Quick Reaction: Preseason Game 3

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Kyler looked more comfortable in this game than last, and he finally crossed midfield a few times. The Minnesota announcers were making comments about how Murray is still adjusting to to the game speed, which is normal for a rookie, but also made mention of his footwork and how he tends to throw off his back foot. This makes sense because he’s had a number of overthrown balls, including two in the end zone. Still not seeing the generational talent, but I hope it comes against Detroit.

Run blocking is still an issue. This line for some reason just doesn’t have good chemistry, which is bad considering a) it’s not very talented and b) it’s coached by a well-respected man in Sean Kugler.

KeeSean Johnson does not look like a rookie at all. The amount of separation he’s able to get from his man is insane. He’s also making contested catches, like the back shoulder in the second half.

Isabella has been a major disappointment and it’s a big deal considering he is a second round pick and a part of the Josh Rosen trade, so for more reasons than one, he has to work out in Arizona.. Isabella may end up as WR5 or WR6 and inactive a few games this season. I can’t slot him over Kirk, Fitz, Crabtree, KeeSean and Sherfield for the time being, and Cooper should be active based on KOR and PR.

Good to see Dogbe get penetration against that Minnesota line and sack Cousins. We need any spark we can get from anyone on the d-line.

This whole clapping fiasco needs to stop. I’m a proponent of not letting the refs decide the game for you and do as much as you can to control the outcome. A veteran official like Walt Anderson isn’t going to be charitable towards a rookie coach like Kliff Kingsbury, so he’s going to have to find a way to adapt, even if it means abolishing the clapping.

Kirk Cousins is doo doo, in case you didn’t know.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A few things:
1. The OL. We are going into the season with a lot to be concerned about. But, yesterday we played with our five starters, and I'm guessing that was for the first time. And it's going to take some time for the line to gel. There is little to no depth so injuries will play a big role for the OL. Pass blocking was pretty good.

2. Much too early to reach a conclusion on Andy Isabella. An injury set him back, and KeeSean's success has set him further back, by probably taking targets away. Look for him to be active on game days but be used sparingly (end arounds, and a couple of deep throws). To be honest I'm more concerned about Christian Kirk, as it doesn't seem that he has developed a chemistry with Kyler. But who knows what's going on in practice.

3. Looking for KM to show that he's a generational talent in his very first NFL game is a stretch. A big stretch. I'll be glad if he just reminds us why we moved on from Rosen.

4. Las Vegas knows more, a lot more, than I do, so I'll be interested in seeing if there is any movement in their line, from when it opened and Sept. 8th.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Run blocking is still an issue. This line for some reason just doesn’t have good chemistry, which is bad considering a) it’s not very talented and b) it’s coached by a well-respected man in Sean Kugler.

Yeah that's now my biggest concern. The line is getting zero push and creating no holes. Backs are getting hit in the backfield every time they run the ball. The pass protection looked better though.

KeeSean Johnson does not look like a rookie at all. The amount of separation he’s able to get from his man is insane. He’s also making contested catches, like the back shoulder in the second half.

Someone said it in another thread, but I think Keesean is already our second best receiver.

Good to see Dogbe get penetration against that Minnesota line and sack Cousins. We need any spark we can get from anyone on the d-line.

And Corey Peters aside, Dogbe and Allen might just be our two best DL. I'm not saying it's fixed, but I'm alot less worried than I was. I think a big part of the problem was Gunter going back to his old non block shedding, non play making ways. I thought a light came on with him, but I guess not.

Anyway, Dogbe and Allen clearly don't have this problem. I watched Dogbe for several plays and I was really impressed with his physicality and block shedding instincts. At least on the plays I watched, he never got stuck on a block or controlled for too long. I don't know what the competition was, so I'm not ready to crown him. But I think we might have dogded a bullet with the Dogbe and Allen additions.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I watched only the offensive snaps (except that awful TD run for Minny), and was pleasantly surprised with KM. No, he wasn't great, by a long shot, but you definitely saw flashes. That'll be what I'm looking for this season out of a rookie QB: Can he show that he can be good as an NFL QB. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Kyler looked more comfortable in this game than last, and he finally crossed midfield a few times. The Minnesota announcers were making comments about how Murray is still adjusting to to the game speed, which is normal for a rookie, but also made mention of his footwork and how he tends to throw off his back foot. This makes sense because he’s had a number of overthrown balls, including two in the end zone. Still not seeing the generational talent, but I hope it comes against Detroit.

Isabella has been a major disappointment and it’s a big deal considering he is a second round pick and a part of the Josh Rosen trade, so for more reasons than one, he has to work out in Arizona.. Isabella may end up as WR5 or WR6 and inactive a few games this season. I can’t slot him over Kirk, Fitz, Crabtree, KeeSean and Sherfield for the time being, and Cooper should be active based on KOR and PR.

