Ready for George Karl?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Where is this guy now? Why hasn't Jerry called him. I'm tired of low level coaching. Other than Fitz, its been a try out...

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
George's style will not work here. Didn't he try to slow down the Bucks???

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I still want Chuck Daly. Sure, he's retired and hasn't coached in however many years, but the same was true about Hubie Brown. Heh, and Jack McKeon.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
I still want Chuck Daly. Sure, he's retired and hasn't coached in however many years, but the same was true about Hubie Brown. Heh, and Jack McKeon.

I don't think Chuck Daly would come to coach any team with Penny Hardaway on it.

Joe Mama

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
heh. Totally, on the Chuck Daly/Penny Hardaway note...

As to Karl, he might have slowed down the Bucks, but for all the pomp and circumstance, we aint much of a running team anyway. Ironically, our one true strangth right now, is in our big guys banging down low. Maybe its time for a shift in philosophy.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by schutd
heh. Totally, on the Chuck Daly/Penny Hardaway note...

As to Karl, he might have slowed down the Bucks, but for all the pomp and circumstance, we aint much of a running team anyway. Ironically, our one true strangth right now, is in our big guys banging down low. Maybe its time for a shift in philosophy.

I like that Idea, but I don't think Marbury would like that to much. Marbury seams to be shooting alott more this year.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Marbury would be open to ANY plan that offers the team more chances at winning and thus increases his chances of getting a ring....

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I think Marbury would be open to ANY plan that offers the team more chances at winning and thus increases his chances of getting a ring....

Not so sure right now he runs the team, he has free rain to shoot any time he wants and doesn't realy seam like he is looking to pass much right now.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont get to see the games much, so Ill defer to you on that, but I DO notice that his assists seem way down this year. Is that cause he's looking to shoot more? Or is it because his teammates are shooting poorly, or a combination of both?

Whatever the deal is, if like last night, Marbury is only getting 6 assists per game, I think we are screwed.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I dont get to see the games much, so Ill defer to you on that, but I DO notice that his assists seem way down this year. Is that cause he's looking to shoot more? Or is it because his teammates are shooting poorly, or a combination of both?

Whatever the deal is, if like last night, Marbury is only getting 6 assists per game, I think we are screwed.

I have only missed one game this year and so far I have noticed a big change from last year with Marbury he is very quick to shoot the jumper coming down the court and off the dribble from above the free throw line, I also noticed he is waving off Amare allot and working with White and Voskul more on the pick and rolls not sure what that is about, it just doesn't seam like Amare and Marbury are work as well together this year. Could be from Amare taking way to many jumpers as well ???

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

It doesn't look to me that Marbury is going to the basket nearly as much, and that's how he gets the bulk of his assists. I think that the NBA took notice of the playoff series with the Spurs and that generally there is a strategic move to play off of Marbury a bit more. And since none of the Suns move without the ball, it's even harder for him to find someone to pass to.

I don't think Marbury is taking more bad shots than last year. He is shooting more 18-footers, but in my opinion, he has to, because that's what the defense is giving him. You simply cannot be an offensive threat in the NBA if you aren't able and willing to knock down an open 18-footer (unless you have an overpowering physique, like O'Neal). You have to prove to the defense that you need to be guarded out there, and then that opens up the floor.

The Suns' problem for the last several years has been that they just aren't a very good shooting team from medium-to-long range. Eventually defenses figure that out. They play off of the slashers, clog the middle, go to zone. If the Suns can't make open 18-foot shots, they are going to lose. But, in Marbury's defense, if he can make the shots, he has to take them -- even if he's the "point guard" and someone is going to say that it's "selfish" for him to do so.

Just to clarify, I do see Marbury take bad shots once in a while too, but it seems to be with about the same frequency as last year.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Good point the rest of the team is not moving around and just waiting for the ball.... they also are not trying to rebound the ball after he shoots so not to sure if it is bad coaching or they just don't know when Marbury is going to shoot the ball ???

scotsman13

Reaction score
george karl wouldnt be a good fit for this team. the biggest reason why is that he isnt a good teacher. there never has been a player that has truely developed under him. kemp never because a great player under him. all of paytons skills were already there. and ray allen is almost the player he was when he came into the nba.

NDSunsfan

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, Marbury averaged 8.1 APG last year and this year through 7 games he's 7.6 APG.

I agree with Eric, he's taking more jumpers because it seems like he's got to, because everyone else is standing around doing nothing. And if someone on this team is going to shoot 18 footers, I'd just as soon it be him.

Errntknght

Reaction score
George Karl wouldn't be high on my list to replace Frank... he was terrible last year and I think he needs a full year away from coaching - at the very least. I'm speaking theoretically, of course, because it's not conceiveable that the C's would hire an experienced coach with a touch of independence. They'd rather stumble along with a guy that is firmly in their pocket than win with a coach who might be considered the essential ingredient in the mix. Besides, Jerry knows full well that any idiot can coach in the NBA because he's done it!

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Not that I actually expect anything to change with our coaching this year, but what if Doc Rivers resigns/quits?

He will fetch a good salary, so he is most likely out of the question.

Most likely, if Frank were to get fired the promotion would come from within as always. That would leave Iavaroni and D'Antoni as the most probable replacements. (Never hear anything about Weber, I forgot he was a coach, and Tim is an assistant through and through)

Out of the 2 it would be nice to see a big man coach like Marc. However, D'Antoni already has experience as a head coach here and overseas.

Last point, IMO the blame on the poor offense is on Weber and D'Antoni. They are the 2 coaches who are outside of the huddle making plays during a time out. Now whether or not they are doing the best they can with Franks ridiculous subsitition patterns is something I cannot figure out.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Thecracker wrote, "Last point, IMO the blame on the poor offense is on Weber and D'Antoni. They are the 2 coaches who are outside of the huddle making plays during a time out. Now whether or not they are doing the best they can with Franks ridiculous subsitition patterns is something I cannot figure out."

The plays called during time outs constitute about 10% of the offense, besides which they are within the context of the overall offense so you can't blame the two assistants for a significant amount of the problems of the offense. Not to mention the fact that the head coach ought to recognize it and fix it if his assistants are falling down on the job.

I suppose you could say poor Frank didn't get to pick his own assistants but lets face it, he wasn't ready for the job and probably would never be consideed for a head coaching job for any other team. The C's virtually ackknowledged his unreadiness when they insisted on hiring his assistants for him.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Let's face it....Bryan goofed big time. When were there so many top level coaches available over any summer? They should have made the move this year. Anyone of quality has long been taken and wrapped up in a long term contract.

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
I don't think Chuck Daly would mind coaching the suns. Im sure both him and Penny are mature enough to settle their differences. Its also a common misconception taht Penny drove him from coaching. He did coach the year after Penny left.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by minercon
Let's face it....Bryan goofed big time. When were there so many top level coaches available over any summer? They should have made the move this year. Anyone of quality has long been taken and wrapped up in a long term contract.

I think it probably would have pissed off most of the players and many of the fans (not many on this message board) if the Phoenix Suns had replaced Frank Johnson after a surprisingly successful season. It might have been a good move. I doubt it would have been a popular one however.

Has Doc Rivers really done anything? Frankly I don't see him as much of an improvement over Frank Johnson, and he's going to cost a lot of money.

Aren't there any top assistants from other perennial success is available?

Joe Mama

Errntknght

Reaction score
If the Suns do replace FJ... okay when the C's wake up and dump him it will almost certainly be one of Iavaroni or d'Antoni. I'm sure they'll figure out which is worse and pick him. I suppose d'Antoni has an edge since he's a former guard. Frankly, I don't have any idea whether either of them is worth anything. Hey, I know what I'd do to choose: ask Frank which is better and then go with the other one!

It's too bad BC is familly... picking Skiles then FJ as the head coach would get him fired anyplace he was evaluated on his performance. Of course, he'd never have gotten the job in the first place...

It's at times like this it is the most excruciating to be a Suns fan... you have to just sit there and wait, knowing management is going to continue their tradition of picking useless head coaches. I guess our only hope is that the league will someday realize that the Colangelo's are screwing up an otherwise nice franchise and step in and give them a list of three coaches they have to pick among.