Quick Mid-Point Run Down

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Yes, yes, I know you all wait with bated breath, LOL. Yeah right.

You can skip this mindless blathering and get to the football.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I really have been enjoying this season, and have so much I want to write about but........ busy at work, busy at home, and had some opportunities that I had to take advantage of.

Busy at work - Aren't we all these days. Happy to have work too!

Busy at home - Brought a park mobile RV that I am fixing up. Super fun project but very time consuming. (see below)

Opportunity - Decided it was time to learn how to cook at age 34. Went up to see the master, and was taught some magic potions of goodness. Beef Barley Soup, Escarole & Beans, Apple Pie, Vinegar Chicken, Flank Steak, Meatballs and Spaghetti, etc., etc.

So thus while I have a whole bunch that I could write about at the halfway point of the season. I just have not had the time.

1. Overall:

The Cardinals sit at 4-4 at the mid-point of the season. Sitting way above expectations of many fans, and myself. I was thinking 2-6 or 3-5 at this point. Looking at the roster, day one. I had a feeling the offense would suffer, and they have. Yet, I had a feeling the defense would also suffer but I was very wrong on that.

Some fans believe that your team either makes the playoffs or it is a lost cause of a season. Some fans believe that your team needs to make the Super Bowl or it is a wasted season. Admirable but I am not one of those fans.

The Cardinals need to re-build. Why ? Because of what will be my second of three points I have at the mid-point of this season. They need talent.

Can Keim and Arians find the talent ? I don't know but they sure are making sure they don't miss a player because they are not active. The churning of the bottom of the roster is a real situation. And when I say bottom of the roster, I mean the bottom of the "Active 45" players on Sunday. Arians' inactive list week to week has about 4 to 5 "protected players on it". Ryan Williams, and Earl Watford to name two. They are probably not going to see the field this year, but when those two roster spots are inactive every week are you really "wasting" a roster spot. Those 8 weekly inactives cannot play, that day, they will not be on the field, and really can't do anything so they are kind of a wash. So, if you have 8 inactive RBs on the roster, what does it matter ? Bruce Arians and Steve Keim use the inactive list intelligently. They put players in that group they want to keep around and work with. Projects.

Because of it, they have brought in some good talent that may help depth wise, role wise. Bradley Sowell, Teddy Williams, Britten Golden, Dontay Moch, Alameda Ta'amu, and Marcus Bernard are decent players, IMO. Not starters, not difference makers, but solid talent that is going to do nothing more than make next offseason more competitive.

The draft picks, hit or miss, but some good talent there. Cooper has a lot of promise, Tyrann Matheui has played very well for a rookie, Andre Ellington has shown great promise so far, Stepfan Taylor has shown some potential to be on this roster for a long time, and the jury is still out on Kevin Minter, and Earl Watford.

There is excitement and optimism but it is only 8 games. We will see. 4-4 is a heck of a good start for this team, so there should be a feeling of accomplishment for the current regime in there first year.

2. Talent, Talent, Talent:

Coaching is overrated.

It can give you an edge, but you have to be competitive to utilize that edge that coaching can give you.

If you do not have talent you will not win football games.

Don't buy it. OK. Then explain to me why with a new coach, new GM, new setup in the organization, what seems like 800 new coaches on the staff, new this, new that, different this, and different that, etc., etc., etc that the Cardinals are basically the same as last year.

Great defense, poor offense.

Ray Horton and his scheme, Whiz and his system, Bruce Arians and his new simple system, Todd Bowles and his more conservative approach, Tom Moore, etc., etc., etc

Great Defense, poor offense.

Why ? Talent.

2008-2009 Arizona Cardinals - back to back playoff appearances. Kurt Warner retires, and 2010 and 2011 the Cardinals are horrible again. Coach didn't change, but the talent did. Kurt Warner, Anquan Boldin, Antrel Rolle, etc, etc, leave, and the team gets worse, and the coaching couldn't do anything because there is only so much it can do.

Why ? Talent.

Whiz goes to San Deigo and looks like a QB guy again.

Why ? Talent.

Mike Tomlin, had so many years of success in Pittsburgh, and the immortal Dick LeBeau that EVERYONE was so sure was the best defensive mind in the NFL. Losing, badly.

Why ? Talent.

YOU HAVE TO HAVE TALENT TO SUCCEED IN THIS LEAGUE. All you have to do is look around the NFL, and it consistently drives that point home. Yeah, Aaron Rogers (recently hurt) does a heck of a lot to make his team better but it is because he is top of the hill in the QB talent department. Green Bay is now in a lot of trouble cause the team doesn't have the talent it needs to compete.

Enter Harold Goodwin. In my opinion, he gets it. Screw continuity on the offensive line. SCREW IT. Get the talent on the roster first. Doing the same thing over and over again is the definition of what again ?

1. Levi Brown ? Out. Gone. Needed to happen 3 years ago, IMO.

2. Bobby Massie ? Had to EARN his job. This year. That is very important. What was good enough for some (including me), wasn't.

3. Eric Winston ? Brought in because the talent wasn't good enough. That is not been the Cardinal way for a long time, and thank goodness it has changed.

4. Paul Fanaika ? Mike Gibson ? Nate Potter ? <--- Debatable, but I feel this depth is way, way better then in year's past.

5. Earl Watford ? A showing of investing in the future. Still on the roster too, which is a rarity for offensive linemen drafted by the Cardinals in later rounds.

I like the search for talent at the expense of the offensive line continuity. Continuity would have Levi Brown still as our LT. Continuity would never give Bobby Massie a chance to redeem himself. Continuity doesn't even think about keeping Paul Fanaika on this roster, let alone have him start.

And it is not only on the offensive line, or just on the offense. Andre Ellington getting time, Stepfan Taylor getting time, bringing in Britten Golden, Teddy Williams, the challenging of Fitzgerald in his new role, bringing in Carson Palmer (who is an upgrade from poor to bad but still an upgrade to make us 4-4). Not to mention Karlos Dansby, John Abraham, Frostee Rucker, Matt Shaughnessey, Marcus Bernard, and the host of other talent that was sort through and brought in.

Talent, Talent, Talent. Find it keep it.

3. The Offensive line, the Quarterback, and the Dude :

Now can I go back to the offensive line again ?

2012:
Levi Brown
Daryn College
Lyle Sendlein
Adam Snyder
Bobby Massie

What I hope to happen by next year

2014:
_______ - TBD. I would be 100% shocked if the Cardinals don't address this.
Jonathan Cooper
Lyle Sendlein - And that is yet to be determined.
Bradley Sowell - yep. you heard it here first. I cannot see why not.
Bobby Massie - Physically improved in 2012, mentally improved in 2013.

Bench:
Earl Watford
Paul Fanaika
Nate Potter - at worst.

Get the talent first, and then worry about continuity. And I am fully prepared to debate why Bradley Sowell should end up our starting right guard next year.

As for left tackle ? Free Agency there will be Brandon Albert and to a lesser extent Jared Veldheer. If not, to the draft we go.

Now for the quarterback position. Carson Palmer is an improvement. He is. He gives the team a chance where for the last two years, we had only a fleeting moment of John Skelton playing the part of a poor man's Tebow that gave us a chance. Besides that our QB play actually would be so poor as to overcome the efforts of a great defense, and lose the game for the Caridnals.

Palmer is good for now. He gives us a chance. If we had a QB that was a notch above Palmer we could be 5-3, or dare I say 6-2. Yet, that is not the case.

Now how have the Cardinals won ? Running the ball, and keeping the game out of Palmer's hands. Palmer is going to have to throw the ball but is effective when it is not all on him.

Running the ball, when did this start happening ? See above. When the talent got better. Levi Brown was not a good run blocker. Minimal effort, minimal athletic ability. Why do I see Bradley Sowell as the RG next year? Because he can run block, he can get out in space, and move. That 80 yard run by Ellington ? Off the left side BTW.

Levi Brown was very poor at all aspects of the game. NFL professional football is a game of inches, and Levi Brown left inches all over the field. While he played to what he deemed the end of the play, the rest of the players on the field waited for the officials to blow the whistle, in order for them to stop competing.

Thus there is progress:

1. Improve the QB position (though barely): check
2. Better the Talent on the offensive line: In progress
3. Improve the RB position: check
4. Quarterback of the Future: _______
5. Tight End: _______

LOL. The dude threads, pretty funny, IMO.

Rob Housler is not going to be a NFL quality TE. He has had his opportunity, the Cardinals put their eggs in his basket, and he eggs have smashed onto the ground like when he drops a pass. The project is over, time to go get a tight end.

Him being over hyped is not his fault. Him being drafted WELL before he should have been is not his fault. Him being put in a position to not succeed is not his fault.

But, he is just not a good tight end. That is his fault.

This team needs a tight end. It needs a QB, a LT, and a pass rusher at the OLBer position, and then needs a TE.

What is even more worrisome ? Greg Olson on the Panthers is the only TE that I can see being what we need that will be a free agent next year. Again, the draft is the only place there is a good chance for the Cardinals to find what they need.

So that is it. That is really all I have in a condensed version of a mid-season review.

The organization is doing a good job of trying to improve talent both starting positions and depth wise. The team is playing better than expected, and most of the games have been close and competitive.

But, the talent needs to improve. The coaching is there, and to be honest the coaching can only do so much.

The challenge is:

1. QB
2. LT
3. OLBer
4. TE

And you only get a 1st round pick, and 2nd round pick a year. The ship is pointed in the right direction, does it get the right crew on the ship to start thinking that the Cardinals can get back to the top of the division ? We will see.

Attachments

• DSCF0876.jpg
    DSCF0876.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good read and always enjoy your thoughts and perspective.

Agree with your needs list but would like to add SS to it. I'm a bigger fan of Bell than most but he is closing in on 40 yrs. old.

The churn at the bottom of the roster is a notable change and I'm a huge fan of this process. I think BA does a great job of truly holding players accountable and keeping them engaged while having respect for him. SK true to his word keeps looking for talent and bringing new guys in to see if they can contribute and develop.

Rugby, you are our Renaissance Man.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Calling K9.

I need my enthusiasm tempered with Tony Jefferson. The kid is a playmaker, IMO.

I see no need to worry about SS in the future, and in the short term ?

Free Agents 2014:
Chris Clemons*
Donte Whitner

Both I believe would fill in nicely as a longer term band aid.

Not to mention Rashad Johnson is still on the team.

That all being said, you have a very valid point since most of my thoughts about not being concerned about the SS position are all potential, and ifs and buts.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tony has made some plays but he seems small out there. He if 5'11 212 but if Honey Badger is going to be our FS we need a bigger SS to handle the bigger players being thrown their way and the larger running backs like lynch IMO

Reaction score
Great post Rugby! One of the best I have read here in a long time.

tony has made some plays but he seems small out there. He if 5'11 212 but if Honey Badger is going to be our FS we need a bigger SS to handle the bigger players being thrown their way and the larger running backs like lynch IMO
I too like the way Tony Jefferson attacks the game. But I also agree that having two safeties who are both short of 6 ft. tall, may not be a good idea.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Calling K9.

Free Agents 2014:
Chris Clemons*
Donte Whitner

That all being said, you have a very valid point since most of my thoughts about not being concerned about the SS position are all potential, and ifs and buts.

:shrug:

Not much I'm going to be able to do for you here. I think that the height factor on defensive backs is overrated. We're not going to run Seattle's scheme, and if you're not going to have bigger CBs and play cover-3 or cover-4 most of the time, then what does it matter?

I'd prefer not to spend money on the safety position, and I'm guessing that Keim and his subordinates don't want to either, or we would have kept Rhodes and/or Wilson. I'm fine with Rashard, Tony Jefferson, and Honey Badger next year and into the future.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well done Rugby. So if all the stars lined up tell me how you solve your position needs for 2014. Names optional but which positions do you draft in the first four rounds and which do you try to fill in FA. BTW, this list is like groundhog day. I cant remember when we didn't need QB, LT, OLBer, TE. Even when we had warner we were still missing the other 3 positions. He just made up for it enough to make those weaknesses look less glaring.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The challenge is:

1. QB
2. LT
3. OLBer
4. TE

Yup! Should be able to get 1 or 2 in the first round with abundance of both positions next May.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Well done Rugby. So if all the stars lined up tell me how you solve your position needs for 2014. Names optional but which positions do you draft in the first four rounds and which do you try to fill in FA. BTW, this list is like groundhog day. I cant remember when we didn't need QB, LT, OLBer, TE. Even when we had warner we were still missing the other 3 positions. He just made up for it enough to make those weaknesses look less glaring.

Unfortunately, I really can't do that yet.

Not the biggest college football fan, and while I have watched more this year than most in the past, I haven't really thought about where the Cardinals might draft, or who would be available.

There are a couple threads were there have been a discussion going on.

But, a preliminary plan which is going to be vague:

1. Draft a QB and/or LT in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the draft. I don't see Brandon Albert becoming a free agent, and/or the Cardinals paying that kind of money to Albert.

2. Keep a very close eye on Greg Olson. I almost guarantee he will never make it to free agency, but your never know. Olson is what our offense needs, IMO.

3. For the OLBer position. Hate to say it, but I cannot see the OLBer being addressed in the first two rounds of the draft. I suspect the Cardinals make the best out of what they have here in camp. They have a lot of OLBer that can be brought into camp in 2014. Since John Abraham doesn't seem to age, we do have that band aid for another year.

It is tough. If you are a good player you usually don't see free agency. In the draft your first two rounds are more than likely the only rounds you are going to find a QB or OT that can play right away.

I say the Cardinals concentrate on the draft for LT, and QB, and try to "find value" at the tight end position in the later rounds.

The OLBer position ? If you can take care of LT and QB in the 2014 draft, then you slate a pass rusher for your 1st round in 2015, and have another year of finding a TE, but having a 2nd round pick to kind of go BPA, that may work out.

You never know with this stuff, especially 1/2 way through the season.

I haven't even looked at the cap ramifications for next season where a lot of veterans may be out of work for cap reasons.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I really can't do that yet.

Not the biggest college football fan, and while I have watched more this year than most in the past, I haven't really thought about where the Cardinals might draft, or who would be available.

There are a couple threads were there have been a discussion going on.

But, a preliminary plan which is going to be vague:

1. Draft a QB and/or LT in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the draft. I don't see Brandon Albert becoming a free agent, and/or the Cardinals paying that kind of money to Albert.

2. Keep a very close eye on Greg Olson. I almost guarantee he will never make it to free agency, but your never know. Olson is what our offense needs, IMO.

3. For the OLBer position. Hate to say it, but I cannot see the OLBer being addressed in the first two rounds of the draft. I suspect the Cardinals make the best out of what they have here in camp. They have a lot of OLBer that can be brought into camp in 2014. Since John Abraham doesn't seem to age, we do have that band aid for another year.

It is tough. If you are a good player you usually don't see free agency. In the draft your first two rounds are more than likely the only rounds you are going to find a QB or OT that can play right away.

I say the Cardinals concentrate on the draft for LT, and QB, and try to "find value" at the tight end position in the later rounds.

The OLBer position ? If you can take care of LT and QB in the 2014 draft, then you slate a pass rusher for your 1st round in 2015, and have another year of finding a TE, but having a 2nd round pick to kind of go BPA, that may work out.

You never know with this stuff, especially 1/2 way through the season.

I haven't even looked at the cap ramifications for next season where a lot of veterans may be out of work for cap reasons.

Olson as a FA would be a coup. I do think there will be plenty of good QBs in R1 & R2 and fewer potential franchise LTs so we would obviously go LT with our first pick if Matthews, Lowen or Kouandjio were there and if Bridgewater, Mariota & Hundley were gone before we pick. One or more of the next tier could also go in R1 - Manziel, McCaron, Thomas, Morris, Murray, Mattenberger, Miller and Boyd but I can't see us reaching for a QB. I expect us to go O in R1 & R2 and end up where we always do after that- looking for a pass rusher when there isn't one. When you look at our needs while the four key positions we always need are obvious we are in pretty good shape otherwise. RB, OL after the LT, ILB, CB & S. I could see us looking for DT and if there were a better option than all the #2 cbs we have.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For next season I would call OL and QB the biggest priorities. Pass rusher is key but we will get several OLB back next year and have been wreaking havoc in the backfield without them anyway. If the offense can be better the Defense will rest more and everything will remain in balance. We can get all the sacks we want but if we get sacked every play we still lose.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I disagree that Todd Bowles has a more conservative approach. That was the speculation before the season began.

Gone is the frustrating 2 down lineman approach. The team also seems to play more man coverage than in the past as well.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think the Cards will be drafting too late to consider a top ranked QB -- I am now setting my sights on guys like Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron and the like -- a guy you can get by trading into the top of the 2nd round

This is also shaping up to be a pretty solid and deep LT draft. Even at 16 or so, there should be an upgrade on the board. It's also looking like a decent TE draft, with the strength being guys who are more like old school guys who are good blockers and excel in shorter routes ( rather than the jimmy graham king sized WR type).

While ridiculously early, this might be one of those drafts where trading back to accumulate multiple second rounders might make sense

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Calling K9.

Free Agents 2014:
Chris Clemons*
Donte Whitner

I like Tony Jefferson as well but he isn't SS big IMO. Rashad Johnson is okayish. Add in HB and we have a solid Safety group but that's still only 3 so we do need to add a 4th and that should be a bigger SS type.

If BASK are going to truly go BPA (even with need factored in) then I suggest that SS is added to the need list.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Great job Muffin. I love that you picked up on churning the bottom of the roster. That has been overlooked by most of us. I will have a large effect on the talent level of the depth for this roster next year. Great find in my opinion and thanks for pointing it out.

I agree with OL, QB, Rush OLB, TE for next year. I would hope that something is done in both free agency and the draft toward this end. I also like that Cooper is coming back. I like your positioning Sowell at RG next year. Also a self motivated and learned Massie at RT. They could make a very formidable pair on the right side. I still see a need to upgrade Sendlein at C. I would absolutely love to see an accomplished LT next to Cooper at LG next year, so that we could Pass Protect across the board, AND run to either side.

This post of yours is extremely insightful Muffin. I too like this FO and Staff, but I agree that they can only do so much with the current talent level, ESPECIALLY on offense. The Staff is very thoroughly working the roster over and is being very patient with those who are having problems. I am very proud of them for not throwing them under the bus. I love that they made Massie prove it to himself. He will be a very self confident man going forward, and one who knows the value of learning the play book AND proper technique.

Thanks again for your halfway through the season analysis. Keep up the good work.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree that Todd Bowles has a more conservative approach. That was the speculation before the season began.

Gone is the frustrating 2 down lineman approach. The team also seems to play more man coverage than in the past as well.

Bowles D has been equally aggressive if not more aggressive than last year.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Good read. I agree completely. This team is better than last year's. We just need to keep adding talent.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yes, yes, I know you all wait with bated breath, LOL. Yeah right.

You can skip this mindless blathering and get to the football.

I really have been enjoying this season, and have so much I want to write about but........ busy at work, busy at home, and had some opportunities that I had to take advantage of.

Busy at work - Aren't we all these days. Happy to have work too!

Busy at home - Brought a park mobile RV that I am fixing up. Super fun project but very time consuming. (see below)

Opportunity - Decided it was time to learn how to cook at age 34. Went up to see the master, and was taught some magic potions of goodness. Beef Barley Soup, Escarole & Beans, Apple Pie, Vinegar Chicken, Flank Steak, Meatballs and Spaghetti, etc., etc.

So thus while I have a whole bunch that I could write about at the halfway point of the season. I just have not had the time.

1. Overall:

The Cardinals sit at 4-4 at the mid-point of the season. Sitting way above expectations of many fans, and myself. I was thinking 2-6 or 3-5 at this point. Looking at the roster, day one. I had a feeling the offense would suffer, and they have. Yet, I had a feeling the defense would also suffer but I was very wrong on that.

Some fans believe that your team either makes the playoffs or it is a lost cause of a season. Some fans believe that your team needs to make the Super Bowl or it is a wasted season. Admirable but I am not one of those fans.

The Cardinals need to re-build. Why ? Because of what will be my second of three points I have at the mid-point of this season. They need talent.

Can Keim and Arians find the talent ? I don't know but they sure are making sure they don't miss a player because they are not active. The churning of the bottom of the roster is a real situation. And when I say bottom of the roster, I mean the bottom of the "Active 45" players on Sunday. Arians' inactive list week to week has about 4 to 5 "protected players on it". Ryan Williams, and Earl Watford to name two. They are probably not going to see the field this year, but when those two roster spots are inactive every week are you really "wasting" a roster spot. Those 8 weekly inactives cannot play, that day, they will not be on the field, and really can't do anything so they are kind of a wash. So, if you have 8 inactive RBs on the roster, what does it matter ? Bruce Arians and Steve Keim use the inactive list intelligently. They put players in that group they want to keep around and work with. Projects.

Because of it, they have brought in some good talent that may help depth wise, role wise. Bradley Sowell, Teddy Williams, Britten Golden, Dontay Moch, Alameda Ta'amu, and Marcus Bernard are decent players, IMO. Not starters, not difference makers, but solid talent that is going to do nothing more than make next offseason more competitive.

The draft picks, hit or miss, but some good talent there. Cooper has a lot of promise, Tyrann Matheui has played very well for a rookie, Andre Ellington has shown great promise so far, Stepfan Taylor has shown some potential to be on this roster for a long time, and the jury is still out on Kevin Minter, and Earl Watford.

There is excitement and optimism but it is only 8 games. We will see. 4-4 is a heck of a good start for this team, so there should be a feeling of accomplishment for the current regime in there first year.

2. Talent, Talent, Talent:

Coaching is overrated.

It can give you an edge, but you have to be competitive to utilize that edge that coaching can give you.

If you do not have talent you will not win football games.

Don't buy it. OK. Then explain to me why with a new coach, new GM, new setup in the organization, what seems like 800 new coaches on the staff, new this, new that, different this, and different that, etc., etc., etc that the Cardinals are basically the same as last year.

Great defense, poor offense.

Ray Horton and his scheme, Whiz and his system, Bruce Arians and his new simple system, Todd Bowles and his more conservative approach, Tom Moore, etc., etc., etc

Great Defense, poor offense.

Why ? Talent.

2008-2009 Arizona Cardinals - back to back playoff appearances. Kurt Warner retires, and 2010 and 2011 the Cardinals are horrible again. Coach didn't change, but the talent did. Kurt Warner, Anquan Boldin, Antrel Rolle, etc, etc, leave, and the team gets worse, and the coaching couldn't do anything because there is only so much it can do.

Why ? Talent.

Whiz goes to San Deigo and looks like a QB guy again.

Why ? Talent.

Mike Tomlin, had so many years of success in Pittsburgh, and the immortal Dick LeBeau that EVERYONE was so sure was the best defensive mind in the NFL. Losing, badly.

Why ? Talent.

YOU HAVE TO HAVE TALENT TO SUCCEED IN THIS LEAGUE. All you have to do is look around the NFL, and it consistently drives that point home. Yeah, Aaron Rogers (recently hurt) does a heck of a lot to make his team better but it is because he is top of the hill in the QB talent department. Green Bay is now in a lot of trouble cause the team doesn't have the talent it needs to compete.

Enter Harold Goodwin. In my opinion, he gets it. Screw continuity on the offensive line. SCREW IT. Get the talent on the roster first. Doing the same thing over and over again is the definition of what again ?

1. Levi Brown ? Out. Gone. Needed to happen 3 years ago, IMO.

2. Bobby Massie ? Had to EARN his job. This year. That is very important. What was good enough for some (including me), wasn't.

3. Eric Winston ? Brought in because the talent wasn't good enough. That is not been the Cardinal way for a long time, and thank goodness it has changed.

4. Paul Fanaika ? Mike Gibson ? Nate Potter ? <--- Debatable, but I feel this depth is way, way better then in year's past.

5. Earl Watford ? A showing of investing in the future. Still on the roster too, which is a rarity for offensive linemen drafted by the Cardinals in later rounds.

I like the search for talent at the expense of the offensive line continuity. Continuity would have Levi Brown still as our LT. Continuity would never give Bobby Massie a chance to redeem himself. Continuity doesn't even think about keeping Paul Fanaika on this roster, let alone have him start.

And it is not only on the offensive line, or just on the offense. Andre Ellington getting time, Stepfan Taylor getting time, bringing in Britten Golden, Teddy Williams, the challenging of Fitzgerald in his new role, bringing in Carson Palmer (who is an upgrade from poor to bad but still an upgrade to make us 4-4). Not to mention Karlos Dansby, John Abraham, Frostee Rucker, Matt Shaughnessey, Marcus Bernard, and the host of other talent that was sort through and brought in.

Talent, Talent, Talent. Find it keep it.

3. The Offensive line, the Quarterback, and the Dude :

Now can I go back to the offensive line again ?

2012:
Levi Brown
Daryn College
Lyle Sendlein
Adam Snyder
Bobby Massie

We will never make it to the big time until we get a bigtime QB. If our QB can play at that level from here on out this year we can still make the playoffs iMHO. On occasion he can play with the best of them but not consistently.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose