QBs in the draft

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It is an important position, and they are always in need. Not only to improve a team but the hype alone of a first round QB pick sells tickets. So, if we do not select a QB in round 1 (regardless of the quality in this class) we will be screwed. Probably three will go in round one (two probably being second round talent or worse with even the first like Smith being late 1st round talent in realty), leaving us with 3rd or 4th round talent options in round 2. Oh yes, then we will get a another late round talent just in a earlier round :D

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's true. The same thing happened two years ago when Ponder and Locker flew into the first round. The same thing will happen this year.

Obviously, I would prefer to get Geno Smith, but it looks like the chances of that happening aren't great. In watching a bunch of games recently of Barkley, Wilson, Nassib, and Glennon I think I like Nassib best. It's strange watching 2011 tape of Barkley and then watching 2012. There was a huge, huge dropoff and I don't know what exactly caused it. Even the statistical success Barkley had this year seemed to come off mainly dink and dunk stuff that Lee and Woods made big plays with after the catch. If Barkley could play more like he did in 2011, I'd be interested in him.

I don't like Tyler Wilson from the standpoint that he has a low delivery, while already having marginal height, and seems to be a chucker. Being a chucker doesn't bode well in the NFL. I love his character, but just don't think it's enough.

Glennon throws a great ball, but is literally one of the most immobile dudes you'll see at QB. He also seems to have a very soft personality and I'd prefer a true leader that fires up his squad.

Nassib seems to be the best combination of smarts, toughness, arm talent, and accuracy of the group. He's been coached by the former Saints OC, who was there with Brees from 06-08. I think he'll be a good indicator of if Nassib can be an NFL QB. I also read someone suggesting that Nassib might be the toughest player in the draft regardless of position.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Curious as to why you think Wilson has the most upside. Not saying he doesn't, just curious as to why you think he does.
just watch him playing..i like how he stay in the pockET..i like the way he throws.HAS GOOD ACCURACY.is not scared to make difficult throws..he is a leader...this is what is required to be a nfl succesfull starter

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
It's true. The same thing happened two years ago when Ponder and Locker flew into the first round. The same thing will happen this year.

Obviously, I would prefer to get Geno Smith, but it looks like the chances of that happening aren't great. In watching a bunch of games recently of Barkley, Wilson, Nassib, and Glennon I think I like Nassib best. It's strange watching 2011 tape of Barkley and then watching 2012. There was a huge, huge dropoff and I don't know what exactly caused it. Even the statistical success Barkley had this year seemed to come off mainly dink and dunk stuff that Lee and Woods made big plays with after the catch. If Barkley could play more like he did in 2011, I'd be interested in him.

I don't like Tyler Wilson from the standpoint that he has a low delivery, while already having marginal height, and seems to be a chucker. Being a chucker doesn't bode well in the NFL. I love his character, but just don't think it's enough.

Glennon throws a great ball, but is literally one of the most immobile dudes you'll see at QB. He also seems to have a very soft personality and I'd prefer a true leader that fires up his squad.

Nassib seems to be the best combination of smarts, toughness, arm talent, and accuracy of the group. He's been coached by the former Saints OC, who was there with Brees from 06-08. I think he'll be a good indicator of if Nassib can be an NFL QB. I also read someone suggesting that Nassib might be the toughest player in the draft regardless of position.

I like Wilson but I appreciate someone who gives a reason why they do not like him. The low delivery is a valid concern, but I would not call him a chucker if one reviews his play prior to this year, where the conditions around him where better in my opinion.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
the player with more upside is wilson

Wilson set a group of all time records for Arkansas. He won several SEC player of the month/year awards. May be the toughest QB in the nation. Very strong qrm and a very smart young man. Stayed on to graduate this year. A leaders leader and at 6'3' 230 looks like you expect a QB to look. Played in perhaps the best conference in the nation against the toughest competition. To me he is the best QB in the draft. Others will of course disagree as I am a homer. I doubt very much he will be there when we draft.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Wilson set a group of all time records for Arkansas. He won several SEC player of the month/year awards. May be the toughest QB in the nation. Very strong qrm and a very smart young man. Stayed on to graduate this year. A leaders leader and at 6'3' 230 looks like you expect a QB to look. Played in perhaps the best conference in the nation against the toughest competition. To me he is the best QB in the draft. Others will of course disagree as I am a homer. I doubt very much he will be there when we draft.

Wilson will go first round

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Until we fire our coaching staff and scouting staff, it doesn't matter who is available in the draft. We have the worst of both in our division by a MILE.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
A lot of you guys seem to like EJ Manuel. I have never been high on him and he doesn't garner much respect from some of the so-called experts. Here is Weidl's take on him:

Florida State QB EJ Manuel
I saw Manuel play live in 2012 and watched more tape of him recently, and there is a lot to like about his size (6-4⅝, 236), athleticism and above-average arm strength. However, his lack of anticipation on downfield passing windows is a concern. Manuel also showed a troubling inability to come up with big drives and big plays when his team needed them most. His struggles with the speed and pass rush of the Florida defense were notable. Manuel has the physical ability to buy time with his legs, but he doesn't show a lot of poise in the pocket. He is often too quick to pull the ball down and drop his eyes toward oncoming pass-rushers. Manuel could help himself during Senior Bowl week and in pre-draft workouts, but he looks like a developmental backup at the next level.

cardinalsfan

Veteran
Reaction score
Any quarterback is hard to predict the future, but I think especially so for Tyler Wilson. Which quarterback is he? Great leader, good accuracy, and more than enough arm. However, I believe his mechanics have become worse with this year as his offense line has been terrible. He could be like a Phillip Rivers or who knows how bad.

Some people to keep an eye are Mike Glennon from NC State. Does a good job reading the defense and has all the physical skills. Could be really good if he puts it all together. Or Aaron Murray from Georgia if he decides to leave. Looks to have everything except for height (he has a tendency for passes to be batted down).

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like Wilson but I appreciate someone who gives a reason why they do not like him. The low delivery is a valid concern, but I would not call him a chucker if one reviews his play prior to this year, where the conditions around him where better in my opinion.

Yah maybe I just caught him on the wrong games. He just seemed to make a few dangerous deep throws into coverage, seems to throw high pretty frequently, and throws behind his receivers a little more than I'd like to see. That said, I love the way the kid hangs in the pocket, he seems to see the field well, and I really like his temperament. I hope I'm wrong about him, and with the nightmare that was Arkansas football this year it couldn't help but to have a negative impact.

Any games in particular you guys would recommend watching on him?

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just went back and watched a bunch of Mike Glennon. The kid throws an incredible ball. Great arm, and extremely accurate (at least in what I watched). Don't know for sure if he's what I want, but I think he will be a top 15 pick without a doubt. Mike guess is a team like Buffalo will take him. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Glennon ends up the first QB drafted come April.

Last edited:

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I'm a huge 'cuse fan. Watched every game Nassib has played. Dude is Philly bred, as stereotypical philly as it gets. Isn't afraid to rocket every throw (similar to cutler early), will fight for yardage (similar to McCown). Great leader, and is clutch late in games. He WILL be a franchise qb in the NFL for any team smart enough to draft him. I would be fine with him in the first round, he is that good.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Geno Smith and Tyler Wilson are the only QB's I'd take with our top 10 pick. If they're both gone I'm taking Warmack and a QB later.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm a huge 'cuse fan. Watched every game Nassib has played. Dude is Philly bred, as stereotypical philly as it gets. Isn't afraid to rocket every throw (similar to cutler early), will fight for yardage (similar to McCown). Great leader, and is clutch late in games. He WILL be a franchise qb in the NFL for any team smart enough to draft him. I would be fine with him in the first round, he is that good.
I have only watched about 5 games worth of pass attempts for Nassib, but would have to agree with everything you said at this point. Dude has an absolute cannon, is accurate on most throws and is very good at staying in the pocket and getting the ball out at the very last second for big plays. The only thing I haven't been very impressed with is deep ball accuracy, he seems to have a lot of under throws and overthrows on deep balls, but otherwise seems accurate on just about every other throw that I can think of.

Also something I noticed while watching film was that his receivers dropped a lot of passes and that is something I would expect to happen a lot less at the NFL level. I saw some pretty routine catches being dropped and it would appear that every once in a while his arm strength is a little too much for his current teammates.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Without a doubt my two choices are Wilson and Nassib. My last two options, in fact they are not options in my mind, are Barkley and Manuel.

I haven't seen enough of Glennon to form an opinion. Tyler Bray is the wildcard. I have seen him look great and look terrible.

I never noticed a low delivery from Wilson but I will look for it. However, I don't think it is a huge concern. I just looked it up and Matt Stafford, the guy Wilson reminds me of the most, is also 6'3 and have you watched his release? It looks like he's throwing sidearm half the time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson