Raptors @ Suns Monday game thread 1-30-2023

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why is it that the a few of the most outspoken Mikal critics are also the biggest Ayton supporters? Why is it when DA goes for 21 points all in the first quarter, it's the team's fault that he doesn't score again but with Bridges it's because he completely disappeared? Never mind that he had a couple of crucial late game baskets that helped stop Toronto's momentum and put us back up by 3.

Bridges isn't a "legit option" if by that you mean the kind of scorer that can be counted on to carry the offense when the defense decides to take him out of the scoring. To shut Booker down you usually need to have a strong defender on him with 2 or 3 help defenders hovering. To shut Bridges down, all you need is a strong defender with maybe one help defender hovering. To shut Ayton down, all you need to do is wait and he'll shut himself down.

Why you so mad when someone points out flaws in Bridges? Did I say anything about Ayton? Anything at all? Nope.

Bridges is crazy inconsistent and it’s pretty obvious by now

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That he’s a CLOSER.

I’d value that 100x more. The game got close in the second half
That makes no sense unless you are looking through the bubble of the final quarter. Without his points you wouldn't have the opportunity to close. It's shortsighted.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why you so mad when someone points out flaws in Bridges? Did I say anything about Ayton? Anything at all? Nope.

Bridges is crazy inconsistent and it’s pretty obvious by now
You're projecting, I'm not in the least bit mad. You posted, I responded. And with valid questions and comments.

Neither player is perfect but you act like it's Mikal pointing out the faults of your favorite player.

DA will ALWAYS be held to a higher standard because of where he was drafted. And even when he puts up good numbeers he will ALWAYS be nitpicked for his flaws because they mostly seem effort related (even if they're not). And this year, with DA playing even less defense than he has in the past, he's drawing even more critics. Some definitely go overboard but he deserves much of the criticism he draws.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're projecting, I'm not in the least bit mad. You posted, I responded. And with valid questions and comments.

Neither player is perfect but you act like it's Mikal pointing out the faults of your favorite player.

DA will ALWAYS be held to a higher standard because of where he was drafted. And even when he puts up good numbeers he will ALWAYS be nitpicked for his flaws because they mostly seem effort related (even if they're not). And this year, with DA playing even less defense than he has in the past, he's drawing even more critics. Some definitely go overboard but he deserves much of the criticism he draws.
So much this. He was the #1 overall pick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So much this. He was the #1 overall pick.
And is now making MAX money.

And talks about his own game like he’s the second coming.

All of those factors make him a bigger lightning rod than Bridges, who still gets a lot of criticism of his own.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges is a complementary player. When Book comes back he will step back into his old role.

I sort of view Mikal Bridges as serving a Chris Middleton role for the Suns.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I’m not projecting anything. You got super defensive

DA ain’t my favorite player at all. I’m very critical of him but I also know what he is at this point do I don’t scream and shout when he’s not something else.

I’ve said over abs over it’s not a coincidence that DA abs Mikal are both super inconsistent. They’ve been developed that way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges is a complementary player. When Book comes back he will step back into his old role.
Then this team is f’ed because it needs another scorer/playmaker if it has any chance to ever win a title. If Bridges CAN do this, that is the difference between being one and done in the playoffs and actually having a shot at the title.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Then this team is f’ed because it needs another scorer/playmaker if it has any chance to ever win a title. If Bridges CAN do this, that is the difference between being one and done in the playoffs and actually having a shot at the title.
Beat me to it. We need 1 or 2 more players that can create shots for themselves and others. Then this team will open up and the opposition will have to guard us straight up.
Booker will always pull double teams Its about damn time we start making teams pay for that crap.
Get me a PF that can do this and a serviceable backup PG and no team will beat us in a 7 game series.
I feel like we have needed the same 2 parts for 5 years now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beat me to it. We need 1 or 2 more players that can create shots for themselves and others. Then this team will open up and the opposition will have to guard us straight up.
Booker will always pull double teams Its about damn time we start making teams pay for that crap.
Get me a PF that can do this and a serviceable backup PG and no team will beat us in a 7 game series.
I feel like we have needed the same 2 parts for 5 years now.
It’s definitely been the same issue ever since we got CP3. Another shot creator and a big body at PF. And we’ve never gone after or been successful going after either one. It’s frustrating.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That he’s a CLOSER.

