Quick Thoughts - Green Bay

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
~3 of our 4 worst games this season have been at home. I’m trying to figure out how this team is much better on the road.

~I thought Vance called a nice game. Those stops, the one after the Moore brain fart and the last stand, were handled impressively. The problem is for most of the game, the defense couldn’t tackle. I haven’t seen that kind of porous execution in a while. You could tell that VJ wanted to murder someone on the sidelines.

~I recant my love for Rondale Moore for the time being. I would’ve been kicked off my high school team for muffing a punt and doing nothing to recover it. In addition, he really hasn’t been much of a weapon on offense the past several weeks. Perhaps that’s Kliff misusing a player, but his play isn’t matching the hype at the moment.

~Zach Ertz can play on my team forever

~Kyler has taken a ton of hits the past four days and that’s a huge concern considering he hasn’t shown he can finish a season relatively healthy thus far in his career. He also limped off the field, so who the hell knows what he’s gonna be like come the 49ers game. Rodney Hudson needs to come back ASAP

~Matt LaFleur called a hell of a game. Green Bay is not as talented as Arizona, especially with missing some weapons, but LaFleur knew how to keep Kyler off the field. Obviously missed tackles played a role, but LaFleur and Rodgers kept a Jerry-rigged offense moving.

~AJ Green has had a nice season for us so far, which is why I’m going to feel bad when he gets lambasted for short-circuiting on the last play. Had he catch that, it’s a TD. And for AJ, perhaps some validation that he can still be a WR1. Now he needs to find another opportunity this season.

~My fear is that now that we sustained our first loss that momentum might also be gone. Playing @ SF in 10 days will be tough. I doubt Shanahan will lose to Kliff twice in one season. McVay will win the rematch in December. It’s up to Kliff to keep these guys’s heads in the game and not to deviate from the mission. Kliff’s team leaked oil all the way until the last game of the season.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My quick thoughts:

-JJ Watt was our most important defensive player. Not just for his production on the field, but for his intangible leadership.

-Chandler Jones can walk. No way I’m dumping crazy money into whatever person that is wearing the 55 jersey.

- LaFleur was brilliant. Brilliant game plan and brilliantly executed.

- Hop showed his value more in his absence than him making insane catches on the field. They looked terrifyingly bad without him.

- AJ Green is the worst. I mean seriously though, can you overcome a mistake that is that bad? Will he be able to mentally move forward? For as much as losing can sometimes have a positive effect, winning in that fashion against that team in front of the nation is also the kind of win that can propel you to winning it all. This will be hard to overcome. We’ll see what this team is made of moving forward.

- Home field advantage would have likely been secured with a win, but now seems like a pipe dream.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
~3 of our 4 worst games this season have been at home. I’m trying to figure out how this team is much better on the road.

~I thought Vance called a nice game. Those stops, the one after the Moore brain fart and the last stand, were handled impressively. The problem is for most of the game, the defense couldn’t tackle. I haven’t seen that kind of porous execution in a while. You could tell that VJ wanted to murder someone on the sidelines.

~I recant my love for Rondale Moore for the time being. I would’ve been kicked off my high school team for muffing a punt and doing nothing to recover it. In addition, he really hasn’t been much of a weapon on offense the past several weeks. Perhaps that’s Kliff misusing a player, but his play isn’t matching the hype at the moment.

~Kyler has taken a ton of hits the past four days and that’s a huge concern considering he hasn’t shown he can finish a season relatively healthy thus far in his career. He also limped off the field, so who the hell knows what he’s gonna be like come the 49ers game. Rodney Hudson needs to come back ASAP

~Matt LaFleur called a hell of a game. Green Bay is not as talented as Arizona, especially with missing some weapons, but LaFleur knew how to keep Kyler off the field. Obviously missed tackles played a role, but LaFleur and Rodgers kept a Jerry-rigged offense moving.

~AJ Green has had a nice season for us so far, which is why I’m going to feel bad when he gets lambasted for short-circuiting on the last play. Had he catch that, it’s a TD. And for AJ, perhaps some validation that he can still be a WR1. Now he needs to find another opportunity this season.

~My fear is that now that we sustained our first loss that momentum might also be gone. Playing @ SF in 10 days will be tough. I doubt Shanahan will lose to Kliff twice in one season. McVay will win the rematch in December. It’s up to Kliff to keep these guys’s heads in the game and not to deviate from the mission. Kliff’s team leaked oil all the way until the last game of the season.
7-1 this year and I think we were 6-2 last year, maybe 6-3 but I do think this is a better team but we may be looking at the same cross road in our season, which direction do we go?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
7-1 this year and I think we were 6-2 last year, maybe 6-3 but I do think this is a better team but we may be looking at the same cross road in our season, which direction do we go?
Not comparable IMO. Last year we started 6-3, but that included a not so close 10 point loss and multiple very close wins. Of course injuries could be an issue, but with Hudson coming back, a long week to recoup and a week 12 bye week I am not too worried about the injuries just yet.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Cards record at home under Kliff:

2019: 2-5-1
2020: 4-4
2021: 3-1

Total: 9-10-1

Road:

2019: 3-5
2021: 4-0

Total: 11-9

Pretty much even.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards record at home under Kliff:

2019: 2-5-1
2021: 3-1

Total: 9-10-1

Road:

2019: 3-5
2021: 4-0

Total: 11-9

Pretty much even.
That’s league wide lately home field has not been much of an advantage and I believe so sa far this year home teams have a losing record. Or they did going into this weekend.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
I can safely say that I'm not overly concerned about losing this so-called "Home Field Advantage." It's gotta feel good walking into your own stadium (as the only undefeated team left in the NFL) and be immediately greeted by a "Sea" of opposing fans.

"[Insert color of opponent] Sea."

No disrespect intended for the diehards -- as a lifelong, multi-generational fan, it's disgusting to see how casually STHs sell out like this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I can safely say that I'm not overly concerned about losing this so-called "Home Field Advantage." It's gotta feel good walking into your own stadium (as the only undefeated team left in the NFL) and be immediately greeted by a "Sea" of opposing fans.

"[Insert color of opponent] Sea."

No disrespect intended for the diehards -- as a lifelong, multi-generational fan, it's disgusting to see how casually STHs sell out like this.
To be fair, the stadium doesn’t get nearly as many opposing fans in the playoffs.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

He's taken a ton of hits in 4 days and you run...never mind.

Agree about keeping it together. Im not sure Shanahan is gonna blow the game like he did last time. JImmy G although not great can do the dink and dunk stuff.

Ironically we'd rather teams come out aggressive trying to score quickly like the Rams and Brown (who failed). Very vulnerable if teams force us into a slugfest.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's taken a ton of hits in 4 days and you run...never mind.

Agree about keeping it together. Im not sure Shanahan is gonna blow the game like he did last time. JImmy G although not great can do the dink and dunk stuff.

Ironically we'd rather teams come out aggressive trying to score quickly like the Rams and Brown (who failed). Very vulnerable if teams force us into a slugfest.
RG is responsible for majority of those hits last couple games. Josh Jones was getting manhandled at times. Need Hudson back to help hone out or find new RG that can do the job

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Analysts are starting to catch on that Kyle Shanahan may just be a glorified OC, so hopefully this board does to after he gets swept next Sunday.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't know how anyone, ANYONE, can think that VJ called a good defensive game plan. The D was soft, laying off, and entirely let the Pack offense dictate this game. Bend but don't break CAN work, but it can also crush your own team. If KM hadn't suddenly awoken and played like the MVP he is (after absolutely helping to bury us first, btw), we would've lost pretty handily, with our weak D and weak defensive game plan playing a major part.

When you pin the other team back at the 9 and cannot get them off the field after being unable to get them off the field plenty before, you are not doing well on D. VJ had an absolute screamer last night.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My quick thoughts:

-JJ Watt was our most important defensive player. Not just for his production on the field, but for his intangible leadership.

-Chandler Jones can walk. No way I’m dumping crazy money into whatever person that is wearing the 55 jersey.

- LaFleur was brilliant. Brilliant game plan and brilliantly executed.

- Hop showed his value more in his absence than him making insane catches on the field. They looked terrifyingly bad without him.

- AJ Green is the worst. I mean seriously though, can you overcome a mistake that is that bad? Will he be able to mentally move forward? For as much as losing can sometimes have a positive effect, winning in that fashion against that team in front of the nation is also the kind of win that can propel you to winning it all. This will be hard to overcome. We’ll see what this team is made of moving forward.

- Home field advantage would have likely been secured with a win, but now seems like a pipe dream.
I like your post until the AJ Green comment. He made a mistake at a big moment in a big game, but that doesn't completely wipe out all that he has accomplished this year and in his career. A seven time Pro Bowler shouldn't have an issue going forward.

Even Fitzgerald had a fumble or two in big moments during his career. It happens.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't know how anyone, ANYONE, can think that VJ called a good defensive game plan. The D was soft, laying off, and entirely let the Pack offense dictate this game. Bend but don't break CAN work, but it can also crush your own team. If KM hadn't suddenly awoken and played like the MVP he is (after absolutely helping to bury us first, btw), we would've lost pretty handily, with our weak D and weak defensive game plan playing a major part.

When you pin the other team back at the 9 and cannot get them off the field after being unable to get them off the field plenty before, you are not doing well on D. VJ had an absolute screamer last night.
Agree 100%. Look at how soft the coverage was, the seven man boxes while the Packers ran at will at times. The way the game was going, it didn't look like Rodgers would've been able to beat the Cardinals through the air.

And if you make Rodgers take some deep shots, you also get the opportunity to go after him, force a pick or two, get a sack or two. Play aggressively, don't run that passive bend don't break crap in a game like that. Totally gutlessly called game.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Pretty solid @TJ , except that VJ called a good game.

I think we should have made those 2nd and 3rd string WRs beat us. Instead, VJ played straight up against the run, and it cost us.

Edit: But VJ and defense didn't lose this game for us. Just want to be clear on that point. If going we're to assign blame, it's Rondale first, AJ Green 2nd. Then maybe J. Jones or Harlow (or both, combined) third.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Since we probably aren't handing out any game balls, would just like to point out that somebody extended their streak of not dropping any passes!!

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The sky isn't falling.

There was really much to like about the last drive in the last minute. And everybody now should see why, when you don't have to, go for it in the last 13 seconds without a TO.

If AJ Green looks at Kyler instead of the jumbotron, we win. It's that simple. And with that said, much went wrong in this game, but we still were in the grasp op winning it. And that against a top team of the NFC so I don't get all this doom, you loose some, yes. I hope we learnd from this game, that it finishes when you are done. And you stay concentrated.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A couple more thoughts that I don't know warrant another thread.

1 - AJ Green showed his age last night. He looked like a guy who is tied for the 5th oldest WR in the NFL, playing on a short week and getting way more snaps when Hopkins went out.

2 - Vance called his game plan and saw where it gets him. We will see if he uses the same plan against high level vets in the future.

3 - Tackling was bad. I don't think the yards after contact can be overstated.

4 - I expect we see more Ertz as he gets more familiar with the offense.

5 - Kyler played a hell of a game IMO. Same with our RBs.

6 - I almost would be curious to see Zach Allen play more on the edge. I don't believe we will get that with JJ being out, but he struggles to disengage inside and it puts a lot more pressure on our LBs.

7 - Losing players in game can be tougher than if they are out to begin it. Collins and Hopkins were a big part of the plan and losing them early forced guys into bigger roles than they would have had otherwise.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I like your post until the AJ Green comment. He made a mistake at a big moment in a big game, but that doesn't completely wipe out all that he has accomplished this year and in his career. A seven time Pro Bowler shouldn't have an issue going forward.

Even Fitzgerald had a fumble or two in big moments during his career. It happens.
Maybe some can remind me, but I do t recall Fitzgerald EVER having a play as egregious as that one in terms of timing, actions, and meaning for the game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree 100%. Look at how soft the coverage was, the seven man boxes while the Packers ran at will at times. The way the game was going, it didn't look like Rodgers would've been able to beat the Cardinals through the air.

And if you make Rodgers take some deep shots, you also get the opportunity to go after him, force a pick or two, get a sack or two. Play aggressively, don't run that passive bend don't break crap in a game like that. Totally gutlessly called game.
Wilson giving 10 yards to rookie WRs all night was baffling to me.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Wilson giving 10 yards to rookie WRs all night was baffling to me.
And a DB isn't just doing that on his own, that's a scheme thing. Sure, it usually means the most they are going to get is ten yards, but that's a near first down every time.

I'm not advocating press man or anything, but maybe a 5 yard cushion?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Maybe some can remind me, but I do t recall Fitzgerald EVER having a play as egregious as that one in terms of timing, actions, and meaning for the game.
I remember a Niners game where he fumbled on a potential game winning or game sealing drive. He did that a few times in his career. It happened.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
A couple more thoughts that I don't know warrant another thread.

1 - AJ Green showed his age last night. He looked like a guy who is tied for the 5th oldest WR in the NFL, playing on a short week and getting way more snaps when Hopkins went out.

2 - Vance called his game plan and saw where it gets him. We will see if he uses the same plan against high level vets in the future.

3 - Tackling was bad. I don't think the yards after contact can be overstated.

I thought through the whole game how bad we tackled. They slipped through more tackles than I can remember. I felt they need to hit the weights more, for a lot of times it just seems we were weak when it came to holding on to them, leaving our feet to much when tackling, and so many bad angles from our 2nd wave.

Hard to say it was a coach's fault when your players just can't seem to execute when they have a chance. But after all that, they made the defensive stand that matter most, and it was a great one that gave us a chance to win.

After that 8 play stand from the 1, I had no doubt that Murray would take us down the field. Why you ask? Because we would open it up and let it fly, like we should have done more of during the game. Why wait till the final drive to punish their inexperienced dbs?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave