Reality Check Time

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
After a successful bum of the week tour the Cards crashed back to grounded reality this last Sunday. I’m afraid that Thursday will be another bite of the same apple.

Starting with KK, I think we now know how he could have a high power offense and still lose all those games. Game management is usually the last skill ahead coach acquires. He’s not a certain failure at this point, but between the ego calls (flash plays when the base offense is moving the ball) and the lack of red zone impact plays, his success is not assured. I’m bothered by his game plan structure. Most coaches run plays to set up a big hit. It’s not just misdirection plays, things like running short crosses to draw the defense closer to the line and then blowing speed by them seem to be lacking. Every play seems a stand alone event, not part of an overall strategy. It’s one thing to take calculated risks yet another to make a reckless call like Sunday. The Cards may have lost anyway but a tough loss could have boosted morale. His strategy left the team broken. Finally he needs to stop ignoring proven strategies and use his creative plays integrated into a more balanced offense. Everything doesn’t have to be revised. Concepts like establishing the run, overloading a zone and using hot reads to beat blitzes work when properly executed.

Watching the RB situation was yet another example of how bad a GM Keim really is. As soon as DJ was injured a RB should have been added to the practice squad. I can’t remember the last time I saw a team have to put a skill player on the field who didn’t know the plays; a total embarrassment. He should have been fired last year if not earlier. This is the weakest roster Ive seen in many years (not counting tankers like the Fins).

There were a number of posts last week about how the O-line was coming along. It wasn’t. The competition just made it appear it was. They opened no holes on Sunday and frequently left Murray running for his health. This line will have to be totally rebuilt. It likely won’t happen in a year. Yet another example of SK not understanding the game. You don’t leave a huge investment like Murray exposed. He needed security more than weapons. What have the 3 WRs SK chose offered to Murray? You don’t build a house from the top down. I’m okay with the Murray gamble; he’s a talent. Thinking his greatest need were players he could win with was illusionary. Keim always thinks his teams are closer than they are.

Then there was the theory that the secondary would be greatly improved with Peterson back. It wasn’t. It was a little better but most quality NFL teams can scheme against one corner. There’s just too little developed talent. The Thompsons have a chance to be decent. Baker at least showed flashes of coming to play but he was never going to be another TM. Murphy looks decent but like any young corner is vulnerable. This unit has a chance but needs at least the rest of this season and some quality coaching to be effective. At least they won’t take up numerous draft choices for replacement

Jones is an exceptional rusher but he will need help. They need a better anchor centering the D-line who can also collapse the pocket. Hicks is getting better zone drops, but they need more help in the middle.

I think DJ & Edmonds are good enough to win. However, as I noted before I think Edmonds is better as a change of pace and third down back. Split out DJ on third down and use Edmonds as a safety valve. That will create needed matchup problems for defenders.

Don’t write off the 2 active rookie WRs. It usually takes year two before most WRs make an impact. Despite denying it, a productive TE would help.

Special teams look good.

Overall I’d start getting Murray some security but the personnel is just too thin. That’s why I say 2 years before this team competes for the playoffs.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Petersons suspension attributed to a couple losses and injuries in the Saints game did also. Not much you can do about those. I dont believe this team is too far away from competing for a playoff spot. Bad luck has other ideas though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Petersons suspension attributed to a couple losses and injuries in the Saints game did also. Not much you can do about those. I dont believe this team is too far away from competing for a playoff spot. Bad luck has other ideas though.

every team has injuries. People wrote off the entire Colts season when Luck went down; They're 5-2.

The Saints have been without one of the best QB/RB combos in the league, their QB for 6 games... and they're 7-1.

Why have they been able to do that? Good coaching and enough depth on the team to deal with injuries/suspensions that happen to every team in the league.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What did the Niners do this off season to turn them around from the league's second worst last year to a top 2-3-4 team this year? It couldn't just be Bosa? Something else? What's different from last year?

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
every team has injuries. People wrote off the entire Colts season when Luck went down; They're 5-2.

The Saints have been without one of the best QB/RB combos in the league, their QB for 6 games... and they're 7-1.

Why have they been able to do that? Good coaching and enough depth on the team to deal with injuries/suspensions that happen to every team in the league.
How many RBs can you have on your roster? The Cards have 3 that are injured. I agree we are thin at some positions but at one point in the game we had a guy off the street who had to be told by Murray where to line up at RB. At that point we had zero RBs. You cant win games being one dimensional. Again, not Keims fault all of our RBs are injured.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What did the Niners do this off season to turn them around from the league's second worst last year to a top 2-3-4 team this year? It couldn't just be Bosa? Something else? What's different from last year?
Uh for starters they got their starting QB back. Kinda a big deal. Also signed tevin Coleman, traded for a passrusher and then also drafted bosa. So they have a lot of changes.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
What did the Niners do this off season to turn them around from the league's second worst last year to a top 2-3-4 team this year?

adding to what others said above: they have a variety of young players who have taken a step up: Athkello (sp?) Witherspoon is an example. Played like a young DB his first year or two. Now playing at a pretty solid level.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Niners have built both sides of the lines solidly. We have a loooong ways to go there. Even the LB core is far from being set, imo. Still way too many holes to fill. Shame they couldn't get Williams from NYJ. He would've helped.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The point you made about Keim not having a RB learning the system, the second DJ went down...Speaks volumes...In fact, I think it's crazy to not have a PS RB in the stable when you carry only 3 on the roster...Second only to carrying 2 QB's on the active... with no PS QB.

Keim is reactive...not proactive...That coupled with his chitty drafting is more than enough reason to can him after this year.

We won't...But IMO We 100% should.

Too many of us were complaisant with Keim, because he followed up the human snail.
Being 1% better than total crap, is not a reason to celebrate.

He surely hasn't done enough to forgive his lack of judgment when it comes to an NFL franchise... Let alone his egregious carelessness when human lives are at stake.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were brutally injured last year too.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The point you made about Keim not having a RB learning the system, the second DJ went down...Speaks volumes...In fact, I think it's crazy to not have a PS RB in the stable when you carry only 3 on the roster...Second only to carrying 2 QB's on the active... with no PS QB.

Keim is reactive...not proactive...That coupled with his chitty drafting is more than enough reason to can him after this year.

Too many of us were complaisant with Keim, because he followed up the human snail.

He surely hasn't done enough to forgive his lack of judgment when it comes to an NFL franchise... Let alone his egregious carelessness when human lives are at stake.
This. Prior to the Giants game when he knew DJ Foster wasn't going to play and that David Johnson was dinged up, he should have been adding bodies.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Yep. Agreed with this entire post.

Keim already had an injury at the beginning of the season that showed his shortsightedness. He traded away Cunningham, and surprise surprise, the guy he knew was extremely injury prone goes on IR and he doesn't have a backup. How we didn't have a practice squad RB is beyond me in this scenario. Get someone or anyone that can at least go out there and know where to line up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson