Proposal: Extra points moved to the 25 yard line.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The extra point in the NFL is a given, a virtual statistical certainty. As such, the NFL is considering methods to liven up the point attempt, and one method could involve moving the spot of the attempt all the way back to the 25-yard line.

In January, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell began hinting that the days of the extra point as we know it are numbered, in large part because the conversion rate is a staggering 99.6 percent. "Are there any plays in the game that really are not consequential?" Goodell said at the time. "You want to add excitement with every play."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...the-extra-point-a-42-yard-kick-151607806.html

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Seems like that would make the outcome of games even more dependent on kickers and I don't think most people would want that.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
mmm.,i will make 45 yard field goal so there will be more 2 points conversion attempts

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Talk about fundamental change. Goodell is an idiot.

A change long overdue IMO. 99.5% chance to score should be changed IMO. I would love to see it moved back or done away with completely.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think it would suck ass. Imagine you're in the NFC championship, go down to tie the score, and lose because some douche kicker misses the extra point. I know kickers decide games all the time but this would make it a more consistent feature and I'm against it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it would suck ass. Imagine you're in the NFC championship, go down to tie the score, and lose because some douche kicker misses the extra point. I know kickers decide games all the time but this would make it a more consistent feature and I'm against it.

Kickers are marginalized as it is and I don't like that. I'd rather see players go for two more often and if this what it takes, I'm all for it.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't like it. They way I see it, the team scored a TD so they should get an shot at an almost automatic point. If they want more, they have to go for two. There is still the outside chance that the other team stops the extra point as well.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why even bother with an extra point if the success rate is well over 99% then?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I like it. They need to do something to make the extra point less automatic. I mean, it is called an "extra" point, not an automatic point.

LDL

Veteran
Reaction score
I'd be down with moving to the 20. Plays into the red zone significance. A 37/38 yarder would put some significance on the extra point and a kickers role in the game. On a side note good ole Roger needs to stop tinkering with the game.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it. They need to do something to make the extra point less automatic. I mean, it is called an "extra" point, not an automatic point.

+1

Make a fake extra point try worth a full 6 points if they somehow score a touchdown.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Where is this going to stop, because we have never had a commissioner who has been so out of control in changing anything he can. I cannot recall any fans voicing openly about the extra point but this idiot in charge wants to change it. I wish the owners would just impeach this guy before we do not even recognize the game in a few years. I can see change when evidence points to player safety but this commissioner thinks he is bigger than the game itself. I think the very reason Nike has the uniform contract is because they are as radical as Goodell... I mean just look at Tampa Bay's uniform
If you must change the rule because it is too automatic, I have the perfect solution. It is called an 'extra' point, extra to the touchdown just scored. The change, you leave the distance right where it is now but the person who scored the TD has to be the one kicking the extra point :)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised by how polarizing this is. I for one love the idea.

Question for those against it, would you prefer the NFL doing away with the extra point entirely, make a TD with 7 and if you want to gamble on a 2 pt attempt you risk "losing" the extra point and only getting 6?

I certainly think it should be one or the other. As it is currently setup the PAT only serves to risk player injury. I have little doubt significantly more players were hurt on PAT tries last season than PATs actually missing.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Move it back I say! As someone else said it's called an extra point not an automatic point. I do think the 20 is a better place for it. I too would like to see more 2 point conversions tried.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised by how polarizing this is. I for one love the idea.

Question for those against it, would you prefer the NFL doing away with the extra point entirely, make a TD with 7 and if you want to gamble on a 2 pt attempt you risk "losing" the extra point and only getting 6?

I certainly think it should be one or the other. As it is currently setup the PAT only serves to risk player injury. I have little doubt significantly more players were hurt on PAT tries last season than PATs actually missing.

Don't forget that the Cards beat the Cowboys in 2010 because the Dallas kicker missed an Extra Point. That alone is reason enough to leave it as is. :D

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Why even bother with an extra point if the success rate is well over 99% then?

The Cardinals have had at least 3 to 4 games decided by the extra point over the last 4 years.

I cannot fathom how people (not you directly, just in general) forget these things and call the play insignificant.

Its part of the game, don't change a thing, IMHO.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Don't forget that the Cards beat the Cowboys in 2010 because the Dallas kicker missed an Extra Point. That alone is reason enough to leave it as is. :D

Then there is the game vs. the Redskins a few years back that the Cardinals lost because they missed an extra point.

There is at least two more Cardinals related situations where it comes into play.

Least we not forgot the Saints once missed the playoffs because they missed the extra point.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
There are 512 regular season games per year. Let say 5 games are decided by a miss extra point and that may be generous. That comes out to .009 percent of the games played that year. That is less that one in 100 games. I imagine most of them are misses too not blocked kicks. Moving it back to the 20 would probably make that margin substantially larger.

I wonder how many games are won with an extra point? I am sure we have all sat there watching our team lose a game by a point knowing that the extra point is almost always automatic. Wouldn't it give you some hope that now if it was from the 20 your team at least had a chance to block the kick or have the kicker miss it. I know it works the other way too. I am willing to bet all of us are shocked when a extra point goes astray.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

So you're saying it would add suspense/excitement?

That's horrible!

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals have had at least 3 to 4 games decided by the extra point over the last 4 years.

I cannot fathom how people (not you directly, just in general) forget these things and call the play insignificant.

Its part of the game, don't change a thing, IMHO.
No, they haven't. A missed extra point has been the difference in one Cardinals game in the past four seasons, the Dallas game mentioned above. The Cardinals themselves haven't missed a PAT since 2008 (which didn't matter). The league in general only missed 5 last year out of over 1200, none of those misses affected the outcome of a game.