Raptors @ Suns Tuesday scrimmage game 7-28-20

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Yeah, and that video it is mentioned that he is literally jumping for the first time since his injury!

Again, he had every excuse to NOT be in the bubble, he is there 100% voluntarily. He could be still eating whatever he wants, going where he pleases and seeing family friends and hot babes... instead he decided to lock himself in a hotel with his teammates for months. I have zero question about Oubre's desire to stick with the team.

He’s a great guy and teammate. No one’s saying otherwise. he suffered an injury that normally has an 8-week recovery window in late February, but he’s not ready to play? It’s now August. I get shelter-in-place hasn’t helped his recovery, but we’ve seen video of him in early May being able to do normal basketball moves. I just dont buy that he’s not able to play. Whether this is an Oubre thing or a Suns thing, I dont care. Something seems fishy.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, if the cap shrinks (or doesn't grow) we won't have much cap space and it won't matter how good the class is. Unless the big contract players agree to have their salaries scaled back along with the shrinking cap, I don't see how teams are going to have space to make big splashes.
I'm not sure I understand--if there are a lot of big contract players in 2021 (which there is), they are definitely going to have to scale back. That's just the way the market works. It's not like the shrinking cap affects just the Suns. It teams don't make big splashes, you think the free agents are just going to sit out the season?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If money is tight in free agency look for players to sign 1 year contracts. If the salary cap doesn't shrink the Suns are still a player with about $20 million. The Suns might be better off absorbing contracts from other teams in a trade and getting assets in return.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand--if there are a lot of big contract players in 2021 (which there is), they are definitely going to have to scale back. That's just the way the market works. It's not like the shrinking cap affects just the Suns. It teams don't make big splashes, you think the free agents are just going to sit out the season?
No, I think teams will have an easy time retaining their talent because they can exceed the soft cap with bird rights. Also, a some guys are going to get way less than they otherwise would have.

The league might workout something with the players to avoid the cap cratering the next 2 off seasons and then spiking the couple years after, but under the current agreement the cap in the summer of 21 will likely be significantly lower than it is right now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I suppose if you are so married to how poorly the Suns are run, you can continue to bemoan layoffs as something that is distinctly Suns-like. I just don’t think the Suns are in some negativity bubble unlike the rest of the league like so many in this board do.

They need a lot of improvement as a team and a front office, but we can’t continually blame every single thing on Sarver being an idiot. And I’m certainly not holding out the slim hope that he’s preparing to sell the team. That would be great but nothing in Sarver past and certainly in the current climate would suggest he is exploring it.

I also think it’s a mistake to assume every big name free agent will want to stay with their old team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s a great guy and teammate. No one’s saying otherwise. he suffered an injury that normally has an 8-week recovery window in late February, but he’s not ready to play? It’s now August. I get shelter-in-place hasn’t helped his recovery, but we’ve seen video of him in early May being able to do normal basketball moves. I just dont buy that he’s not able to play. Whether this is an Oubre thing or a Suns thing, I dont care. Something seems fishy.

There are 2 methods to deal with meniscus injuries. One, they basically remove it, it allows guys to come back in a month or 2, this is what Bledsoe did in 2014, he missed 2 months. Oubre's was repaired, not removed. The rehab for that route is much longer. Bledsoe went the longer recovery when he hurt his other knee in the 2016 season, he injured his knee in December and he missed the rest of the year.

There is NOTHING strange about Oubre's situation. Absolutely nothing. And again, that he is in the bubble voluntarily should remove any doubt about his urge to stick around.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suppose if you are so married to how poorly the Suns are run, you can continue to bemoan layoffs as something that is distinctly Suns-like. I just don’t think the Suns are in some negativity bubble unlike the rest of the league like so many in this board do.

They need a lot of improvement as a team and a front office, but we can’t continually blame every single thing on Sarver being an idiot. And I’m certainly not holding out the slim hope that he’s preparing to sell the team. That would be great but nothing in Sarver past and certainly in the current climate would suggest he is exploring it.

I also think it’s a mistake to assume every big name free agent will want to stay with their old team.
What I am saying is not specific to the Suns, this will be an issue across the league.

If the cap space doesn't exist then it won't matter where players prefer to go. I think mainstreet is right, if the players don't work something out with the league to keep the cap from cratering we will see a lot of one year contracts as players wait for the revenue to return.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA