Quick Reactions - Week 1

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
~I know he’s coming off of injury, but Hassan Reddick made little-to-no impact on the game. I mean, I saw his jersey out there, but he did nothing of note except for be three yards behind TEs catching balls

~Suggs is only interested in one thing - rushing the passer. Yes, he’s made a HoF career out of that, but in other facets of the game, he looks disinterested. Very slow lateral movements and put in no effort to chase down RBs who got past the first level.

~ Byron Murphy Jr. looks special. Any DB who can tackle in open space like that has a place in my starting lineup.

~Byrd is clutch. I thought he was a training camp body. He might actually be an important part of this offense.

~Gonna keep banging on the other second round pick, Isabella, until he actually does something of consequence. For me, he’s WR7.

~Defense was not great as there were a number of missed assignments in the secondary, but wasn’t the sieve it was last year. It was able to hold its own towards the end when it needed to. Good sign, considering its best defender isn’t available at the moment.

~ Oh yeah, Kyler. He played 3 quarters of regrettable football, even below standards for a normal rookie in his first career game. Sloppy decision making, awful footwork, and forcing throws. IT almost looked as if the art of the position was foreign to him. I think what happened was that Detroit went with a soft zone in the middle of the 4th quarter and let him get in rhythm. Once Kyler sampled some success, he looked rejuvenated and you could see the momentum snowball. Confident in saying that had Patricia kept his foot on the gas, we not only lose badly, but we spend all week questioning Kliff and Kyler. I’m glad Kliff took the blame for the first three quarters, which was a good leadership move, but Kliff did enough in those first few quarters for Kyler to have some success.

~This tweet from the Detroit Free Press sums up the game:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
Yes to all. I've pretty much written off Reddick as a sunk cost, dude doesnt know how to play the position. Too many false steps and indecision negate his God-given speed. Murphy can flat out play. I'm sure he'll make some mistakes but to come out as a rookie and cover/tackle like that was inspiring. Sucked to see Metcalf play well for Seattle and know Isabella is buried on the depth chart.

Only other comment I'd make is o-line played better than I thought.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
~I know he’s coming off of injury, but Hassan Reddick made little-to-no impact on the game. I mean, I saw his jersey out there, but he did nothing of note except for be three yards behind TEs catching balls

~Suggs is only interested in one thing - rushing the passer. Yes, he’s made a HoF career out of that, but in other facets of the game, he looks disinterested. Very slow lateral movements and put in no effort to chase down RBs who got past the first level.

~ Byron Murphy Jr. looks special. Any DB who can tackle in open space like that has a place in my starting lineup.

~Byrd is clutch. I thought he was a training camp body. He might actually be an important part of this offense.

~Gonna keep banging on the other second round pick, Isabella, until he actually does something of consequence. For me, he’s WR7.

~Defense was not great as there were a number of missed assignments in the secondary, but wasn’t the sieve it was last year. It was able to hold its own towards the end when it needed to. Good sign, considering its best defender isn’t available at the moment.

~ Oh yeah, Kyler. He played 3 quarters of regrettable football, even below standards for a normal rookie in his first career game. Sloppy decision making, awful footwork, and forcing throws. IT almost looked as if the art of the position was foreign to him. I think what happened was that Detroit went with a soft zone in the middle of the 4th quarter and let him get in rhythm. Once Kyler sampled some success, he looked rejuvenated and you could see the momentum snowball. Confident in saying that had Patricia kept his foot on the gas, we not only lose badly, but we spend all week questioning Kliff and Kyler. I’m glad Kliff took the blame for the first three quarters, which was a good leadership move, but Kliff did enough in those first few quarters for Kyler to have some success.

Your confusing disinterested with OLD. He ain’t chasing down running backs at this stage in his career anymore. Dudes been in the league like 16-17 years?

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
As far as this 1st game goes, This offense is not what was all hyped up all summer, it looked pretty meh to me

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as this 1st game goes, This offense is not what was all hyped up all summer, it looked pretty meh to me

In another thread it topped every game last year by at least 100 yards and frequently doubled it.

Not bad for game 1 when they stupidly didn't run it all preseason

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry not quite every game by 100 yards. Two games by 70 yards

Next week though is quite the test.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
In another thread it topped every game last year by at least 100 yards and frequently doubled it.

I don't compare anything to last year lol
I don't really care about the stats, the overall Offense was not that impressive after being told we would so be amazed

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

I’m still really pissed we took Isabella at that spot (or any spot before 4th round) woth DK Metcalf on the board. What a wasted pick.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lessons learned without a loss is huge especially as a rookie.

This was a huge pressure situation for Kyler and Kingsbury. Everyone was expecting the moon. Anything less would be deemed by many as a failure. And for a while I guarantee most of use was getting the rope ready to hang this entire organization.

But then something amazing happened. Kingsbury woke up to what he was doing wrong. Kyler turned into Kyler and was cooler than the other side of the pillow.

The seeds has been planted in the minds of every player in that locker room. The seeds of believing. It will still take some time for the seeds to grow and blossom.

Kyler and Kliff took a huge step to proving we ain’t never out of it. Of course it’s going to take more than one time. I would say every player in that locker room is disappointed in a tie, as well they should be. But they also have to be feeling pretty good at how they crawled out of the proverbial grave. And if we are down 4 pts. With 3 minutes to go there will be a feeling we are going to go down the field and win the game.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kyler was asked about that in his presser and he mentioned that it may have "stunted their growth" to play vanilla in preseason rather than their own offense. He said it made more sense to him to practice what they were going to do in the regular season in those preseason games...

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

I get the feeling people to expect the Cardinals to start scoring points like a college team, but that's never going to happen.

Getting to the middle of the pack offensively this year would be a massive improvement, and it looks like we have a reasonable chance to accomplish this.

Next year we can start running some bad defenses off the field with 34 or 38 points, but we're never going to put up 70.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
- Murray continues to look like he will be able to hold up physically in the NFL.

- I saw nothing from the offense that looked "special". That was extremely concerning, and continues to be.

- Play calling was really bad. Just poor.

- I hope Michael Crabtree can still play, because we need some size on the outside, Christian Kirk is too small to play on the outside.

- David Johnson is done. He is Marcel Shipp with better hands.

- OL is better than horrible, not by much but better.

- ILBer is still a big issue.

- Pass rush is pretty good.

- Zach Allen is going to be good.

- Special teams was a strength.

- The stars on the team did thier job.

- For having such a HORRIBLE showing, it is imprrssive the Cardinals were a Trumaine Brock, dropped INT away from a win.

- IF the Cardinals won that game, they should have sent gifts to Detroit for the win, since the Lions gave it to the Cardinals.

- Ravens are going to THRASH this team if they do not modify the offense. This is not college anymore, and hopefully that wasvmade clear yesterday.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Lessons learned without a loss is huge especially as a rookie.

This was a huge pressure situation for Kyler and Kingsbury. Everyone was expecting the moon. Anything less would be deemed by many as a failure. And for a while I guarantee most of use was getting the rope ready to hang this entire organization.

But then something amazing happened. Kingsbury woke up to what he was doing wrong. Kyler turned into Kyler and was cooler than the other side of the pillow.

The seeds has been planted in the minds of every player in that locker room. The seeds of believing. It will still take some time for the seeds to grow and blossom.

Kyler and Kliff took a huge step to proving we ain’t never out of it. Of course it’s going to take more than one time. I would say every player in that locker room is disappointed in a tie, as well they should be. But they also have to be feeling pretty good at how they crawled out of the proverbial grave. And if we are down 4 pts. With 3 minutes to go there will be a feeling we are going to go down the field and win the game.

Beautifully said.

Just think what will happen when if these guys get some swagger. If all 11 on offensive believe 100% they can beat the defense it front of them.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Overall pleased with the game but it is only week 1 so a lot of growing pains for this team.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think that an over-looked coaches decision by many people, that may ultimately be responsible for giving the Cards the chance to get back into the game was pointed out by Thesmel in the game day thread.

K2's decision to kick the third field goal that made the score 24-9. I know the commentators did not agree with that decision, and I doubt many on here did, too.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Do you guys feel that the league does not like the Air Raid, K1 & K2 in the NFL? We have seen some people call it pretty boy football. The officials were giving us crap on the hand-clap during pre-season. There were a few plays towards the end of the game, I felt the officials could flown the fly, but did not. In particular, a potential pass interface missed for Larry, and when Kyler was running out of bounds and the defender hits him out of bounds. I just get a bad vibe from the league in general. Is it just me?

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think that an over-looked coaches decision by many people, that may ultimately be responsible for giving the Cards the chance to get back into the game was pointed out by Thesmel in the game day thread.

K2's decision to kick the third field goal that made the score 24-9. I know the commentators did not agree with that decision, and I doubt many on here did, too.
I stood up and tried to leave the stadium when they sent out the FG team, luckily I was overruled.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It really wasn’t that tough a decision. We need 3 scores so we had to come away with points.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanted to find out from the game how each player and-position unit did and whether we could expect improvement, regression or repeat-performance as each week goes by.

My fear was that we'd get physically outmatched and would have to live with chronic weaknesses.

I don't think that's what's happening. I think we physically match up OK - it's the mental aspects of the game our guys have to get better at, and there's no reason why our coaches and younger players can't get it done.

That's what excites me.

But what makes me nervous is whether we have more than our share of young guys who haven't figured it out...and never will. Time will tell.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m still really pissed we took Isabella at that spot (or any spot before 4th round) woth DK Metcalf on the board. What a wasted pick.

he got better at the begininng he looked afraid to get hit on the KR's. But yeah so far I don't see any indication he's going to contribute at WR this year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys feel that the league does not like the Air Raid, K1 & K2 in the NFL? We have seen some people call it pretty boy football. The officials were giving us crap on the hand-clap during pre-season. There were a few plays towards the end of the game, I felt the officials could flown the fly, but did not. In particular, a potential pass interface missed for Larry, and when Kyler was running out of bounds and the defender hits him out of bounds. I just get a bad vibe from the league in general. Is it just me?

I think KM actually contributed to them not calling that penalty because he avoided most of the hit. not saying he should have let the guy lay him out just saying his ability to avoid contact there allowed the refs to not call it. If it's Brady or Rodgers they still call it though