Raiders game----my take

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Well, here goes---------after being absent for more than a year this is what I saw last night.

I liked the entire team effort overall, (with the exception of the defensive lapse at the end of the half). I was very disappointed that this team still has mental and emotional lapses like that. That can't happen in regular season if this team expects to be very good. That lack of 'want to' gave away a field goal just before half, and because the Raiders had back to back possessions due of the second half choice, they quickly scored a touchdown in the opening of the third quarter. After what I thought was great effort for most of the rest of the game, I was disappointed with that mental lapse by the defense.

I thought our QB play was the best three tandem I have ever seen from a Cardinals team. Palmer was extremely efficient, and Stanton played the best I have ever seen from him. I was very surprised at the
manner in which Blaine Gabbert performed, given his having to deal with yet another new O-coordinator this year. He seemed very much in control of his emotions and his game. I sincerely hope that they can find a way to keep three QB's on this roster as he bodes well for this teams future.

Cudos for being beasts go to Nkemdeche, (though he was credited for the stop by Scooby on 4th and One)-----Also for the between the tackles running by David Johnson and Elijah Penny. I was pleasantly surprised by the job that Kirwin Williams did as a kick/punt returner. I thought he looked very comfortable and poised functioning in that position, and that his addition to special teams looks promising as a gunner AND now as depth at the K/Punt returner in the new guy's absence.

I was extremely pleased with the overall play of the offensive line, especially at the center position. There were no leaks up the middle that caused so much consternation for our QB's the past two years in pass protection. The move of Veldheer to Right Tackle seems to be the answer we were looking for, as he appeared very comfortable there in that role----------and the guys at Left Tackle were more than capable of covering the QB's blind side. I thought this was the best O-line play that I have seen yet from an Arians coached team here. Guard play, led by Iupati, was in beast mode for most of the evening as our running game attested to. I can foresee a very nice and deep rotation that seems to work like a machine together.

On the D-line, I was pleased that Mauro seems to be comfortable taking over in the absence of Cambpell. I thought he occupied two Raiders O-linemen with great regularity, allowing for Nkemdeche to become a beast when left one on one with his opponent. I always felt that Campbell played too comfortable at his position, (given his physical attributes), and that far too often when he split the double team, he would get to the QB, only to fail to bring him down by being soft at finishing his play. In last night's scheme, Mauro seemed to do a good job of occupying the double team, which allowed for Nkemdeche to get to the QB or ball carrier and he did NOT fail to bring the guy down. Each one of his plays seemedto energize the defense and the crowd. Good stuff there in my opinion. Mauro seems to be comfortable in keeping the double team off Nkemdeche's back.

I am stoked to say how pleased I was with the Special Teams play. Kickoff coverage was VERY good
and the kicks were placed perfectly to allow the gunners to turn the play inside where the beasts were ready to do their damage. That unit never gave up field position to the Raiders. The improvement in the overall Special Teams play was stellar, (when compared to last year's play), and it would appear that
this unit will nicely be ready to compliment our O and D units in both effort and effectiveness. Kicking accuracy was comfortably pin point, (with no cringing fear of that unit letting team down, as had occurred far too often in the past). I absolutely loved the hang time and depth of the punting game, and was extremely pleased to see them pin the Raiders deeper than could have been expected on several occasions---------good stuff here it would appear, and such a relief after what had been called SPECIAL TEAMS for the past couple of years. This year the Special Teams could be just that------VERY Special.

You can see that I am not yet acquainted with the overall roster so individual play goes wanting so far as
raves from me because I don't know the names yet. Suffice it to say--------this roster seems deep, (cornerbacks excepted), and the play of the quasi-corners, like Badger, and Baker appear to be ready to
do their thing.

Overall effort and effectiveness of this team against the Raiders was superb in my opinion.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Catfish, thanks for your 'take'. In another thread, I posted that I believe KW has locked up a roster spot, based on his ST's play as a KR/PR. And it's nice to see that you thought he had a good ST game, also.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Garth-----------I believe that his special teams play will earn him a roster spot

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great anlyasis catfish! Really like our qb debth which i hope dosent become a issue this year....

Also really like penny he is big and bruises for every yd i hope he is cards num 2 rb!

Should be a fun yr go cards!

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Mitch-------I loved yours too------very astute as usual my friend------btw, how does one go about PM ing another now. Haven't figured that out yet???

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Hey Mitch-------I loved yours too------very astute as usual my friend------btw, how does one go about PM ing another now. Haven't figured that out yet???

Go to Inbox (upper right corner of the forum page) and click on "start a conversation." I am so happy you are back!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
we looked good in several areas of the game but don't allow yourself to be fooled. The Raiders have possibly the best pass rushing duo in the league...and they didn't play...even without them our o-line barely held up.
None of their starting skill position players on offense stepped on the field either and they played the entire game with a backup at LT since Donald penn is staying at home right now.

we strongly benefitted from the fact that this was our second PS game while only being their first. Had Carr, beastmode, and crabtree been on the field I am pretty certain our defense as it was would not have shut them out in the first quarter.

we looked good in most aspects but we still have a long way to go before the season starts.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
GREAT post, bud. As I've shared before, with-out all of YOU to share all of this this with it would be a pretty empty experience. I'll focus on one thing...the defensive lapse at the end of the 1st half that led to the FG. "Points" at the beginning or end of a half are critical as they often give/ or take momentum away. What I found encouraging was that B.A. was right on it during the half-time interview. UNACCEPTABLE! While the players are ultimately responsible for the play on the field...you need strong leadership to address the problems that always come up.

Again, WELCOME BACK, bud.

CARDS IN 17'.

Mark in (finally) sunny S.C. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson