Rare that I get one this right on when to buy or sell

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided last week that if the Dow got any closer to 14K I was going to pull back some.

I pulled some out on Friday from stocks to cash both selling out of ZNGA, HPQ and 2 stock funds. I actually sold ZNGA a week earlier bought it just over made about 15% and sold(held it way longer than I wanted to). I made about 10% in HPQ again held it way too long to make the profit as in I bought too high.

DOW sold off huge today so very glad I pulled out of the stock funds into cash I saved about 5 K in my IRA today by doing so. ZNGA went back up but still it's below what I sold at.

With all the sequestration stuff going on I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Dow falls back into the 12's.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Decided last week that if the Dow got any closer to 14K I was going to pull back some.

I pulled some out on Friday from stocks to cash both selling out of ZNGA, HPQ and 2 stock funds. I actually sold ZNGA a week earlier bought it just over made about 15% and sold(held it way longer than I wanted to). I made about 10% in HPQ again held it way too long to make the profit as in I bought too high.

DOW sold off huge today so very glad I pulled out of the stock funds into cash I saved about 5 K in my IRA today by doing so. ZNGA went back up but still it's below what I sold at.

With all the sequestration stuff going on I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Dow falls back into the 12's.

You spoke too soon.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You spoke too soon.

Yeah 3 straight up days since then although it turned down end of day today.

Still think if the government doesn't solve this tax stuff soon we're going to fall under 13K on the DOW.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely missed the high now, Dow hit an all time high today smashing the 2007 record.

Still if I hadn't gone more cash then I would have now. In fact i still am now.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Still think if the government doesn't solve this tax stuff soon we're going to fall under 13K on the DOW.

Nah, there's always trepidation when the Dow hits a new high, but I think it toys w/ 14500-15k over the next year or so before a drop back.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, there's always trepidation when the Dow hits a new high, but I think it toys w/ 14500-15k over the next year or so before a drop back.

Any belief I had that I knew what I was talking about has gone to the wayside in the last 3 days.

:D

I'm about 80-90% cash now and would be near 100 if I didn't still need FB to go up a bit before I can see without taking a loss.

I see absolutely no reason why the DOW is still going up, but it is so clearly i was wrong on that call.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could hit 14,500 today, the jobs report was quite good, better than expected news on jobs and the economy.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Dow is closing in on 15000 and the S&P on 1600.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dow is closing in on 15000 and the S&P on 1600.

Yep, talk about karma. I did have my simple IRA from work still in the market so I made some money on that one but I missed out on about the last 700 points of the rally(Dow) in my 2 main IRA's.

Pretty remarkable I have no idea why it's still up.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ,

What are you in right now for your fixed income?

I'm keeping most of my fixed income in actively managed bond ETF's. I don't think it's smart to be tied to some bond index right now. I'm using MINT for my short term emergency funds and BOND which is PIMCO's Total Return ETF, managed by Bill Gross.

On the passive managed front, I'm using JNK for some higher yield (but watching closely) and Vanguard's ultrashort term BSV which I have been phasing out of. I took half of my BSV position and bought SDY. I think it's a good bet with everyone moving into dividend paying stocks looking for higher yields.

I'm of the mind that the market is going to finish the year strong. There is just really no where else to be right now with interest rates so low, gold tanking, and problems in Europe.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ,

What are you in right now for your fixed income?

I'm keeping most of my fixed income in actively managed bond ETF's. I don't think it's smart to be tied to some bond index right now. I'm using MINT for my short term emergency funds and BOND which is PIMCO's Total Return ETF, managed by Bill Gross.

On the passive managed front, I'm using JNK for some higher yield (but watching closely) and Vanguard's ultrashort term BSV which I have been phasing out of. I took half of my BSV position and bought SDY. I think it's a good bet with everyone moving into dividend paying stocks looking for higher yields.

I'm of the mind that the market is going to finish the year strong. There is just really no where else to be right now with interest rates so low, gold tanking, and problems in Europe.

I'm essentially in cash just a money market that pays a very low interest.

I had planned to sit out another few weeks and watch the market. Today obviously is connected to the Boston Marathon tragedy so can't draw much from that for the market long term and what a horrible act that was.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose