I disagree that your list is all that could best us. And it's doubtful that we'll be fully healthy. Anyway, in addition to the teams you mentioned I'd add Utah, Memphis, Miami and Denver to name a few and personally they worry me at least as much as Philadelphia, Clippers or the Bucks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if we're fully healthy we should be the favorites to win it all but I disagree that your list is all that could best us. And it's doubtful that we'll be fully healthy. Anyway, in addition to the teams you mentioned I'd add Utah, Memphis, Miami and Denver to name a few and personally they worry me at least as much as Philadelphia, Clippers or the Bucks.

One of the things I think the Suns have going for them is that they never look ahead or take a team lightly.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Although tough to do. I think 3 of those 5 can beat us 4 out of 7 times.

When you have KD, Giannis, and Steph it is possible.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Although tough to do. I think 3 of those 5 can beat us 4 out of 7 times.

When you have KD, Giannis, and Steph it is possible.
If it weren't possible there would be no point in playing, and no interest in watching. I do believe it is very unlikely, especially since those guys are not playing on the same team and this Suns team is MILES better than last year.