Problem with Neighbors

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Skratchy_Seal, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Skratchy_Seal

Skratchy_Seal Registered Contributor

I live in San Diego, but I also own a house in Phoenix.

I go to AZ for Cardinals games, and to also visit family. The house I own is not occupied full-time, but I have family that checks on it once a week when I’m not there.

I have this problem with neighbors from two houses across the street from me, where they or their guests constantly block half my driveway. They have a lot of other cars parked on the curb on both sides of the street, so it’s not easy to maneuver in and out of the other half the driveway I can access. I’ve asked them not to block the driveway, but they persist even when they say they won’t do this anymore.

I drove back to AZ again yesterday, and now, there is a giant puddle of transmission fluid running down my driveway! I was just here on Sunday, and it wasn’t there before. I cleaned it up, and I didn’t talk to anyone, since the car was no longer there. Nonetheless, I was furious.

I’ve never told anyone that the house is not always occupied. I always talk like I live there full-time. I have lights and everything on timers, but I guess someone eventually figured out that no one is there most of the time.

I don’t know what to do anymore and what other options I have, other than selling or renting out the house. I just don’t see this stopping, and now, it’s actually worse.

Thoughts?

2. thirty-two

thirty-two boglehead Contributor

Do you have an HOA? My HOA sent me a notice that my neighbor’s car (HOA thought was my car though) was parked in front of my house too often. And they gave warning that if it continued I would be fined. Maybe you could file a complaint with the HOA? Assuming the HOA can control the street you live on...

But yeah that sucks. I’d probably just have another convo with the neighbors again.

3. Skratchy_Seal

Yeah I do have an HOA. Thanks and I’ll file a complaint with them. I’ve talked to the neighbors several times already, and I’m just under the impression that they just don’t care if talking to them more than once doesn’t net anything. It does also suck that I feel like I’m being tag teamed.

4. Hollywood

Hollywood is part black.

Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    What part of town is the house in? Maybe someone on here can swing by to up the visitation on the house.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. Hollywood

Hollywood is part black.

Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Or you can install cameras on the front of the house that can be monitored online. That way you can check in daily.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

cardncubfan likes this.
  6. Skratchy_Seal

The house is about about 2 miles away from State Farm Stadium, but that's okay about more people going to check up on it.

That's a great idea about the cameras. I don't have internet service there, but I don't mind getting basic service good enough for the cameras. You're talking about something like Nest, right?

I bought a couple of other things the last two days...I bought a FakeTV which looks pretty convincing to me haha. I also bought a programmable light switch for my driveway lights. I started to install the switch, and then realized I don't have a neutral wire running to the box.

I submitted a complaint to the HOA. Hopefully, I hear back this coming week.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  7. thirty-two

thirty-two boglehead Contributor

I live two miles from the stadium, depending which direction :)

I use Kuna (similar to Ring, but it installs right into your porch light). No monthly fee, but you can pay for certain amount of storage if you want. I also purchased one of their floodlight cameras but haven’t installed it yet. I’ve been very happy with them.

8. Finito

Finito Registered

We use Ring very happy with it. We have several all over the outside of the house.

The one we have above the garage has an alarm on it. Just push a button and it's loud as hell. Next time you get an alert just set off the alarm from your phone

9. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Check your HOA bylaws and CC&Rs, they may have rules about parking in the streets and especially on the sidewalk. If it's not a gated community the HOA rules will usually follow city rules which can prohibit extended parking on the streets. I think mine is 48hrs.

I think most HOAs go easy on the street parking in general, but if it's a nuisance they can step in and probably start fining them after a few warnings.

10. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I have Arlo cameras, they are awesome, totally wireless and send alerts to your phone. Only an up front purchase, it keeps 7 days of footage for free. Any footage you need to keep, you just hit download on it.

11. Skratchy_Seal

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I bought a Ring floodlight from Costco.com for $190. I don't have it yet, but I hope to try to install it by the end of the year. I really like the other suggestions like Kuna and Arlo. Arlo looks more low-profile to me, which I like, and the porch light from Kuna looks nice. I also heard about Konnected, which will work with an old security system, but without the headaches of dealing with a security company and false alarms for police. There's a lot of information pouring in, so it might take me some time, but I feel a lot better moving forward.

I haven't heard back from the HOA. I don't know if I have an old email address. The website I have for them doesn't work anymore. I'll be back in the area this weekend, so I'll check my HOA bill there for contact info. I think I remember seeing street parking not being permitted in the neighborhood, but personally, I'm not opposed to others street parking as long as people don't park on my driveway or block any access to it.

12. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Longest serving ASFN lurker

I think the camera will definitely help. If anything, it will provide you evidence to show the HOA.

13. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Not only that but they'll know when and which vehicles are parked in the driveway and can call to have them towed. Won't take too many of those before they get the message.

Town Drunk likes this.
  14. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

Bumping. Looking for some home security recommendations to research. Need something to scare off thieves. Thanks!

15. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I use Arlo cameras for surveillance but wouldnt necessarily scare away thieves.