I’d value that 100x more. The game got close in the second half
Or Suns behind by 20.

Points are points. Points in the opening minute count the same as in the final minutes.

Suns have a closer (two actually). CP3 tends to get off to a slow start. Having one or more players that start hot is a great balance to that.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or Suns behind by 20.

Points are points. Points in the opening minute count the same as in the final minutes.

Suns have a closer (two actually). CP3 tends to get off to a slow start. Having one or more players that start hot is a great balance to that.

His 4th quarter clutch stats are absolute trash this year. Those days are long gone

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Bridges has the athletic ability and defensive basics to become a Pippen or Butler type of two-way players. It's first time in career he is given the chance to work on this aspect of his game, during the heavy injury period. After initial "failure", he's been improving fast on the learning curve, and become both efficient and clutch in that role. I'm confident he will only get better and be the force we missed in last two years' playoff runs.
Also, DA seemed very motivated in this Raptors game with great contribution to the win. He'll have his technical flaws, but as long as he can be motivated and engaged like this, our best chance this year remains on keeping this core with upgrade on the starting PF position.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges has the athletic ability and defensive basics to become a Pippen or Butler type of two-way players. It's first time in career he is given the chance to work on this aspect of his game, during the heavy injury period. After initial "failure", he's been improving fast on the learning curve, and become both efficient and clutch in that role. I'm confident he will only get better and be the force we missed in last two years' playoff runs.
Also, DA seemed very motivated in this Raptors game with great contribution to the win. He'll have his technical flaws, but as long as he can be motivated and engaged like this, our best chance this year remains on keeping this core with upgrade on the starting PF position.
Mikal is one of my favorite players but I think we're better off not needing him to be a primary scorer. And I think the upgrade for the starting PF position is going to have to come from within, namely CamJ. I agree with Eddie who suggested that Cam's performance last night was the result of tired legs from his return from injury.

The Cam we saw prior to that game was better than half the starting PF's in the game and nobody is parting with those guys. When he's back to game speed, it will all depend on DA. Ayton when motivated gives us a solid front court. Even then we're still in need of a good backup PF. Saric gets exploited at the 4 even more than Jock does so ideally we'd save Landale for 3rd string PF and Dario as our 3rd string Center.

Anyway, get us healthy, add a Jae Crowder type forward and we're in the mix with the top teams. Even now, with so many players returning to the court for us, we're still minus our best player (Booker) and arguably our first 3 players off the bench (counting Jae). That's a lot to make up for when it's for more than a few games and we've been dealing with that and much worse for most of the season.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
We don't need Mikal to be the primary goto guy once Book is back, but we need the potential of a reliable Mikal when called upon. In the playoffs, the teams will find a way to shut down your 1st and 2nd options. We saw Mikal drives successful early when that happened, but fast losing confidence and effectiveness, once the defence paid close attention to him. In the last two weeks, he seems more aware with the dynamic changes of spacing around his driving paths and take advantage with confidence.
As to CamJ, I like his improved defense and all, but team may be better off using him as the first and main scorer off bench to keep balance. At starting PF, slight upgrade from Craig is all that's needed.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't need Mikal to be the primary goto guy once Book is back, but we need the potential of a reliable Mikal when called upon. In the playoffs, the teams will find a way to shut down your 1st and 2nd options. We saw Mikal drives successful early when that happened, but fast losing confidence and effectiveness, once the defence paid close attention to him. In the last two weeks, he seems more aware with the dynamic changes of spacing around his driving paths and take advantage with confidence.
As to CamJ, I like his improved defense and all, but team may be better off using him as the first and main scorer off bench to keep balance. At starting PF, slight upgrade from Craig is all that's needed.
I think there's some misunderstanding here. I don't believe Mikal is in any way capable of being the primary scorer, he might be able to be the next guy up but I think that's expecting too much from a guy who needs to guard the best players every game. And I'd rather use Craig as a backup to Mikal. I'd be all for an upgrade at the 4 and moving Cam to the backup, I don't believe we're going to like any of the options though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose