Prinz's groin injury

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
Any word on how long he'll be out, and who they are going to replace him with in the bullpen?

DinT...recovering from a long weekend of disappointing DBacks baseball.

adbacksfan

Rookie
Reaction score
The Az Republic said they would know more by today after he undergoes an MRI. It said he would probably be put on the DL and they might consider bringing back Mike Jackson. If they do that however, they would have to make room on the 40 man roster. If he wont be out long they may just bring up someone from AAA.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Grade 3 strain, which I gather involves a partial tear - absolute minimum 6-8 weeks; he starts very slow and careful rehab in about 2 weeks. So with luck, more realistically, pitching for us again around All-Star break time. I didn't hear anything, but saw Robbie Hammock in the dugout, so gather he's up for a couple days at least. (Schillingfan, don't I win something for making that rather unlikely prediction?) That's exciting, bet he's high as a kite. Hope he gets a chance to get on the field while he's up.

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
This is a quote from the East Valley Tribune.

"The D-Backs did talk Tuesday with the agent for reliever Mike Jackson, one of the last cuts Saturday. But the team is expected to fill from within when it goes back to 11 pitchers, as soon as Thursday".

My guess is, if they promote from within, it will probably be Brandon Webb. The big club needs him, and probably is our best option right now. Every thing I heard about Brandon this spring was positive. Our baby backs are going to have to grow up in a hurry. If Brandon is brought up the once promising rotation of the Sidewinders this year doesn't look as promising.

Edit

Don't be surprised when they call up another pitcher that Hammock will be kept and Overbay sent down. Robby can play both corner infield positions, both corner outfield positions and also catch. Robby can get some starts at first against lefties, and Grace will start against righties.

Last edited:

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
They said on the TV pre-game (yes I got to watch on MLB TV) that Hammock probably was only up until Colorado, since you always need a lot of pitchers at Coors Field. I suspect they weren't sure who to bring up so they'll see who is pitching well in relief at Tucson and then bring him up.

Yes - Zenny, your prescience on young D-Backs is amazing. Villareal and Hammock. Good calls.

OP
OP
D

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think Overbay will be sent down this soon, and I don't see hammock as an answer to boosting the offense. I also hope Brandon Webb isn't called up. I'd like to see them keep him at Tucson so he can develop further as a starter. Jeremy Ward could be a good option. Although he didn't pitch all that much this spring, he was effective.

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Derek in Tucson
I don't think Overbay will be sent down this soon, and I don't see hammock as an answer to boosting the offense. I also hope Brandon Webb isn't called up. I'd like to see them keep him at Tucson so he can develop further as a starter. Jeremy Ward could be a good option. Although he didn't pitch all that much this spring, he was effective.

I agree with you about Webb. He needs to develop as a starter. I know Ward had some arm problems, has he fully made it back yet? He throws hard I know. I will be surprised if the D-Backs go out of the organization to fill Prinz's spot. Mike Jackson can't be the answer or they wouldn't have cut him.

AZZenny

Reaction score
On BB's Weds radio show he said that 'the logical guy to come out of the bullpen for us is Oscar Villareal' and was a little evasive when asked if they'd be exchanging Hammock for a pitcher, saying decisions would be made after tonight's game, but that fans can expect to see a LOT of traffic up and down I-10 this year, and lots of babybacks getting time with the club - a series here, a couple games there... both to reward them, to give the team a chance to really see what they can do, and to groom for the not-too-distant future. I know Hammock said he was really impressed being around Craig Counsell and that has changed his notion of becoming a super-utility player. (Like all youngsters, I'm sure he would rather imagine himself as the next Paul LoDuca, but reality offers you a sandwich, you're smart to take it and not hold out for souffle. Or something. Gift horses, etc.)

AZ Daily Star suggested they may be calling JPat up - so could he be viewed as very long relief/starter and Villareal be temporarily moving to the BP?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson