Rattlers; End of an era.

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
from the Republic....

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/1027rattlers1027.html

"The Rattlers parted ways with longtime quarterback Sherdrick Bonner and made former Austin Wranglers quarterback Lang Campbell their first pick of the Arena Football League's dispersal draft Friday.

Bonner, who had played for the Rattlers since 1993, plans to sign a free-agent contract with the Chicago Rush, Rattlers coach Kevin Guy said....."

For long time Rattler fans this is truly the end of an era. I'm not sure what Rattler football will be like without Sed, he has held the rudder for such a long time, he will be missed and we will truly have a new look when the season opens.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I'm sad that Bonner is leaving, your thread title scared the crap out of me! I thought you were saying the Rattlers were no more!

OP
OP
A

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Linder, didn't mean to cause panic. :)

If they disbanned the Rattlers I would not be capable of coherent typing so the title thing would not be an issue, but certainly will be more careful in the future.

Quite honestly although I too am very sad to see Bonner go---especially to another team, I am excited to see what the new guy brings to the table and am looking forward to the season.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah--I've never been to a Rattler's game...I want to go SO badly. Need to find me a man!!

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
You've been to a Sting game, but haven't gone to a Rattlers game yet? I need to get to more myself. The franchise was close to folding last year or the year before, but I'm so glad that they are still here.

Bonner is probably my second favorite Arizona sports athlete of all time behind Randy Johnson. He has been arguable the best quarterback the league has seen and I will miss him. I understand why they made the choice to go with a much younger QB who just came off a nice season, but it really saddens me that Bonner will not retire as a Rattler. Maybe they'll bring him back as a coach if Danny White doesn't steal more players/staff from us. :(

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to watch a lot of games on TV, but at that time I flat out could not afford to go. We're talking supporting a family of 5 on $10/hour. Not a good time for me. Then life just got too busy, and I didn't watch it at all for awhile. Now that I'm back to just being ME, I'm making it a point to do some of the things I've always wanted to do. Trust me, I will make it to AT LEAST one game this season. It will happen. :)

I am sad about Bonner, too. I loved to watch him play (back when I did watch!) He was just flat out exciting. New blood will be good, but I hope he knows that he will be sorely missed. Have we retired any numbers yet? If no, his should be the first.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, Chicago. Now I can ignore him as he plays closer to home.

hey-o!!

OP
OP
A

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
I used to watch a lot of games on TV, but at that time I flat out could not afford to go. We're talking supporting a family of 5 on $10/hour. Not a good time for me. Then life just got too busy, and I didn't watch it at all for awhile. Now that I'm back to just being ME, I'm making it a point to do some of the things I've always wanted to do. Trust me, I will make it to AT LEAST one game this season. It will happen. :)

I am sad about Bonner, too. I loved to watch him play (back when I did watch!) He was just flat out exciting. New blood will be good, but I hope he knows that he will be sorely missed. Have we retired any numbers yet? If no, his should be the first.

Hunkie's number was retired the year before he went to coach in Utah, it still brings a tear to my eye to see it hanging there during the home games. There is no doubt that when the time comes, he may not want it retired if he is still playing, that Sed's number will be hanging up there too.

Bonner is Rattlers football, he was without a doubt amazing on the field as well as a gentleman off the field. My oldest daughter has had a serious crush on him since she was 8--she asked him a football question and he called her ma'am, she's 22 now. We haven't been at a game yet where she hasn't waited afterward to speak with him and he as ALWAYS, win or lose taken the time to say hi to her. Such a little thing for him to do that has meant a lot to her.