This whole clapping fiasco needs to stop. I’m a proponent of not letting the refs decide the game for you and do as much as you can to control the outcome. A veteran official like Walt Anderson isn’t going to be charitable towards a rookie coach like Kliff Kingsbury, so he’s going to have to find a way to adapt, even if it means abolishing the clapping.

Kirk Cousins is doo doo, in case you didn’t know.

Captain Steal Yo Girl,

I'm quickly becoming a M. Dogbe fan. If we get a solid rotational player from a 7th round pick, that's really good.

I like how stout he looks. He looks every bit of his listed weight of 284.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I’ll add:

The penalties are disconcerting. Three games with 10 or more penalties. This team has to be more disciplined than that. It simply does not have the talent to overcome a myriad of self-inflicted wounds.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A few things:
1. The OL. We are going into the season with a lot to be concerned about. But, yesterday we played with our five starters, and I'm guessing that was for the first time. And it's going to take some time for the line to gel. There is little to no depth so injuries will play a big role for the OL. Pass blocking was pretty good.

2. Much too early to reach a conclusion on Andy Isabella. An injury set him back, and KeeSean's success has set him further back, by probably taking targets away. Look for him to be active on game days but be used sparingly (end arounds, and a couple of deep throws). To be honest I'm more concerned about Christian Kirk, as it doesn't seem that he has developed a chemistry with Kyler. But who knows what's going on in practice.

3. Looking for KM to show that he's a generational talent in his very first NFL game is a stretch. A big stretch. I'll be glad if he just reminds us why we moved on from Rosen.

4. Las Vegas knows more, a lot more, than I do, so I'll be interested in seeing if there is any movement in their line, from when it opened and Sept. 8th.

Why shouldn't we look for KM to show he's a generational talent in his first game? Does anyone happen to remember Cam Newton's first game? record breaking performance of 422 yards and 3 TD's against us. I'm not saying he needs to have 400 yards passing but if he's the generational talent everyone here seems to think, why shouldn't he be able to put up good number right away in this offense. After all, he's been running this offense since the 8th grade, right?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Why shouldn't we look for KM to show he's a generational talent in his first game? Does anyone happen to remember Cam Newton's first game? record breaking performance of 422 yards and 3 TD's against us. I'm not saying he needs to have 400 yards passing but if he's the generational talent everyone here seems to think, why shouldn't he be able to put up good number right away in this offense. After all, he's been running this offense since the 8th grade, right?

There's a difference between demonstrating talent, and generating production. The latter takes help from your teammates.

In the game for Cam you mention, Steve Smith, a notorious Cardinal Killer, had 8 catches for 178 yards. 22 ypc, lol. He helped Newton out a little that day.

But yesterday I gained a little confidence in our O line. If they can stay healthy, I think you'll see Murray take over some games this year. It will really help Murray live up to his billing.

Lockjaw

Reaction score

That was a great performance by Cam Newton, and Patrick Peterson saved us with his punt return. If KM got to open up the regular season against the Cardinals defense, he probably would look like a generational talent in his first game. Remember, when Landry Jones looked generational against us in Pittsburgh? He had 2 TDs and a 149.3 passer rating as their third stringer qb. We also made the world think Joey Harrington finally saw the light at the beginning of the 2003 season, as he launched 4 tds with 0 interceptions after an awful 2002 rookie season. Even Testaverde at age 43 came out of retirement in the middle of the season to beat us. No disrespect to Cam. He is a legit qb. It just made me think about the other times when we faced marginal, backup quarterbacks or running backs and made them look like stars. I'm optimistic KM will be a solid NFL qb, but I am always optimistic as a Cardinals fan. Hopefully, he can prove it in the regular season.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
That was a great performance by Cam Newton, and Patrick Peterson saved us with his punt return. If KM got to open up the regular season against the Cardinals defense, he probably would look like a generational talent in his first game. Remember, when Landry Jones looked generational against us in Pittsburgh? He had 2 TDs and a 149.3 passer rating as their third stringer qb. We also made the world think Joey Harrington finally saw the light at the beginning of the 2003 season, as he launched 4 tds with 0 interceptions after an awful 2002 rookie season. Even Testaverde at age 43 came out of retirement in the middle of the season to beat us. No disrespect to Cam. He is a legit qb. It just made me think about the other times when we faced marginal, backup quarterbacks or running backs and made them look like stars. I'm optimistic KM will be a solid NFL qb, but I am always optimistic as a Cardinals fan. Hopefully, he can prove it in the regular season.

Thanks for dragging up all those memories I've tried so hard to suppress. :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1. I thought the offensive line looked much better. They picked up quite a few blitzes and Murray wasnt having to run for his life. Despite what some of you are saying, there were some holes in the run game and the Cardinals ran effectively enough for Minnesota to have to play the run a bit.

2. The game clearly hasn't slowed down for Murray yet. Hes already demonstrated he can make quick decisions and the right decision, but his mechanics fell apart at times. This should get better with more experience. The missed TD throw to Kirk wasnt inaccurate, it was late. He has to see that a little quicker.

3. The Cook TD run wasnt a case of the Vikings being more physical. It was a missed assignment. Gunter was way out of position and had to lunge for the tackle and missed.

4. Zach Allen and Dogbe play hard. Dogbes sack looked like an NFL play. I think both should be soild rotational linemen. Corey Peters is a load and is one of the more underrated players.

5. Zeke Turner >>>>> Gardeck. Joe Walker had some nice plays too.

6. For the most part the outside corners played pretty well, but my good, Cousins was awful. He looked like a 5th round pick from Michigan State.

7. David Johnson still isnt hitting the hole the way he used. Hopefully that changes in the regular season. That screen play where he released his block and Murray delivered a perfect pass over the defender was beautiful. I think his role as a pass catcher could be huge this year.

8. KJ looks like the best young Cardinals receiver since Fitz. And he wasnt doing his work against 3s and 4s, he was making plays against starters and key backups. It wouldnt surprise me if KJ ends up better than Kirk. Savvy player.

9. Robertson looked good again and applied pressure regularly. He should make the team.

10. WR:
Fitz
Kirk
Crabtree
KJ
Isabella
Byrd
Butler

I wont be shocked if Butler is cut. Byrd might not make it if the team things Isabella can be a return man. Kirk can do it as well.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. I thought the offensive line looked much better. They picked up quite a few blitzes and Murray wasnt having to run for his life. Despite what some of you are saying, there were some holes in the run game and the Cardinals ran effectively enough for Minnesota to have to play the run a bit.

2. The game clearly hasn't slowed down for Murray yet. Hes already demonstrated he can make quick decisions and the right decision, but his mechanics fell apart at times. This should get better with more experience. The missed TD throw to Kirk wasnt inaccurate, it was late. He has to see that a little quicker.

3. The Cook TD run wasnt a case of the Vikings being more physical. It was a missed assignment. Gunter was way out of position and had to lunge for the tackle and missed.

4. Zach Allen and Dogbe play hard. Dogbes sack looked like an NFL play. I think both should be soild rotational linemen. Corey Peters is a load and is one of the more underrated players.

6. For the most part the outside corners played pretty well, but my good, Cousins was awful. He looked like a 5th round pick from Michigan State.

7. David Johnson still isnt hitting the hole the way he used. Hopefully that changes in the regular season. That screen play where he released his block and Murray delivered a perfect pass over the defender was beautiful. I think his role as a pass catcher could be huge this year.

8. KJ looks like the best young Cardinals receiver since Fitz. And he wasnt doing his work against 3s and 4s, he was making plays against starters and key backups. It wouldnt surprise me if KJ ends up better than Kirk. Savvy player.

9. Robertson looked good again and applied pressure regularly. He should make the team.

10. WR:
Fitz
Kirk
Crabtree
KJ
Isabella
Byrd
Butler

I wont be shocked if Butler is cut. Byrd might not make it if the team things Isabella can be a return man. Kirk can do it as well.
Butler will get IR’d so that will make room for Sherfield.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

10. I wont be shocked if Butler is cut. Byrd might not make it if the team things Isabella can be a return man. Kirk can do it as well.

7. What is up with David Johnson? Is he too big now? He seems to have lost his agility, play making ability, and his acceleration. He used to look like he wasn't running fast and then he would be gone. Now...he just looks slow. I hate to say it but Edmonds looks like the better/more explosive RB right now (and last year). C'mon DJ!

8. Agreed on KJ...he is smooth.

9. Agreed on Robertson...more pressure again yesterday and with the starters.

10. No way in hell they cut Butler. IR more likely.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Butler will get IR’d so that will make room for Sherfield.

I always forget about Sherfield...

I wouldnt be surprised to see him not make it, especially after Crabtree was signed.

Keim has screwed up other parts of the roster but the wide receivers room looks pretty good right now. Lots of young depth and a few crafty veterans.

I think the top four are Fitz, Kirk, Crabtree, and KJ. Isabella 100% makes the roster. That's 5.

So now it comes down to 1 or 2 spots. Really tough decision. The Cardinals might opt to go with only 6 receivers.

I think the should IR Butler, basically a redshirt year. And then yes, keep Sherfield.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I always forget about Sherfield...

I wouldnt be surprised to see him not make it, especially after Crabtree was signed.

Keim has screwed up other parts of the roster but the wide receivers room looks pretty good right now. Lots of young depth and a few crafty veterans.

I think the top four are Fitz, Kirk, Crabtree, and KJ. Isabella 100% makes the roster. That's 5.

So now it comes down to 1 or 2 spots. Really tough decision. The Cardinals might opt to go with only 6 receivers.

I think the should IR Butler, basically a redshirt year. And then yes, keep Sherfield.
Imo they are more likely to keep 8 wr than 6...with 7 being the over under

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Robertson is sure (hope. hope) to make the team. He's listed as an ILB, but plays OLB. Since we're weaker at ILB, I wish that VJ would try playing him inside.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score

10. WR:
Fitz
Kirk
Crabtree
KJ
Isabella
Byrd
Butler

Re #3... Go back and watch. No question that Gunter took a bad angle and wasn’t there for the contain. With that said, take a look at Hicks jersey in the replay. You couldn’t even make out the 5 because he was held so bad. If not for the hold, he was poised to make the tackle that Gunter missed.

Re #10 Sherfield is a lock! Playing great ST coverage and super productive as WR target. The last spot is between Byrd and Cooper with Butler going on IR and potential to return later in the year if at all.

Receiver depth chart is Fitz, Kirk, Crabtree, KJ, Sherfield, Byrd, & Isabella. Add to the mix D.J., Edmonds, Clay, & Williams and that’s a real nice group of pass catchers for K1. It’s still all about the OL stupid!!!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Re #3... Go back and watch. No question that Gunter took a bad angle and wasn’t there for the contain. With that said, take a look at Hicks jersey in the replay. You couldn’t even make out the 5 because he was held so bad. If not for the hold, he was poised to make the tackle that Gunter missed.

Re #10 Sherfield is a lock! Playing great ST coverage and super productive as WR target. The last spot is between Byrd and Cooper with Butler going on IR and potential to return later in the year if at all.

Receiver depth chart is Fitz, Kirk, Crabtree, KJ, Sherfield, Byrd, & Isabella. Add to the mix D.J., Edmonds, Clay, & Williams and that’s a real nice group of pass catchers for K1. It’s still all about the OL stupid!!!

I think it's crazy that the Cardinals flipped the WR depth chart so much in one offseason.

The offensive line is 100% about health. The last time the Cardinals got through a season with major injuries to the offensive line was the 2008-2009 season....we all remember what happened that year...

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Byrd > Cooper

We could still use a guy in that spot that can be a dynamic punt returner.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
7. What is up with David Johnson? Is he too big now? He seems to have lost his agility, play making ability, and his acceleration. He used to look like he wasn't running fast and then he would be gone. Now...he just looks slow. I hate to say it but Edmonds looks like the better/more explosive RB right now (and last year). C'mon DJ!

8. Agreed on KJ...he is smooth.

9. Agreed on Robertson...more pressure again yesterday and with the starters.

10. No way in hell they cut Butler. IR more likely.
David Johnson isn't running with much violence.

Dunno know why? Injury? Impact of past injuries? Nice guy, but where's the fire?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There's a difference between demonstrating talent, and generating production. The latter takes help from your teammates.

In the game for Cam you mention, Steve Smith, a notorious Cardinal Killer, had 8 catches for 178 yards. 22 ypc, lol. He helped Newton out a little that day.

But yesterday I gained a little confidence in our O line. If they can stay healthy, I think you'll see Murray take over some games this year. It will really help Murray live up to his billing.
I thought the OL played pretty good & DJ averaged almost 4 yds/carry. It's gonna take time for them to gel but as long as they can stay healthy, I believe Kugler will have them playing well.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it's crazy that the Cardinals flipped the WR depth chart so much in one offseason.

The offensive line is 100% about health. The last time the Cardinals got through a season with major injuries to the offensive line was the 2008-2009 season....we all remember what happened that year...
So many holes on the team after last season, had to start somewhere, they chose WR. Next season should be both OL & DL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So many holes on the team after last season, had to start somewhere, they chose WR. Next season should be both OL & DL.

OL is better to add a piece or two each season. Going too drastic can actually hurt continuity.

Last year added Cole and Cunningham.
This year Gaillard and Miles. Maybe two of those guys pan out.

This coming draft has been hailed as the best OL draft in over a decade. Look at how many really good OTs there are. A few have the look of future All Pros.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Byrd vs. Cooper. Yesterday, Byrd won. In the first two PS games, I believe Cooper won. What happened during the daily practice sessions will determine who stays and who goes. JMO.